Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone have TiVo? If so, I need a little help.

Anyone have TiVo? If so, I need a little help.

I got a sweet TiVo machine for my birthday, problem is I just recently disconnected my land line in favor of my cell phone.

Apparently, you've got to plug the sucker into a phone jack, or go buy some high tech doohicky that will link it to my broadband connection.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you deal with it?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: Anyone have TiVo? If so, I need a little help.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    I got a sweet TiVo machine for my birthday, problem is I just recently disconnected my land line in favor of my cell phone.

Apparently, you've got to plug the sucker into a phone jack, or go buy some high tech doohicky that will link it to my broadband connection.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you deal with it?
    I don't think there is any way around that if you want the programming information (and you likely do).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ne#post4075519

From the Tivo forum:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fleck
    Thanks for all your help guys. I have a few more questiions:

1. Since I dont have a wireless adapter or a landline phone, do I need to get one of the two to get the guide data for the tivo?

Yes. TiVo needs to get online either through its built-in modem or online through an adapter in order to get the guide data.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fleck
    2. Can I use any USB wireless adapter? I went on ebay to check out if they had any cheap tivo brand ones and theres all different kinds. Can I use the same one I use to connect my desktop to my wireless connection?

No you MUST use an adapter from the list here: http://www.tivo.com/adapters
    Nothing else will work. One of the reasons is that TiVo uses Linux under the covers and TiVo was able to get drivers to work for these particular adapters.

If you are going wireless, your best bet is to purchase the TiVo wirelsss adapter. It's designed specifically to make updates on the TiVo work better.

GL

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

wheels - honestly, they "require" you to have it, but I don't have one and I have two TiVos and don't have a problem.

The TiVo unit itself pings me about once a day with a notice that it has been "X" days since I have communicated with the mother ship but I just select the "ok" button and go on.

Honestly, instead of paying for a home phone and getting all the telemarketing calls, I'd rather just keep dealing with the once a day prompting of TiVo than that.

Also of note is that if your box is a TiVo/DirecTV combo, the USB ports in the back are disabled. You would need to crack open the case and reload the hard drive with the right drivers in order to enable them.

Just in case you were thinking about the wireless option.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    wheels - honestly, they "require" you to have it, but I don't have one and I have two TiVos and don't have a problem.

The TiVo unit itself pings me about once a day with a notice that it has been "X" days since I have communicated with the mother ship but I just select the "ok" button and go on.

Honestly, instead of paying for a home phone and getting all the telemarketing calls, I'd rather just keep dealing with the once a day prompting of TiVo than that.
    Okay...Before I order one of those wireless adapters, are you telling me that you can still record stuff without all of that stuff?

You're still able to use it in the same way?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    In this case, what is "it"? A landline?

Without a connection you can't download the programming info, correct? If thats the case, I don't believe you can use the season pass, search, etc. To me, that is one of the better features of the TiVo.

GL

I have my direcTivos hacked and no phone line attacked, a little program runs that pretends to make a call, season passes and all work fine
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?