Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Thread: 5/30/06 - Reds vs. Cubs Game Thread (Cubs win 8-3)

Re: 5/30/06 - Reds vs. Cubs Game Thread (T8 Cubs lead 7-3)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I'm of drinking age! I just don't drink
    Then YOU sir are not ! a Reds fan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    Then YOU sir are not ! a Reds fan
    I challenge the! I've seen Milton pitch in person 3 times! and Dave Williams! I am a Reds fan ya scurv!
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I challenge the! I've seen Milton pitch in person 3 times! and Dave Williams! I am a Reds fan ya scurv!
    I can top your measly Milton/Williams tripe...during his last year with the team--I sat through 4 Jimmy Haynes starts in one season...Woo-hoo, Scoreboard baby! BEAT THAT!

Granted, those four starts only encompassed, like, 10 or 12 total innings....

Re: 5/30/06 - Reds vs. Cubs Game Thread (Cubs win 8-3)

Did the Reds come back and win this one last night yet?

No?

Damn.

Interesting point on Jr., by the way. Considering he is still basically working his way through spring training at this point, given the WBC and his April time off, I would expect we won't really see the "real" Jr., whatever that is at this point in time, until mid-June.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I love it how Dunn get's bashed for k'ing all the time, but Griffey gets on base at an alarmingly bad rate, and it generally goes unoticed.

Quite frankly Griffey on the field i shurting more then helping right. It is time to try and sell him off to a contender and payy half his salary if you have to. Cut your losses.
    Griffey has been back for two and a half weeks - the first week he almost single handedly won them three games and the last week and a half he's been slumping. By all means lets just focus on the last week and a half and forget his .300 average and 35 HR's and .930 OPS last year and his week of carrying the Reds this year and focus solely on the last week and a half.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Paging Ken Griifey Jr's walk rate would you please pick up the red courtesy phone and dial 2006, once again that's 2006.
    I purposely have not brought that up because there is a certain crowd that will pile on if you point out a shortcoming of Jr. Maybe the extremely low OBP makes Marty happy but it doesn't float my boat and it is limiting the RBI opportunities for those behind him. His BB rate and OBP have taken a severe nosedive and at this point it has to be a concern. You cannot have a your #3 hitter with a sub 300 OBP.

The reason the Reds played so well in April was that the guys at the top of the order were constantly on base for the guys batting lower.

Its a small sample size - Griffey still has only 100 at bats this year. I can guarantee that if and when he gets to 500 at bats his numbers will be .285/.365/.550.

Small sample sizes are bad things to look at. Junior will be fine. Just like Dunn will be fine and you'll never see me pile on him for his slumps. Junior is slumping and pressing. He is making bad contact on pitches he usually drills. He will be back and soon.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Really the biggest concern for the entire offense has been the wholesale disappearance of the patience that had been the hallmark of this club the previous two seasons. This is the most swing-happy the Reds have been since Chris Chambliss became the hitting coach.

Instead of squeezing pitchers and working huge pitch counts, forcing them to throw a hitter's pitch and getting to see a conga line of easy-to-maul middle relievers, the Reds have been swinging at too many pitcher's pitches.

Krivsky even mentioned the lack of patience being the chief problem with the offense two nights ago. It's amazing how off-kilter a team can get when it starts taking a bad approach at the plate.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Griffey has not been walking since July of last year, in fact he had more walks in that month than he has had in his last 220 at bats including last year.

Currently the man whose career walk rate has been 1 every 7 has been clocking in at 1 every 14 at bats. This month will be the worst month for walks for Junior since his first season in 1989. (in months with 50 plus at bats)

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Small sample sizes are bad things to look at.
    100+ ABs is no longer a small sample size in terms of the season. At that point things start becoming a trend. Can Jr still hit and draw some walks? Likely, but his numbers suggest the Reds would be better served by moving him down in the order where the lack of OBP hurts less and there are still numerous RBI opportunities.

Turn Off Ads?