Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OUT LOUD: Marty Brennaman

Re: OUT LOUD: Marty Brennaman

I'm always suprised when people have such despise for Marty B. I can understand people not liking his style or approach, but I can't figure out why some people would get all worked up over him.

I don't mind the trivia and comments about golf. I guess I'm able to follow the game without getting confused by non-baseball related information and loosing track of the game. It's a pretty slow moving game at times so it's not like there is a constant stream of action on the field on which to comment. Frankly, I like a little spice because 2 1/2 to 3 hours of nothing but "and here's the pitch" would get dull if he never deveated from anything but exactly what is going on between the white lines.

As far has his references to other people outside the booth, he almost always (as least as far as I can recall) says who the person is. He may say something like, "Rob Butcher, the Reds Media Department cheif extrodinare....." What more info do you need to figure out who that is?

Here's a guy broadcasting to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people at a time. Do you really think he's going to cater to the small minority of people who know about stats other than BA and RBI? Let's face it, most fans are lucky to know the starting player's names, much less what OPS means. And consider it from Marty's perspective. He's been around the game for 30+ years. While he's never played it, (Tracey Jones...ehhhmmm) he knows a couple things about. Everything, no. Some things, yes. I can understand why he'd get bugged if (and this is an assumption) he's getting hounded people who can only rattle off a list of numbers as if those are the only keys to the game.

If you don't like the guy that's fine, is your right and I have no problem with that. But in my opinion, he's one of the best. Not the best, but one of.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    I'm always suprised when people have such despise for Marty B. I can understand people not liking his style or approach, but I can't figure out why some people would get all worked up over him.

I don't mind the trivia and comments about golf. I guess I'm able to follow the game without getting confused by non-baseball related information and loosing track of the game. It's a pretty slow moving game at times so it's not like there is a constant stream of action on the field on which to comment. Frankly, I like a little spice because 2 1/2 to 3 hours of nothing but "and here's the pitch" would get dull if he never deveated from anything but exactly what is going on between the white lines.

As far has his references to other people outside the booth, he almost always (as least as far as I can recall) says who the person is. He may say something like, "Rob Butcher, the Reds Media Department cheif extrodinare....." What more info do you need to figure out who that is?

Here's a guy broadcasting to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people at a time. Do you really think he's going to cater to the small minority of people who know about stats other than BA and RBI? Let's face it, most fans are lucky to know the starting player's names, much less what OPS means. And consider it from Marty's perspective. He's been around the game for 30+ years. While he's never played it, (Tracey Jones...ehhhmmm) he knows a couple things about. Everything, no. Some things, yes. I can understand why he'd get bugged if (and this is an assumption) he's getting hounded people who can only rattle off a list of numbers as if those are the only keys to the game.

If you don't like the guy that's fine, is your right and I have no problem with that. But in my opinion, he's one of the best. Not the best, but one of.
    I think you are making the assumption that a lot of fans of Marty make in that anyone who is not 100% Pro Marty hates him. That may be the case for a few people but the majority, myself included, just do not like certain aspects of how he calls a game now. And it is not about embracing OPS or RC/27 so that is a strawman right there. If an announcer chooses to ignore certain statistics, that is fine, the majority do not. Vin Scully was brought up as the top dog of announcers and when I hear him, I do not hear him quoting the Baseball Prospectus bible. If you think Marty walks on water and can do no wrong, that is fine. But not everyone who does not believe that hates the man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I know I am going to be in the minority (maybe the only baseball fan alive) here when I make this statement. Back when Scully was calling games for NBC, I could hardly stand to listen to him. I don't know if it is because of my deep hatred for anything about the Dodgers, (outside of Sandy Koufax) but Scully really would get on my nerves after a couple of innings. I have never been a big fan of his, and I know everyone else loves the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    That's a direct quote from Marty... several times, in fact. And his tone is sooooo disappointed and deadpan.
    Perhaps, but like I said I've heard him generate plenty of enthusiasm for big hits/innings/strikeouts/defensive plays/whatever.

I'm certain you could pull isolated examples from just about any broadcaster working today where a call on a homerun has been less than exuberant. And before you respond with "it's particularly bad with Dunn," I have also heard Marty get excited (gasp!) about HRs Dunn has hit.

Again, I just think the "enthusiasm" complaint is tenuous and completely subjective. There's better complaints against Marty than that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I know I am going to be in the minority (maybe the only baseball fan alive) here when I make this statement. Back when Scully was calling games for NBC, I could hardly stand to listen to him. I don't know if it is because of my deep hatred for anything about the Dodgers, (outside of Sandy Koufax) but Scully really would get on my nerves after a couple of innings. I have never been a big fan of his, and I know everyone else loves the guy.
    Then I'm the second baseball fan alive... IMHO, it's because he's the voice of the past enemy, the Dodgers. Even when I hear Marty praise him, which he does on occasion, I want to scream into the radio - "How can you like that old man?"

Curt Gowdy was another - but especially after the '75 series when I found out that he used to announce the Red Sox games. So even now when I hear his voice I cringe.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    That's exactly what I was takling about in my post above. Over on the Dodgers site I was on, there were some fans saying things similar to what you are saying. So even though the consensus is that Scully is the best, some people still don't like him, or just certain small things that he does. Just like Marty over here.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Perhaps, but like I said I've heard him generate plenty of enthusiasm for big hits/innings/strikeouts/defensive plays/whatever.

I'm certain you could pull isolated examples from just about any broadcaster working today where a call on a homerun has been less than exuberant. And before you respond with "it's particularly bad with Dunn," I have also heard Marty get excited (gasp!) about HRs Dunn has hit.

Again, I just think the "enthusiasm" complaint is tenuous and completely subjective. There's better complaints against Marty than that.
    Actually, I wasn't responding to a lack of enthusiasm from Marty... I don't expect him to be exhuberant when things are going bad. Most people, including Marty, are only exhuberant when things are going well.

My dislike is his disparaging remarks about players... even when they're winning! I didn't isolate it to Dunn... I included Coffey. Again, off the top of my head... there are many others.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by billy117
    That's exactly what I was takling about in my post above. Over on the Dodgers site I was on, there were some fans saying things similar to what you are saying. So even though the consensus is that Scully is the best, some people still don't like him, or just certain small things that he does. Just like Marty over here.
    True, I heard Vin refer to the hub bub about him talking about the Bonds chase, he replied.. "It's baseball and I'm reporting it."

That said Vin does TV more than radio these days IRRC, I can tun him down and look at the picture.

But during a quintacential ladies moment, when the tomatoes are full and ripe and the sun glances off the tee in the dew of the morning I'll tell you what, no way no how.... not in a million years... should I be left grasping at why the count is 3-1 and not 1-1.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

But during a quintacential ladies moment, when the tomatoes are full and ripe and the sun glances off the tee in the dew of the morning I'll tell you what, no way no how.... not in a million years... should I be left grasping at why the count is 3-1 and not 1-1.

Yep, and in a titanic struggle, that just ain't gettin' it done, pardner.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

"If you think Marty walks on water and can do no wrong, that is fine. But not everyone who does not believe that hates the man."

Chip,

You are correct that I shouldn't assume you hate him because you have some complaints about him. Neither, should you assume I think he "walks on water" because I don't agree with your (or other folks) compliants. Seems to me that is as big of an assumption on your part as I was making on mine.

BTW, I'm logged into Redszone on my pocketpc at lunchtime. I specifically went to a resturant at lunch that I knew had wireless internet so I could check in. How sick am I ????? hahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Actually, I wasn't responding to a lack of enthusiasm from Marty... I don't expect him to be exhuberant when things are going bad. Most people, including Marty, are only exhuberant when things are going well.
    my fault then...i thought you were responding to the post about Marty's lack of enthusiasm in calling games. Never mind, then...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    How many of us knew his real name was Franchester?
    I didn't....I should call him that tonight...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Marty choosing to rail on Dunn for putting the ball in play (but caught) right after Aurilia struck out with a man on 3rd with 1 out and Marty saying nothing about it was another obvious sign of bias.

But I agree with some above..if he calls the game he's fine.

He doesn't hate Dunn, I just think he's frustrated because of all the potential he can't seem to tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    He doesn't hate Dunn, I just think he's frustrated because of all the potential he can't seem to tap.
    Well after 5 years I think it's time to move on
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Well after 5 years I think it's time to move on
    It only seems to me that Marty has only been "harping" on Dunn for the past 2 seasons. But I'm pretty neutral on Dunner - so I haven't been paying too much attention to Marty's comments on him. It just seemed really bad last year.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?