Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Narron's a goner?

Do you think Narron's a goner?

It seems as if Jerry's job may be on the line--the team has not been performing well across the board and they don't look like they start games ready to play. Though I like Narron, and I think he makes good moves as a manager, the Reds may need a guy who is such a big personality (like Lou) that he can dominate the clubhouse and the players' attitude. I also think with the new ownership we can expect moves sooner than later...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you think Narron's a goner?

There is this little tidbit from Marc's blog:

CHICAGO -- The postgame atmosphere in the Reds' clubhouse was awfully tense. Those guys know at least one move has to be made tomorrow, and Rick White and Brian Shackelford in particular didn't do themselves any favors tonight.

Bob Castellini was at the game, having flown in this afternoon, and he did not look real pleased when John Fay and I encountered him walking through the stands on our way to the clubhouse. Also, Wayne Krivsky was reportedly on the phone to Jerry Narron shortly after the game ended.

All that said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there are multiple moves made Wednesday. I don't think it'll measure up to the San Juan massacre of April '03, which saw the legendary Jimmy Anderson and Josias Manzanillo DFA'd and Brandon Larson optioned out, but it just feels like something bigger than simply optioning out Shackelford, for instance, needs to be done.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

In the meantime, some good news for one of the blog's favorite guys. The Mets have signed Jacob Cruz to a minor league deal and sent him to extended spring training. I'm sure he'll be joining Dave Williams in Norfolk before too long.
    I'm not the biggest Narron fan in the world, but I don't think you can fire the guy after a 28-24 start. However, unless this team has some sort of amazing finish that puts them up over 85 wins, I don't see much chance of Narron returning.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse
    It seems as if Jerry's job may be on the line--the team has not been performing well across the board and they don't look like they start games ready to play. Though I like Narron, and I think he makes good moves as a manager, the Reds may need a guy who is such a big personality (like Lou) that he can dominate the clubhouse and the players' attitude. I also think with the new ownership we can expect moves sooner than later...
    He's a manager with a winning record on a team everyone thought would be in danger of falling through the cellar and into someplace below even last in the NL Central.

I think people need to really chill out on this. The team is regressing back to where they should be -- a .500 to slightly sub-.500 ballclub. The weaknesses on the ballclub are glaring: miserable defense, inconsistent starting pitching, and an awful bullpen. Narron is working with the hand he's been dealt -- his choices on "who to throw" on any given night are limited to varying shades of hideous (with Todd Coffey mixed in just to give the painting some color) and there's no hotshot prospect he can bring up to push a vet for playing time.

Narron, like a lot of pieces to this Reds puzzle, is a relic of past regime and operating on borrowed time in the Wayne Krivsky era. But, the overhaul of this team is coming in the offseason, not in May in the middle of a giant road trip against a slew of divisional opponents.

There are too many home dates remaining on the schedule that Castellini needs to sell tickets for before he can do some "raise the white flag" stuff like firing the manager or trading off big-name players for young talent.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    He's a manager with a winning record on a team everyone thought would be in danger of falling through the cellar and into someplace below even last in the NL Central.

I think people need to really chill out on this. The team is regressing back to where they should be -- a .500 to slightly sub-.500 ballclub. The weaknesses on the ballclub are glaring: miserable defense, inconsistent starting pitching, and an awful bullpen. Narron is working with the hand he's been dealt -- his choices on "who to throw" on any given night are limited to varying shades of hideous (with Todd Coffey mixed in just to give the painting some color) and there's no hotshot prospect he can bring up to push a vet for playing time.

Narron, like a lot of pieces to this Reds puzzle, is a relic of past regime and operating on borrowed time in the Wayne Krivsky era. But, the overhaul of this team is coming in the offseason, not in May in the middle of a giant road trip against a slew of divisional opponents.

There are too many home dates remaining on the schedule that Castellini needs to sell tickets for before he can do some "raise the white flag" stuff like firing the manager or trading off big-name players for young talent.
    I totally agree with you Caveat--but I think a) hiring Lou Pinella would not be a "white flag" move b) I don't think ownership sees the team as a .500 ballclub, in spite of ESPN and c) I don't think the F.O. is so measured in their behavior so as to wait for the clean slate of the offseason. If a move to improve the team becomes apparent, I think they will do it immediately. That said, I again think Narron has done a yeoman's job...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

What is Narron's record overall since he has taken over this wounded sparrow of a team ?

can't happen soon enough for me.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat
    What is Narron's record overall since he has taken over this wounded sparrow of a team ?
    He managed them to a split last season at 46-46, so with a 28-24 record this year, that makes him 74-70 overall.

I think he will get to finish the season, I doubt he will be back next year unless they make the playoffs (not likely).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I think Narron finishes the year but next year if Pinella wants the job I think they will give it to him.

bring piniella in now, b4 it is too late

bring in a new bullpen before it is too late
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

how about a lineup too, flyer! the offense is what has had us on this losing tear, we have been shutout 6x this year!

I dont think Narron will make it through the season. If things continue like this he will be gone if for no other reason than for Bob C. to make a statement. This whole thing is not Narron's fault, but I think he will be a piece that has to fall because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by butlerbulldogs
    bring piniella in now, b4 it is too late
    Sweet Lou can not be brought in right now. As part of his buyout agreement with the Devil Rays, he must sit out this year.

However, it would not shock me to see him managing the 2007 Reds.

Seems to me that Castellini has some man love for Piniella.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 05-31-2006 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER
    Sweet Lou can not be brought in right now. As part of his buyout agreement with the Devil Rays, he must sit out this year.

However, it would not shock me to see him managing the 2007 Reds.

Seems to me that Castellini has some man love for Piniella.
    I've read some reports that say it was half a season, some a full season, if he comes back he early he has to pay the D-Rays, etc. Short of it is, nobody except for Lou and Tampa really knows.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Turn Off Ads?