Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to give Steven Kelly his cup of coffee?

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Is it time to give Steven Kelly his cup of coffee?

Kelly is 6-2 this year with the Lookouts in 10 starts. His ERA is 2.65 allowing only 2hrs in 54 innings pitched. He has allowed 55 hits and 20 walks, which tells me he knows how to get out of trouble, or he allows a lot of two out hits. He's 27 years old, which also tells me he is at a cross-roads in his career. Does anybody know how he has pitched in Spring training? Was he invited this year? Has he ever pitched in Louisville?

With our pitching problems, does he deserve a start in the big leagues, or a call up to the bullpen? How fast does he throw?
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Is it time to give Steven Kelly his cup of coffee?

He has pitched in AAA, but poorly. Until he picthes decent there, he should not see a Reds uniform IMO. He would not be an improvement.

Ah, that's where Steve Kelly ended up - AA...

Not right now - but would have been interesting last year.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

At his age, we have to find out sooner or later if he's ready. It couldn't hurt to take a look at him, but I wouldn't want to mess up his development. Then again, the only way to find out if he's a career minor leaguer or if he has a chance of a career in the majors is to take a look at him. It couldn't hurt.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    He has pitched in AAA, but poorly. Until he picthes decent there, he should not see a Reds uniform IMO. He would not be an improvement.
    Was he sent down this year, or did he start the year in AA?
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Not the if but the eventual when the Reds fall out of conjtention I say lets find out with him. This is not meant as a negative against this great season , I am just being realistic is all.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Steve Kelly is 27 years old -- the fact that he's never so much as sniffed the bigs by now is a big red warning light that he probably lacks the makeup to be anything more than minor league roster filler. He posted middling AAA numbers last year (104 IP, 4.82 ERA, 67K, 41BB, 1.42 WHIP).

I'd guess he might be worth a promotion, but he's not even top-5 of "Pitchers to Watch" in Chattanooga -- Phil Dumatrait has superior numbers (save for ERA) to Kelly as a starter, and it's hard to argue with what Medlock, Shafer, Gueavara and Coutlangas have put up thus far in relief:

Code:
    Player 	    W 	L 	ERA 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	HB 	BB 	SO 	WHIP 	HLD 	GF 
    Kelly	    6	2	2.65	10	10	0	0	0	54.1	55	23	16	2	3	20	41	1.38	0	0
    Dumatrait   3	3	3.27	9	9	0	0	0	44.0	31	18	16	3	1	18	41	1.11	0	0
    Guevara	    1	1	2.54	18	0	0	0	0	28.1	20	9	8	2	1	12	37	1.13	3	3
    Coutlangus  1	1	1.75	21	0	0	0	3	25.2	14	8	5	0	5	11	26	0.97	4	10
    Medlock	    5	2	2.28	14	0	0	0	0	23.2	18	8	6	1	1	12	24	1.27	2	3
    Shafer	    0	0	1.53	18	0	0	0	15	17.2	12	4	3	1	1	6	20	1.02	0	17
    All four of them are due promotions before Kelly, IMO, and I don't think any promotion should occur for at least a couple weeks more. Give these guys a chance to dominate and gain confidence in their stuff.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    Was he sent down this year, or did he start the year in AA?
    He started this year in AA. He started last year in AAA, and was pretty hot for the first 2 months or so. If he was ever going to get a look that would've been the time. He crashed back to reality pretty badly after that start, and then wound up on the DL at the end of the year.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I would hope Steve Kelly is being kept around as an organization guy who is helping youngsters and possibly as a coach when they have to cut him loose as a player.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Actually, he did great in AAA while he was healthy. He had a 1.83 ERA on May 22. But he then started having physical problems that led to him being on DL for rest of year in July.

So, I expect him to get promoted to AAA by mid-July as long as he is still pitching well, and could easily be in the Reds plans.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Kelly was my post-draft pick to be first to the majors out of the 2001 draft, although I noted Nick Markakis as an extreme dark horse as a lefty pitcher. Markakis won, but for the Orioles and not as a pitcher. Sowers will make it, maybe Shafer as the only Red, and probably nobody else

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...id=cin&year=01

Interestingly, the Bengals have one of the Reds' picks on their roster right now-- QB Erik Meyer.

I think it would be nice if Kelly could make a decent living pitching for Chattanooga. For whatever reason, he thrives in the Southern League. He's not blessed with stuff and chances are he's never going to be a positive factor for the Reds. I'm sure he'll get his cup of coffee one of these years, but I'd prefer it be in September.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Sowers will make it, maybe Shafer as the only Red, and probably nobody else
    Burning question:

Will Jeff Bannon get as many ABs for the Reds as Erik Meyer (choice #37, 2001 draft) gets snaps for the Bengals?

I think Bannon and Jessie Gutierrez both have an outside shot at a swig of convenience-store coffee with Cincy before all is said and done.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    I think Bannon and Jessie Gutierrez both have an outside shot at a swig of convenience-store coffee with Cincy before all is said and done.
    Gutierrez for sure, probably this September. He's been a bulwark for every team on which he's ever played. Along with Kelly, he could have a great career in the minors if only the system allowed for such things.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Kelly was injured the entire second half of last year (shoulder, I think). He pitched fairly well at the beginning of the season, and took several poundings, pushing his ERA to near 5, before shutting it down. He was in the low 3's for most of last year. I'm surprised he's had to start at AA and labor behind guys like Chris Michalak and Darrell May who aren't coming back to the big leagues unless the entire Reds rotation is time-machined to 1967 and sent to Vietnam.

Turn Off Ads?