Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roster shake-up today?

Roster shake-up today?

From Marc Lancaster's blog:

CHICAGO -- The postgame atmosphere in the Reds' clubhouse was awfully tense. Those guys know at least one move has to be made tomorrow, and Rick White and Brian Shackelford in particular didn't do themselves any favors tonight.

Bob Castellini was at the game, having flown in this afternoon, and he did not look real pleased when John Fay and I encountered him walking through the stands on our way to the clubhouse. Also, Wayne Krivsky was reportedly on the phone to Jerry Narron shortly after the game ended.

All that said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are multiple moves made Wednesday. I don't think it'll measure up to the San Juan massacre of April '03, which saw the legendary Jimmy Anderson and Josias Manzanillo DFA'd and Brandon Larson optioned out, but it just feels like something bigger than simply optioning out Shackelford, for instance, needs to be done.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

In the meantime, some good news for one of the blog's favorite guys. The Mets have signed Jacob Cruz to a minor league deal and sent him to extended spring training. I'm sure he'll be joining Dave Williams in Norfolk before too long.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roster shake-up today?

Good. I like these guys, they don't wait until we are 15 under to shake things up.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Good. I like these guys, they don't wait until we are 15 under to shake things up.
    And by that same token I think they've given White and Shack a more than fair chance to stick with the club too.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Have to go down to AA to find anything that might be close to helping
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    And by that same token I think they've given White and Shack a more than fair chance to stick with the club too.
    Yes I agree, and I was probably the most vocal about wanting Shack up here in the 1st place.

Sorry guys with 7 ERA's in June don't cut it.
    "The guy I think could be really good in center is Adam Dunn. If someone asked me if Dunn could be a center fielder for the next 10 years, if he started working on it, no one could explain to me why he couldn’t do it." - Brad Kullman

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Have to go down to AA to find anything that might be close to helping
    Get them out of the moutains then and bring them to the Windy City.

And the same time Deno needs to get up here and playing also. Guys that actually put the ball in play is something this team needs.

Can Denorfia pitch?
    Go Gators!

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Brad Salmon in AAA may be of some help. He's only pitched a bit there, but he's done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Brad Salmon in AAA may be of some help. He's only pitched a bit there, but he's done well.
    I think he'll need to prove himself a bit more, but I like the results so far..

Don't we also have a converted catcher throwing relief who's doing well? Not sure the name.. maybe its Salmon.. maybe its that Coutlingus guy... help me out here.

In any case, these guys are just as big of question marks if you bring them up... I'm not sure they're the answer. Then again, I'm not sure Esteban Yan is either.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

The guy you are thinking of is Jon Coutlangus. He's in AA and pitching very well. Also, David Schafer and Carlos Guevera have been solid in that level and may be better than what we have.

I also thing Phil Dumatrait would be an upgrade over Shack in the LOOGY role right now.

Can Denorfia pitch?
    That would have been more than appropriate the last few years....sadly, despite tonight, our pitching hasn't been THE WORST of the teams problems.

The real problems are the pen, the slumping O (that should come around) and terrible D

The D can be improved if a few players were moved to more natural sports, short of that I don't see what can be done with it.

Pitching at least..we can bring in some new arms
    Go Gators!

The real problems are the pen, the slumping O (that should come around) and terrible D

The D can be improved if a few players were moved to more natural sports, short of that I don't see what can be done with it.

Pitching at least..we can bring in some new arms
    I really don't think an entire team goes in a slump for a month

I doubt they all just forgot how to hit, they will come around, have to play them, no other options in the minors other then SuperDeno
    Go Gators!

I doubt they all just forgot how to hit, they will come around, have to play them, no other options in the minors other then SuperDeno
    It is a problem when you have nothing in the minors besides 1 guy. It needs to be fixed by those 2 dreaded words. fire sale.

Turn Off Ads?