Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE Closing the *Lets All Take a Deep Breath...* thread

RE Closing the *Lets All Take a Deep Breath...* thread

An example of frustration with some mods

1) A rule was definitely broken in that thread
    2) Mods were right to intervene
    3) But why close the thread, thus punishing the innocent?
    4) Since Names were used, inappropriately, Why not just delete the names used and give additional punishment to the perps as/if deemed necessary?

seems to me more a knee jerk reaction than an execution
    of board policy. or is it just me??????

Ga_Red

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RE Closing the *Lets All Take a Deep Breath...* thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Red
    An example of frustration with some mods

1) A rule was definitely broken in that thread
    2) Mods were right to intervene
    3) But why close the thread, thus punishing the innocent?
    4) Since Names were used, inappropriately, Why not just delete the names used and give additional punishment to the perps as/if deemed necessary?

seems to me more a knee jerk reaction than an execution
    of board policy. or is it just me??????

Ga_Red
    1) The rule was definetly broken by many different posters and had momentum to continue in that direction. We agree.
    2) We are well within our right to close threads provided we can justify it. R4L justified the closure of the thread (I just so happened to sneak a last post in there by coincidence). The thread will most likely re-open tomorrow.
    3) Show me the innocent from the last few pages and I'll show you a re-opened thread.
    4) I think I've already addressed that.

If you think it was a knee-jerk reaction (personally, I think R4L closing that thread was more than justified since multiple warnings were given), I encourage you to take the issue up with Boss privately.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

In this instance, there was a real violation of board rules. It should have been shut down. It's unfortunate, however, that many users' views were being ignored due to the difficulty of making a point without using first hand examples and names. Some, like myself, felt the need to make one last bold stance against the 'anti-new poster' movement, which had at that point begun to gain much momentum. I apologize to Boss and the mods in that thread for breaking the one rule. Hopefully the voices of the outspoken, like myself and others, can be replaced by a clear, strong statement from Boss and GUK.

Oh boy. I feel bad for the mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I blame the pitching
    Go Gators!

Retired

I closed the thread because it violated the only specific rule that Boss set out for it, no calling out of specific posters. As an aside from that, there are so many borderline posts on the last few pages of that thread I felt it was best for everyone involved to have a cooling off period. Moderation isn’t a mechanical black and white exercise; it requires judgment from the staff. It was a judgment call on my part, and I accept full responsibility for it.

The thread will probably be reopened tomorrow when everyone can come back with a clear head. If there is anything tomorrow like what I saw on the last few pages, it will be closed permanently.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    Some, like myself, felt the need to make one last bold stance against the 'anti-new poster' movement, which had at that point begun to gain much momentum.
    Yeah, everybody just hates the new guys for being new, because, ya know, none of us was ever new anywhere.

GL

Is closing a thread the only action a mod can take?
    If so, then much of the recent criticism the mods have received on that thread, should be directed toward the
    lack of a range of specific actions in the mod guidelines.

to paintme red:

I was one of the last few posters on that thread. Do
    you have a problem with anythisn I said or the manner in which I expressed it? If not, I ask you to re-open the thread, as you said you would.

Ga_Red

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I gotta tell ya, I know Boss set the rule and I understand why. However I think maybe some headway might have been being made. Maybe the fact that nobody ever calls anyone out specifically has alot to do with the frustration. What better place to kinda get some things off your chest than right there in a post discussing the issues we all have.

I might be completely off base here, and if so would welcome the criticism. But I usually feel much better after dressing someone down who I feel deserves it. I'm not saying I agree or disagree that any of the posters in this instance are correct or not, but I certainly feel it's important to clear the air at times.

Having said all that and not having the ability to post on that particular thread as it took me all night to read it, I think both some new & old posters were out of line at times!

Just my 2 cents as I am not sure I could have gone to sleep w/o posting on the subject.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Retired

There are many actions a mod could take; I could have started handing out bans and editing and deleting posts. Then people would have whined about opinions being suppressed, etc. I didn't go that route, hence the judgment call.

It doesn't matter if your post conformed to the rules or not, there are more posts in that thread than just yours and that did violate the rules and spirit of the thread. The thread doesnít revolve around your post. It was closed; it will be reopened when the staff determines the time is right. This isn't up for discussion. Further, the idea that after every thread closure there is going to be yet another thread talking about the closure is going to change.

Is it against the rules to question a mod's decision in public? Or am I getting different boards confused?

Honestly I would just break out the ban stick. Closing a thread really teaches nobody anything.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

IMO, the thread should have been closed. However, because of the nature of the issue and the many voices involved, closing the thread has created a seperate problem: a great many of posters are now forced to hold their tongue and bottle up their ideas; ideas that are possibly reasonable and helpful.

I am just saying that I understand why some feel the need to make threads like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baumer
    IMO, the thread should have been closed. However, because of the nature of the issue and the many voices involved, closing the thread has created a seperate problem: a great many of posters are now forced to hold their tongue and bottle up their ideas; ideas that are possibly reasonable and helpful.

I am just saying that I understand why some feel the need to make threads like this one.
    Paint already said it will probably be opend again tommorrow.

To Redsforlife

You are 1 mod.
    is paintmered less a mod than you, in actuality, or
    just in [i] your [/] mind? He volunteered, HE
    would reopen that thread if an innocent were to be found.

Either accuse me, demean him, or retract your
    aggressive, high-handed commentary directed to me.

And until BH or GIK say its inappropriate, I'll continue to
    express displeasure with any mod's actions in a new post as I see fit, despite your protestations as to board changes
    you will initiate.
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 05-31-2006 at 01:30 AM.

PaintmeRed has gone off to sleep so I think this should be let go until tomorrow.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?