Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 2006 free agent starters to ponder!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2006 free agent starters to ponder!

Just curious as to what you guys think about some of the free agent starters that may be had after the 2006 season. The asterisk next to the player is who I'd like to target. Here goes:

LHSP-
    1)Ted Lilly(30)*-he'd make a nice #3 guy
    2)Mark Buerhle(27)-will command too much
    3)Barry Zito(28)-will command too much,and probably wont leave Cali.
    4)Mark Mulder(30)-too much money,but a solid #2

RHSP-
    1)Cory Lidle(34)*-make a nice #5 guy to solidify the rotation, who wont cost too much
    2)Vincente Padilla(29)*-a solid #3/4 guy who I want to go after
    3)Jason Marquis(28)-decent back of the rotation guy
    4)Sidney Ponson(30)*-an enigma, but a nice #4/5 guy
    5)Jason Schmidt(33)*-true ace #1 starter that we lack
    6)Jeff Suppan(31)-back of the rotation guy

That's the best of the bunch IMO, but there may be others who emerge as the season goes on. If I was Krivsky I would look towards 2007 as our year, we then unload Milton's contract after 07, so I would wait to rebuild with the big boys then. If I had to rate the above guys 1-5, then I would target in order: Padilla,Lilly,Lidle,Ponson,Schmidt. My rotation would then be:
    1)Harang 2)Arroyo 3)Milton 4)Padilla 5)Claussen Thoughts? I think we can land Padilla for 3 years 17 million.

Re: 2006 free agent starters to ponder!

I'm not really into any of those guys.

I don't think the Reds need to be dipping their toes into the FA pool for a starter.

They've got some chips, and I think Krivsky's creative enough to garner an Arroyo like return in trade.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Isn't Milton's 3rd year a mutual option? can someone help me understand what that means? I can't see the Reds wanting to agree to the 3rd year of the deal.. and if thats the case, can't they buy him out?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

It's a player option, he's staying
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    It's a player option, he's staying
    Thanks DanO.

(He needs booked.)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

How about that Bailey kid they have in Sarasota?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    How about that Bailey kid they have in Sarasota?
    Maybe in 2008
    Go Gators!

I've got a feeling that someone is traded before August 1 for a pitcher, but that's just my feeling.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I still hold a grudge with Padilla when he beaned Kearns which led to a bench clearing brawl about 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    I still hold a grudge with Padilla when he beaned Kearns which led to a bench clearing brawl about 3 years ago.
    That was Carlos Silva, and he beaned Dunn, not Kearns.

Bailey will be 20 next year. I still think that is too early for him but you never know. I don't see them spending alot on a free agent pitcher. I could see them trading Dunn or some others for pitching.

Lidle left a bad taste in my mouth the last time he was here. If the market for FA pitching is anything like it's been the last couple of years, I don't want anything to do with him. Schmidt'll likely be out of the Reds' price range. And Ponson evokes waves of nausea.

As wheels said, doesn't look like the Reds should be dipping their toes into those waters on 06/07.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

If Vicente (don't call me Rich Garces) Padilla is the answer, don't waste valuable oxygen with the question

Here's how I see the 2006 FA Pitching list - Yuck.

We'll see what WayneK can pull out of his hat.

With any free-agent - they may need someone who's a little more vocal, IMO.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Old Red Guard Reject

Wow, 4 of 5 Cardinal starters are free agents?

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes
    I think we can land Padilla for 3 years 17 million.
    I bet he would sign for that. I wouldn't want him for that kind of money though. He had some good years awhile back. But his last 3 (including this one) are mediocre. ERA about 4.6, K/9 "6ish", OPSA high .700s, lots of walks and despite being a sinkerballer, G/F is about 5 to 4. 5 to 6 million is a lot for those numbers.

Plus, I have always questioned this guy's age. I saw him a few years ago with Philly and thought he looked older than his listed age. I think that 1977 in his birthdate should be 1972.

Turn Off Ads?