Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name your top 10 for the draft (who you want)

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Name your top 10 for the draft (who you want)

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Why is Lincecum a reliever? Becuase he's 6 foot? I think the short right handed pitcher can't be a starter is a myth. This guy reminds me of Oswalt. His stuff is unbelievable and he's got great deception. He's never had an injury that I am aware of, and he's apparently never complained of soerness or any pain after starts.
    No, I don't have that kind of bias against height. But I did watch his rather violent pitching motion. Plus, he's been worked extraordinarily hard in college. Those two things are what scare me away from spending a top-ten draft pick on the guy. I don't care if he's never complained- would you if you were trying to do everything you could to catch pro eyeballs pitching in the Rain Belt?

He's still a better choice than a high-school position player in my book, though.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 06-01-2006 at 04:56 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    No, I don't have that kind of bias. But I did watch his rather violent pitching motion. Plus, he's been worked extraordinarily hard in college. Those two things are what scare me away from spending a top-ten draft pick on the guy.

He's still a better choice than a high-school position player in my book, though.
    Yeah, he's unorthodox, no question. But thats why I like him. haha.. shades of Dontrelle Willis - in regards to being unorthodox.

You are right though, he has had a heavy workload. In any case, if we drafted him, I would hope he would just sit for the rest of the season, and get his first taste of pitching in '07.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Yeah, he's unorthodox, no question. But thats why I like him. haha.. shades of Dontrelle Willis - in regards to being unorthodox.

You are right though, he has had a heavy workload. In any case, if we drafted him, I would hope he would just sit for the rest of the season, and get his first taste of pitching in '07.
    Willis worries me too, for the record. There aren't too many players you can draft knowing they're genetic freaks. And none that I can see this year.

I'm excluding the players that will not be available when the Reds pick at #8 overall.

Brad Lincoln
    Tim Lincecum
    Daniel Bard
    Brandon Morrow
    Bill Rowell
    Greg Reynolds

Il will be happy with any of these guys. I will be throwing things and breaking windows if the Reds draft Kershaw.

I wonder if the Reds are even interested in Kershaw? I can't see them being overly interested in Bard or Renyolds either, I guess they hope Lincoln falls to them which he probably will if Tampa and Pittsburgh take somebody else.

1) Morrow
    2) Kershaw
    3) Bard
    4) Jeffress
    5) Stubbs

1) Lincecum
    2) Lincoln
    3) Morrow
    4) Drabek
    5) Scherzer

The curve is Drabek but here's the catch...if he blows out his arm, he still has a future as a position player. BA says he is comparable to Rowell as a hitter and could be the best position player in the draft. Wouldn't that be the best way to laugh at the Curse of Ty Howington?

The rumours out of Seattle are that contrary to the national press they are still looking at Linecum. It probably means the REDS are looking at other arms. But judging from Krivs responses the REDS will take the best possible player at #8 even though he may not be a pitcher.

You do NOT want drabek. you have to look past his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    You do NOT want drabek. you have to look past his abilities.
    We don't even know what these off the field issues are. Milledge had the same rumors and he is in the majors and a top prospect in the league. As long as he isn't doing hard core drugs, I'm in.

I still want a college pitcher but he could be a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    We don't even know what these off the field issues are. Milledge had the same rumors and he is in the majors and a top prospect in the league. As long as he isn't doing hard core drugs, I'm in.

I still want a college pitcher but he could be a steal.
    when reporters say they know a kid has issues but cant and wont say what they are, thats a BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG flag in my book.

Calling out princeton and M2, the so-called "scouts" of the board. Who is your top 10? Who do you want the Reds to draft?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    when reporters say they know a kid has issues but cant and wont say what they are, thats a BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG flag in my book.
    BA will be shedding some light on the topic coming soon...so my top 5 might change. We shall see.

John Manuel is having a 2 pm chat on BA today regarding the NCAA tourney and next week's draft...I asked 2 questions already:

1) Who will be the Reds selection if he had to say it now.
    2) More info on the Drabek situation.

We should all flood him with questions on players we think the Reds might select...

On Stubbs

Among college hitters, after first basemen there is almost no difference between the other infield positions, including catcher. Collegiate outfielders trail all other positions by a significant margin, probably because of an overemphasis on “tools” guys with great athleticism but underdeveloped bats.

Turn Off Ads?