Turn Off Ads?

Thread: My oh MY!! What to do..

My oh MY!! What to do..

Right, guys.. I have never been a Hatteberg fan,but lets face it.. the guy is hot right now. We got Rich, Mr. Pimp clutch.. so what we gonna do with Encarnacion? He is too good to keep on the bench, he aint as hot as the others (wich arent too hot either) but you cant sit a guy like that. Encarnacion is young, shows immaculant tallent.. and will only improve. I am lost guys... You have any suggestions about our daily line-up?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: My oh MY!! What to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_21
    Right, guys.. I have never been a Hatteberg fan,but lets face it.. the guy is hot right now. We got Rich, Mr. Pimp clutch.. so what we gonna do with Encarnacion? He is too good to keep on the bench, he aint as hot as the others (wich arent too hot either) but you cant sit a guy like that. Encarnacion is young, shows immaculant tallent.. and will only improve. I am lost guys... You have any suggestions about our daily line-up?

This board has plenty of suggestions about the daily line-up, 95% of which will never actually ever happen. Ever.

I'm a little troubled by the premise of your thread, though. Short term solution, Aurillia maybe be a little "hotter" at the plate than EE. Long term solution = EE.

EE needs to be in the lineup at least 5 out of 7 days of the week, just to develop. This is the same reason why Denorfia is in AAA: getting everyday playing time. The Rich/Hat Experience needs to continue to be a 1B platoon if Narron or the rest of the Reds organization doesn't have the stones to find a Sharpie and write "1B Dunn" on every lineup card in the clubhouse.

Mr. Pimp clutch
    Love the term.

Rich and The Hat should keep splitting time, EE should start 95% of the time at 3rd.
    Go Gators!

What it really comes down to if you want to field the best defensive team or the best offensive team. For the best defensive team, that would be Rich at 3B and Hatteburg at 1B. The best offensive team would be a combination of the 3 based on starting pitchers... which is exactly what Narron has been attempting all along.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Somewhere along the way, this team has forgotten what Hatteberg and even Aurilia were brought here for. As mentioned above, have the guts to move Dunn to 1B and open a spot for either Freel or even Denorfio in the outfield. It seems like it comes down to a choice of Freel or Hatteberg in the lineup and even if Freel hits .250, he ignites this team whereas Hatteberg may have a good OBP but he offers little else for now or the future.

Ride 'em while they're hot, deal 'em when you get the chance.

Dan O'Brien actually had the right idea with Joe Randa last year, but the execution of said idea was the problem.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Long term solution- Edwin

Short term solution- Edwin

He is better than Rich NOW, and will get better as time goes on. People talk like Rich is the heart of the lineup and is a gold glover, but he isn't. He's a great player to have in a utility role/platoon, but he isn't a great starter. Starting him over Eddie or any other young player (remember when he was starting over Kearns?) is just stupid. I don't even feel that he is the best short term solution. Encarnacian has cooled down, but is a much better hitter.
    Weathers' W/L when I am attending (2009): 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by NastyBoy
    What it really comes down to if you want to field the best defensive team or the best offensive team. For the best defensive team, that would be Rich at 3B and Hatteburg at 1B. The best offensive team would be a combination of the 3 based on starting pitchers... which is exactly what Narron has been attempting all along.
    I heartily disagree that RA is the best offensive choice at 3B just because he's made a couple of really good plays there.

EE has tons more range on a consistent basis than RA does. Even though he's screwed up some throws, that's part of the learning curve for a young guy who hasn't been in the majors very long.

In addition, several throws by EE were bad simply because he's adept at knocking down/stopping balls that RA would never have gotten to in the first place! That will improve... if he ever plays third again consistently... and for the future of this team, he must!

RA will not be stepping foot on a ballfield in a few more years... EE will just be starting to really rip it up.

And one more thing, RA should never ever bat fourth in the lineup. That's happened way too much this season and should stop immediately if not sooner. Just a very very poor move on the part of JN... I can understand his trying it out once or twice, but it would seem that just plain old common sense should kick in and JN would realize that this does NOTHING to add productivity in the lineup; if anything it detracts... RA should not be in that slot. Period! Yet, over and over, that's where we see him. IMHO, it's dumb and I would love to know why JN persists in doing it.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 05-30-2006 at 01:00 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

To me the decision is easy platoon Rich and Hat at first base play Edwin at third and use Aurillia to give Edwin a day off when he needs one. We have too many part time players on this team vying for roles which takes at bats away from those who need them.

Tremendously harm the development of the best third base prospect this franchise has generated in decades in the name of playing an aging, rangeless vet on a team that won't be vying for a playoff spot?

Sign me up.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Edwin has to play. At times he looks brilliant out there, at times he botches up plays that he shouldn't.

He has to grow into the position, and he can't do that from the bench. He's only 23 years old, and benching him after a misplay in the field may be worse for him than letting him play through it.

Rich is not a better option at 3rd, his range is sorely lacking, maybe he'll make sure plays n the few balls he can get too.

EE is the better option all the way around.
    Go Gators!

Bump... nice to have the ole shizzle as a backup.

The ole shizzle starts at 3B and has a career game.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Turn Off Ads?