Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryan Howard doesn't pull the ball, at all.

Re: Ryan Howard doesn't pull the ball, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    John Kruk started out that way with the Padres.
    Kruk was never a power hitter the likes of Howard.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Kruk was never a power hitter the likes of Howard.
    True, but I just remember him hitting a lot of his homers the other way early in his career. He even stole a few bases from what I remember. I'd love to see some old footage of him as a Padre.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    True, but I just remember him hitting a lot of his homers the other way early in his career. He even stole a few bases from what I remember. I'd love to see some old footage of him as a Padre.
    John Kruk = a baseball player who makes the beer league softball players feel good about themselves.

BTW Clark, have you ever seen an opposite field HR where the batter pulled his hands in?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    In the series against the Reds he hit a HR to left-center(opp field) and he pulled his hands in on the swing. I pointed out that I had never, and I mean that literally, seen a opposite field HR when a hitter pulled their hands in. It was truly amazing.

Mo Vaughn
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The sad part? At the time the Reds were sending Todd Jones and Corey Lidle to the Phils for dreck, Howard was blocked by Thome and readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    The sad part? At the time the Reds were sending Todd Jones and Corey Lidle to the Phils for dreck, Howard was blocked by Thome and readily available.
    I doubt Howard was available

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    I doubt Howard was available
    Thome was in the second year of a 6 year deal and mashing the ball. Howard was as available as it gets.

From everything I had heard, Howard was not available at any point from the Phillies. Regardless of the fact that they had Thome signed, he was not available.

Howard definitely was not available at any point. Ed Wade grouped him with Utley, Floyd, Hamels, and Madson as guys that he absolutely refused to trade. While Wade made more than his fair share of goofy moves, his stance against trading Howard is one thing I am pleased with.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Howard definitely was not available at any point. Ed Wade grouped him with Utley, Floyd, Hamels, and Madson as guys that he absolutely refused to trade. While Wade made more than his fair share of goofy moves, his stance against trading Howard is one thing I am pleased with.
    Sorry, Stewie, but Wade's story doesn't hold any water. Why sign Thome to a six year deal if you had an untouchable stud 1B waiting in the wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Sorry, Stewie, but Wade's story doesn't hold any water. Why sign Thome to a six year deal if you had an untouchable stud 1B waiting in the wings?
    The season before Thome was signed (2002), Howard was in low-A and had an alright season, but probably could have been better given his age (22) and level. He was an ok prospect (around 10th best in the organization if I recall -- I'm going by memory, I can't find a top prospects list from that year), but he was hardly a sure thing. He fully came into his own and became a top prospect the following season in high-A, which was Thome's first year in Philadelphia. So Howard wasn't waiting in the wings when Thome was signed. He still had a ways to go. Had Howard's breakthrough occured a year before it actually did, I don't know if Thome would have been signed. I guess instead of saying "at any point" I should have clarified and said "at any point in 2004," the season of the Lidle and Jones trades.

Turn Off Ads?