Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonds: Steroid allegations, asterisk possibility hurt

Bonds: Steroid allegations, asterisk possibility hurt

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2463667

Barry Bonds only has one thing to say about the steroid allegations that dog him: They hurt.

"I'm only human," Bonds told ESPN's Jim Gray on Tuesday, in his first exclusive interview since passing Babe Ruth for second on the all-time home runs list.

Bonds declined to discuss the allegations, saying not only that he cannot by law talk about his grand jury testimony but also that Major League Baseball has requested he not discuss steroids. He also said that his attorneys have asked him not to talk about the situation.

According to ESPN legal analyst Roger Cossack, any witness who testifies before a grand jury is allowed to discuss his own testimony but cannot talk about the testimony of other witnesses. Major League Baseball has had no comment on Bonds' contention that it asked him not to talk about steroids.

Bonds said it would hurt if, after he is done playing, an asterisk was put next to his records.

"It would hurt. I would be disappointed," he said. He also said he didn't know if that would happen and in his heart he doesn't believe it will happen.

Bonds has said repeatedly he never knowingly took steroids.

However, he told Gray that he doesn't believe Major League Baseball is attacking him personally by investigating steroid use; he thinks baseball is doing what is best for baseball by looking at the whole period.

Bonds talked a lot about how he's trying to change and be a happier person. He's working hard to react better to questions that he considers stabbing. He said he wants to be liked.

Bonds played down claims that his pursuit of Hank Aaron's home run record has been joyless, saying that at times he didn't make it pleasant. But he said that he's trying hard to change and to create joy. He also said he doesn't recall making negative comments about Ruth in the past; if he did say such things, he said that was "old Barry" and apologized.

Bonds also doesn't believe that race has been a factor in how he's perceived. He said he blames himself for the impression the public has of him because as a younger player he was angry and didn't handle his emotions well in public. He also apologized for that.

Bonds said that it meant a lot to him when Albert Pujols recently came out in publicly support of him.

"I love him for it," Bonds said. "I love Albert Pujols."

Bonds also said it was great to see Pujols' performance this season and hopes Pujols breaks his single-season home run record.

Bonds said despite everything that's going on in his career, he's having more fun now playing baseball than he's ever had. And he credits his current teammates for that.

He said he wants to keep playing if his health allows it. He said winning a World Series still is his No. 1 goal, but he's not going to run from trying to break Aaron's record. He said he doesn't know if he can, but he's not going to run from it. He said he would probably break down and cry if that happened.

He said he tells his son that he needs to stop being angry and learn to forgive if he wants to avoid living through what Bonds himself is living through.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds: Steroid allegations, asterisk possibility hurt

I would like to say that they should put an asterisk, a question mark, an F and quotations around the number that he finishes with like "756". But honestly I don't see how they could actually do that he was allowed to do it just like a lot of other guys baseball did nothing about. Now if some solid proof comes from the investigation I would probably reconsider my position.
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

I threw a potato chip at the telly last night while watching this interview.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Give me a moment here to play a sad song on my violin. Out of curiosity, did ESPN play some kind of sad music in the background to make it appear as though Bonds is the victim here?

Quote Originally Posted by dman

Give me a moment here to play a sad song on my violin. Out of curiosity, did ESPN play some kind of sad music in the background to make it appear as though Bonds is the victim here?
    On ESPN radio they played "Everybody Hurts" by REM in the background.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    On ESPN radio they played "Everybody Hurts" by REM in the background.
    Early nominee for the "Just Shut Up" Award too, no doubt.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by billy117
    Now if some solid proof comes from the investigation I would probably reconsider my position.
    I'm not sure what you consider to be "solid proof", but it has essentially already been found. That Bonds used steroids--assuming that the meticulously-documented research performed by the authors of "Game of Shadows" is legit--is no longer really open to debate. We've moved onto the punishment stage.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I hate all this asterisk crap. I think that there's little doubt Bonds used illegal performance enhancing drugs. However, every single record, every single performance comes with it's own unique set of circumstances. Is there a star by the number of wins or strikeouts of nearly every single pitching the early 1900's?

Fields are docotored, balls are scuffed, drugs are used, etc. But the numbers are the numbers, regardless of their circumstances. Let the circumstances be detailed elsewhere. And they SHOULD be detailed eslewhere. Keep that crap out of the record books.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I'm not sure what you consider to be "solid proof", but it has essentially already been found. That Bonds used steroids--assuming that the meticulously-documented research performed by the authors of "Game of Shadows" is legit--is no longer really open to debate. We've moved onto the punishment stage.
    Yeah I've read "Game of Shadows" and I believe every word of it, but I didn't realize how serious MLB was taking I didn't realize we were in the "punishment stage".
    "Are you going to go with Black Beard's Delight?"

Quote Originally Posted by billy117
    Yeah I've read "Game of Shadows" and I believe every word of it, but I didn't realize how serious MLB was taking I didn't realize we were in the "punishment stage".
    "We" being fans...MLB won't do anything.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Is it just me or is ESPN's molly-coddling of Bonds getting a little ridiculous?

I saw the ex-SI-writer-now-ESPN-baseball-analyst (I forget his name) the other night doing a piece defending Bonds and how we should "celebrate the accomplishment" and if I'm any judge of character, the guy looked flat-out embarassed saying the words.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Is it just me or is ESPN's molly-coddling of Bonds getting a little ridiculous?
    It has and I can't figure out why they are going so far out of the way to do it, just to be different?
    Go Gators!

I believe ESPN believes they are coming to the rescue of their product, which is Major League Baseball. They televise plenty of games, and it's difficult to promote Monday Night baseball if you busting the chops of one of it's premier players every night. So they do the opposite. It's sickening, and it's all about the bottom line.

Real baseball fans have the instinct to want to preserve the actual integrity of the game, not pump it artificially and conceal it's blights. It has nothing to do with money. It hurts when Pete Rose breaks the game's unpardonable sin. I have to say, it bothers me that I don't care about Bonds breaking Ruth's record. It's excruciating. But, like going to the dentist when we have a tooth ache, we want it fixed.

GOREDSGO32

Oh it hurts? Maybe you should think about how many people it hurts when you were injected horse steroids into your body to destroy the integrity of the game you egomaniac piece of trash.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Barry, you put this all on yourself.

Turn Off Ads?