Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sooo..Coffey's The Closer Now

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Sooo..Coffey's The Closer Now

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...g-of-guard.asp

No question Todd's the better pitcher and, in my opinion, the Reds' MVP to date.

However, Weathers has been serviceable, with a 3.24 ERA.

There are plenty of teams in the league that have setup men with better ERA's then their closers. I don't think your closer necessarily has to be your best relief pitcher. He has to be able to get the job done, however. I just don't think Weathers will do as good a job as a setup man as Coffey, and we don't yet know how Coffey will react to being "the guy."

Hopefully the move works and Weathers doesn't react negatively to this change.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sooo..Coffey's The Closer Now

Why would Weathers react negatively to this? He himself said early on that he is not a closer, and he has been merely adequte in that role. He filled the position as well as he could, but it's definitely time to try someone in that slot who occasionally misses a bat...

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If there's one thing our bullpen doesn't have (other than a fastball over 94 mph) it's ego. None of these guys thinks they're hot stuff and all have expressed a willingness to pitch wherever they're asked to pitch.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'd be thrilled if we used Coffey as a stopper rather than a closer. One of the goofiest things about modern baseball is the way teams let an arbitrary stat definition (the "save situation") define how their best bullpen guy is used. I want my best guy out there in the situations where the game is on the line, and that might be in the seventh, eighth or ninth. And it might mean he has to get more than three outs. So be it.
    Not all who wander are lost

Problem is island, Coffey does the heavy lifting in, say, the seventh or eighth, and then Weather comes in and blows it in the 9th still isn't a desireable outcome...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

No, but in the long run it should work out, and he'd still see plenty of ninth innings. The occasional blown ninth-inning lead is better than even more leads blown in the seventh and eighth because we're using our lesser pitchers in the highest-leverage situations. You take "game on the line" where you find it.
    Not all who wander are lost

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I'd be thrilled if we used Coffey as a stopper rather than a closer. One of the goofiest things about modern baseball is the way teams let an arbitrary stat definition (the "save situation") define how their best bullpen guy is used. I want my best guy out there in the situations where the game is on the line, and that might be in the seventh, eighth or ninth. And it might mean he has to get more than three outs. So be it.
    Coffey woud be the setup guy ideally and Wagner the closer.

Unfortunately the "Wagner the closer" part isn't looking too promising, so Coffey is the guy, because he can do it better than anybody else in that bullpen.

I agree. Originally, the term "fireman" had to do with a relief pitcher who came into a game and snuffed out a rally like a fireman puts out a fire. The closer role has evolved into a very limited role. The closer comes in for little more than one inning, and a vast majority of those appearances come with no runners on base. Also, there is a limited chance to match up the opponent's best batters against the team's best reliever. I want Todd Coffey pitching to Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds if they come to bat in the seventh and not waiting in the pen for the ninth when he might face the bottom of the order.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Actually, I think that's exactly what you'll see. Even as the official closer, Coffey is perfectly capable of pitching more than one inning. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him called on in the last couple innings if the game is close.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?