Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball's top 10 'records' ... without the home runs

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Baseball's top 10 'records' ... without the home runs

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Nine of the ten are spitballers, here's my favorite part.

Harry Howell’s 5.3 assist per nine innings in 1905 with the Browns was the best rate for all of the pitchers above. The SS record for assist is 621 by Ozzie and that was only 4.0 assists a game, the best 2nd baseman is Frisch with 4.2 assists a game in 1927. Howell averaged 2.4 K's a game, so he accounted for 7.75 of the teams outs in a deadball/low strikeout game.

Pretty impressive imo, anyway here's more about it here.
    Great write up on your site there. The difference in the way the game was played then surely makes for a couple interesting stat lines. I had always figured that when you have guys hitting the ball harder, pitchers aren't going to get too many chances. That assumption was always based on my experiences as a softball pitcher. When you have a game where people are consistently hitting the ball hard, which is the case in softball even more than in baseball, I just don't get too many bona fide chances to get an assist. I had three in one game a couple weeks ago, but that was something of an oddity. A couple of them were smoked and just happened to find my glove.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball's top 10 'records' ... without the home runs

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    Great write up on your site there. The difference in the way the game was played then surely makes for a couple interesting stat lines. I had always figured that when you have guys hitting the ball harder, pitchers aren't going to get too many chances. That assumption was always based on my experiences as a softball pitcher. When you have a game where people are consistently hitting the ball hard, which is the case in softball even more than in baseball, I just don't get too many bona fide chances to get an assist. I had three in one game a couple weeks ago, but that was something of an oddity. A couple of them were smoked and just happened to find my glove.
    One correlation that you can make thats similar softball, the same ball was usually used for the entire game..
    Last edited by NastyBoy; 06-01-2006 at 02:37 AM.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Turn Off Ads?