Thread: 5-30 minor league updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 5-30 minor league updates

Bailey plays for the Sarasota Reds, not Dayton Dragons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine

He's inconsistent.

I'm not giving up on him, but he needs to start dominating, and soon. The great one's typically dominate the minors...Bailey has yet to do that.
    I think the expectations put on the guy are too high. Like I said in another thread, he isn't the Hope Diamond. We would have seen that right away. He could still turn out to be a good major league pitcher, but he simply isn't the once in a decade type some expect him to be. Honestly, I'd be happy if the guy could put up Harang like numbers down the road. The Reds haven't developed something of that caliber in a very long time.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Another disappointing performance by Bailey so far.

2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 1 K against a weak lineup. I'm starting to think this guy is never going to put it together.
    lol.. jeez.. the guy is 20..

PATIENCE!
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    I think the expectations put on the guy are too high. Like I said in another thread, he isn't the Hope Diamond. We would have seen that right away. He could still turn out to be a good major league pitcher, but he simply isn't the once in a decade type some expect him to be. Honestly, I'd be happy if the guy could put up Harang like numbers down the road. The Reds haven't developed something of that caliber in a very long time.
    I agree. He wasn't even rated as having the best "stuff" in that draft. Verlander and Rodgers were. Bailey got a lot of his allies through his frame/mechanics(Which Krivsky even admitted himself is important) which lead to him being called the "complete" package before the draft, but he didn't go in the top 3 and it wasn't because of signability reasons. He is a pure "smooth" power pitcher with decent stuff. He is also very green due to IMO playing in a pretty low competitive level in HS.

Reds fans are so desperate for a stud they will overrate pitchers like Cueto for example who put together a few good starts in a row on his proper age level and bash Bailey because they struggle adjusting to a league no matter how "pitching friendly" is 21.

Bailey got a lot of his allies through his frame/mechanics
    What happened to all this projectability talk? I hate to be the one to complain about a fastball that reaches 97MPH, but wasn't he doing that two years and 20 pounds ago? He's now got his right arm hanging off of a glorious pitching frame, and everything I read about him says he throws 91-94. That's obviously good, but crap, Belisle can do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    What happened to all this projectability talk? I hate to be the one to complain about a fastball that reaches 97MPH, but wasn't he doing that two years and 20 pounds ago? He's now got his right arm hanging off of a glorious pitching frame, and everything I read about him says he throws 91-94. That's obviously good, but crap, Belisle can do that!
    His last start he threw 97.

Two thirds of the earth's surface is covered by water.

The rest is covered by Chris Denorfia.
    That's quite possibly the greatest quote of all-time. Brings back some good Chuck Norris memories.

Brad Salmon seems to be figuring it out this year. If he keeps it up I'd expect him to make the Reds some time this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Reds fans are so desperate for a stud they will overrate pitchers like Cueto for example who put together a few good starts in a row on his proper age level and bash Bailey because they struggle adjusting to a league no matter how "pitching friendly" is 21.
    I assume you are talking about me.

Cueto has put together two outstanding months. Like Bailey, Cueto has great stuff and unlike Bailey, Cueto also consistently produces. That's what separates the two: consistency. If I had to choose between the two right now for who I would want to keep, I would choose Cueto. I like Homer Bailey, and I think he has a chance to be a great pitcher, right now he just isn't consistently dominating like a guy with his talent should be.

I assume you are talking about me.

Cueto has put together two outstanding months. Like Bailey, Cueto has great stuff and unlike Bailey, Cueto also consistently produces. That's what separates the two: consistency. If I had to choose between the two right now for who I would want to keep, I would choose Cueto. I like Homer Bailey, and I think he has a chance to be a great pitcher, right now he just isn't consistently dominating like a guy with his talent should be.
    OBM, Cueto is 20 in low A. Bailey is 20 in high A. The spectre of Bailey being a "slow developer" was there during his rookie time in 2004. Whatever it is, the lightbulb hasn't gone on yet, though it has flickered on during some starts(or during a muddled start even).

Switch Cueto and Bailey around, I bet their results also switch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    OBM, Cueto is 20 in low A. Bailey is 20 in high A. The spectre of Bailey being a "slow developer" was there during his rookie time in 2004. Whatever it is, the lightbulb hasn't gone on yet, though it has flickered on during some starts(or during a muddled start even).

Switch Cueto and Bailey around, I bet their results also switch as well.
    Cueto is pitching in a more hitter friendly league, IIRC. I bet Cueto could produce at the same, if not higher, leven than Bailey currently is in Sarasota.

Cueto is pitching in a more hitter friendly league, IIRC. I bet Cueto could produce at the same, if not higher, leven than Bailey currently is in Sarasota.
    hitter friendly, pitching friendly. I have heard it to often, I bet Cueto doesn't. When you move up a level, you move up a level. It is as simple as that. Move Bailey down to low A his proper age level, his ERA would drop below 3 after 2-3 starts.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Cueto pitches in a more hitter friendly league, but Bailey pitches in a more hitter friendly home park compared to the rest of his league. The park factor of Dayton is 1060 (league factor of 975), the park factor of Sarasotas park is 1040 (league factor of 896). While it may be more hitter friendly in the MWL, there are better hitters in the FSL.

Regardless of the explanation used, Homer Bailey is becoming Exhibit A as to why a pitching starved, developmentally challenged organization had no business taking a raw 18 year-old HS pitcher as a high number 1 in the draft three years ago.

He may be all that his supporters think he will be, but it does not change the fact that type of project was not what this team needed to take on at the time. Besides the money, they just did not have the time to wait for him to develop.

Because I love analogies, picking Bailey was like buying the ingredients to make a slow roasted yankee pot roast, paying top dollar for a good cut of meat, baby carrots, celery hearts, idaho bakers, putting it all in a slow cooker and letting that baby cook for hours. Man, does that smell good. Look at that broth. Yummy. Did I mention the dinner guests were coming over in half an hour?

Daggone it, should have just bought some charcoal and some big, fat steaks and thrown them on the barby. They will be very good eating, maybe not quite like a slow roasted slab of beef, but only require a few mintues to cook, and will feed hungry folks now, when they are hungry, instead of making them wait for hours.

An added twist is that the cut of meat wasn't really as good as it was presented in the store and they cannot even eat it. They gave it to the neighbors, where the husband is a chef and an expert at making something out of nothing.

Now, everyone's still hungry and needs to eat, but it wasn't ready when they were there and when it was ready, it wasn't even any good. I guess they're stuck going to McDonald's for a quarter pounder that has been under a heat lamp for half an hour. And boy, have we been forced to eat a lot of those over the last three years.
    Last edited by traderumor; 05-31-2006 at 03:30 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Regardless of the explanation used, Homer Bailey is becoming Exhibit A as to why a pitching starved, developmentally challenged organization had no business taking a raw 18 year-old HS pitcher as a high number 1 in the draft three years ago.

He may be all that his supporters think he will be, but it does not change the fact that type of project was not what this team needed to take on at the time. Besides the money, they just did not have the time to wait for him to develop.

Because I love analogies, picking Bailey was like buying the ingredients to make a slow roasted yankee pot roast, paying top dollar for a good cut of meat, baby carrots, celery hearts, idaho bakers, putting it all in a slow cooker and letting that baby cook for hours. Man, does that smell good. Look at that broth. Yummy. Did I mention the dinner guests were coming over in half an hour?

Daggone it, should have just bought some charcoal and some big, fat steaks and thrown them on the barby. They will be very good eating, maybe not quite like a slow roasted slab of beef, but only require a few mintues to cook, and will feed hungry folks now, when they are hungry, instead of making them wait for hours.

An added twist is that the cut of meat wasn't really as good as it was presented in the store and they cannot even eat it. They gave it to the neighbors, where the husband is a chef and an expert at making something out of nothing.

Now, everyone's still hungry and needs to eat, but it wasn't ready when they were there and when it was ready, it wasn't even any good. I guess they're stuck going to McDonald's for a quarter pounder that has been under a heat lamp for half an hour. And boy, have we been forced to eat a lot of those over the last three years.
    who do you think the reds should have picked instead of bailey?

Turn Off Ads?