Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds acquire Yan

Re: Reds acquire Yan

Bob Castellini was at the game, having flown in this afternoon, and he did not look real pleased when John Fay and I encountered him walking through the stands on our way to the clubhouse. Also, Wayne Krivsky was reportedly on the phone to Jerry Narron shortly after the game ended.
    OH MY GAWD!!

Can you believe this was written about the owner and GM of the Cincinnati Reds?

I LOVE LIFE!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

The part about Wayne Krivsky being on the phone to Jerry Narron right after the game is what jumps out at me the most out of Marc's post.

What could that be all about?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Esteban Yan's stats don't look too good, that's for sure. But neither did Brandon Phillips' when he came over
    that is apples and oranges. Yan is a veteran with an established level of performance (replacement) while Phillips is a young guy who has some talent and potential upside.

With Yan you know what you are going to get which is exactly the reason I disliked White from day one. With Phillips you may not get performance any different than what you have seen in the past but at age 24 there is still likely to be some level of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    that is apples and oranges. Yan is a veteran with an established level of performance (replacement) while Phillips is a young guy who has some talent and potential upside.

With Yan you know what you are going to get which is exactly the reason I disliked White from day one. With Phillips you may not get performance any different than what you have seen in the past but at age 24 there is still likely to be some level of improvement.
    True.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Yan?

most unimpressive. Trading crap for crap is very unexciting. I know it isn't a big deal when you give nothing up and don't have anything better, but stop making excuses. Get a real pitcher.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy
    Yan?

most unimpressive. Trading crap for crap is very unexciting. I know it isn't a big deal when you give nothing up and don't have anything better, but stop making excuses. Get a real pitcher.
    easier said than done before June 1st. I can't say I am excited by yan but I don't imagine there are a lot of quality relievers available yet this year.

Cincinnati Reds
    Placed RHP Matt Belisle on the 15-day disabled list; called up RHP Justin Germano from Triple-A Louisville.

Acquired RHP Esteban Yan from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and cash in exchange for RHP Kyle Edens.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I think this is one of those moves that can incrementally improve the bullpen. Not a big splash, but if he's better than the previous 11th/12th guy, then we've gotten a smidge better. And low risk.

Keep on doing small moves like this, Kriv may be able to boost the bullpen performance 10-25% which isn't a bad thing.
    Ltlabner alluded to this a little bit too and I completely agree. If the guy is an upgrade to what you have now and the cost is not prohibitive, then it's a good move.

I've also heard quite a bit about optioning Shackelford back to Louisville (most notably from Marc's blog) and I'm not sure I'm sold on that. He didn't have a good outing last night but for the most part he's been lights out against lefties this year. Shak is the only guy we have in the pen to use as that "situational lefty". Mercker and Hammond are actually tougher on righties than lefties so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    If the guy is an upgrade to what you have now
    his track record suggests he isn't. It would seem to be nothing more than a lateral move. Guys like White and Yan are the definition of replacement level.

his track record suggests he isn't. It would seem to be nothing more than a lateral move. Guys like White and Yan are the definition of replacement level.
    Hard to debate against that but my point is that the move implies that Krivsky thinks that he is an upgrade. Maybe it's not a move that you or I would have made but our GM thought is was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody
    Hard to debate against that but my point is that the move implies that Krivsky thinks that he is an upgrade.
    With acquisition and quick departure of Cody Ross I would suggest that the above statement may not be true. It believe it has reached a point where WK is feeling pressured to do something and willing to roll the dice and hope for the best even if the evidence suggests it won't help.

With acquisition and quick departure of Cody Ross I would suggest that the above statement may not be true. It believe it has reached a point where WK is feeling pressured to do something and willing to roll the dice and hope for the best even if the evidence suggests it won't help.
    Hmmmmmm...could be but I hope WK isn't making moves just to appear like he's doing something. That's a slippery slope right there.

Maybe there's just a bunch of bad karma left over in the GM's office from DanO. They should clean the carpets or something.

Taking away Yan's worst 2 performances to compare him to White is interesting because White has never been left in the game for 3 innings to give up 5 runs. If he's getting hit, he usually gets pulled or only goes 1 inning.

In 21 appearances White has only avoided giving up runs 11 times
    In 21 appearances White has only avoided getting hit 6 times. He has a 1.59 whip to show for it.

In 13 appearances for Yan he has avoided giving up runs 7 times and avoided getting hit 5 times with a 1.43 whip. So maybe you could say he's marginally better than White especially with the youth and velocity on his side.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...1/c1481707.jsp
    Notes: Yan greeted by new club
    05/31/2006 9:00 PM ET
    By Kerry Walls / Special to MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Newly acquired Esteban Yan had just arrived at Wrigley Field hours before Wednesday's game and was walking through the clubhouse preparing to meet with reporters when he stopped to shake hands with new teammate Todd Coffey.
    Such is the life of a well-traveled reliever thrust into new surroundings one day after being acquired by Cincinnati from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

"When I got put out for assignment, I knew something might happen," Yan said.

Manager Jerry Narron plans to work Yan in non-pressure situations to start.

"We'll just give him some time on the mound. We're not going to put him in the eighth or ninth inning with a one-run lead," Narron said.

"I like to pitch. When you're in the bullpen, you have to do any role the manager gives to you," Yan said. "I need to prove myself. I need to try to do my job."

To make room for Yan, the Reds optioned left-hander Brian Shackelford to Triple-A Louisville.

Shackelford was 1-0 with a 7.71 ERA in 14 games.

"Probably as much as anything, what hurt Shack was at-bats against right-handed hitters," Narron said.

Kearns healthy and hitting: After breaking into the Majors in 2002, hitting .315 with 13 homers and 56 RBIs in 107 games, Austin Kearns has spent the last three seasons battling injuries, playing time and inconsistency.

But now, with those nagging ailments in the rear-view mirror and an everyday spot secured in the outfield, Kearns is once again proving he can be one of the game's top young stars -- as his 10 homers, 30 RBIs and .286 average in 51 games indicate.

"This year, I've done a lot more stuff, as far as doing stuff in the cage," Kearns said. "I missed so much time [in recent years], it just takes a while to get it all back to feel like you can be consistent. It seems like the last couple years, it was just coming and going. It'd be there for a few days, then lost for a couple of weeks."

Last season, Kearns had to share playing time with Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena in the outfield.

"I stayed healthy all year last year. I just wasn't playing every day," he said. "So I think that's been the biggest thing, just getting consistent at-bats."

Kearns doesn't dwell on the myriad of injuries that limited him to just 258 games over the past three seasons.

"Some weird stuff has happened -- kind of some freak injuries," he said. "I've put all that stuff aside. I'm just looking forward."

Nuxhall admitted to hospital: Reds legend Joe Nuxhall was admitted into Mercy Fairfield Hospital on Tuesday morning with double pneumonia.

"He's doing OK. He's where he should have been about five days ago," his son, Kim Nuxhall, told the Dayton Daily News. "One of his good traits comes back to haunt him sometimes ... the tenacity of not giving up."

Nuxhall served as Reds broadcaster from 1968-2004.

Coming up: After a day off on Thursday, the Reds travel to Houston for an 8:05 p.m. ET game on Friday. Aaron Harang will oppose young Astros lefty Wandy Rodriguez.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs

I am glad to see that Yan will be used in non pressure situations until he gets settled in with the team. Its great Coffey was one of the first to greet him.

Turn Off Ads?