Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Will Clemens Set A Trend?

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Will Clemens Set A Trend?

Now that the Rocket has signed to play 2/3 of a year for $14 million, do you see other aging superstars signing part-year deals to prolong their careers (e.g. Barry Bonds)?

Please discuss...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Clemens Set A Trend?

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000
    Now that the Rocket has signed to play 2/3 of a year for $14 million, do you see other aging superstars signing part-year deals to prolong their careers (e.g. Barry Bonds)?

Please discuss...
    I hope Clemens goes 0-11 with a 5.87 ERA. Please discuss...

Quote Originally Posted by shredda2000

Please discuss...
    It is interesting. I could see Bonds doing something similar next year. In a way, for the player it is better to sign on for the last few months of the season and then retiring at the end of the season, rather than playing from the start, realizing you no longer have it, and then retiring before finishing the season. I could see other players doing this in the future, not just Clemens and Bonds.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I also hope Clemens gets rocked upon his return.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I don't like the idea; it's quite mercenary.

Yet I could see it happening again - a real diffference maker is likely to get good offers from teams making a playoff push. Total seller's market. And they only have to work half the season to boot.
    Last edited by zombie-a-go-go; 05-31-2006 at 03:11 PM.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I would love to see rules against something like this, but I can't blame Clemens he's abiding by the rules.

Ted Lyons would like it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Well...it's pretty much like what the "seller" teams have been doing yearly at the deadline.
    Except in this case i'ts the player peddling himself.

I don't see it really happening much. Denial is too strong. Few players will realize that they can't do it for a full season anymore. Heck, most players have to be pushed into retirement (see Larkin, Barry).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I think it'd be much harder for a hitter to re-enter in mid-season than it would be for a pitcher.

It is usually believed that pitchers are "ahead" of hitters at the beginning of camp in February. Imagine what it would be like for a hitter to re-enter the league and face pitchers who have long since rounded into mid-season form.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    I would love to see rules against something like this, but I can't blame Clemens he's abiding by the rules.
    Really, what kind of rule can outlaw this? It isn't uncommon for a player not to get a ST invite, go to an independant team or a Mexican League team, and get signed mid-year.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    Really, what kind of rule can outlaw this? It isn't uncommon for a player not to get a ST invite, go to an independant team or a Mexican League team, and get signed mid-year.
    Plus, he could have signed with any team other than Houston anytime after his previous deal ran out. Free agency is a wonderful thing (for the players).
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'd like it if multiyear deals were done away with and everyone worked on 1 year deals
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?