Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buyers or Sellers?

Re: Buyers or Sellers?

I think with these owners either way we will try to make moves that improve the team. I think they'd love to trade a catcher. If they can get a good RP for LaRue I think he'd do it. I don't think they'll be big sellers even if we were even further out of it, but at this point we are right in the hunt for the Wild Card and we face Houston and St. Louis coming up. I say if we are out of it we won't be big sellers, but we won't add. If we are in it I could see one major move that would add payroll. I personally would like to see Milton moved if he continues to do well even if we are in it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would love to see us make a trade with the Rockies, they would be an ideal trading partner. So I would propose:

Reds trade)
    1)Jason Larue-c
    2)Travis Chick-AA pitcher
    3)Elizardo Ramirez SP
    and a portion of Larues salary @ 1.5mill

Rockies trade)
    1)Jeff Francis-sp
    2)Brian Fuentes-rp

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I would love to make a run, but I think we all know deep down inside that we probably won't ().

I would be in favor of a complete firesale...much like Florida has done. Let's just build this thing from the ground up and get all the top prospects we can.
    That's a great idea...if you're a GM. Or a serious Reds fan. It won't fly, though, not in Cincinnati. The team has gone long enough without a legitimate playoffs contender, any "firesale" would be met with rolling eyes, "here we go again", and significant drops in ticket sales for a long, long time to go. If I'm the Reds, I don't do a firesale. Make the most of what you have at hand, draft well, and continue to try and find scraps of metal that will turn in chinks of gold.

At this point we are buyers, another few weeks of bad ball and we will be sellers.

Personally I want us to do a fire sire, and re-build the minors. That is how small market teams win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I don't expect us to do a true fire sale even if we're sellers. Right now, every significant player is signed or under the Reds' control through at least 2007, 2008 in many cases. We have a window over the next 2-3 seasons where we can try to compete by adding onto the current core, and by then, Krivsky's guys will have a few drafts under their belts and the farm system may not suck by then. The major-league makeover isn't done by any means yet, either.

It'll be tough, but the emergency hasn't arisen to go Marlins. Our window of opportunity has not closed. Anyway, Florida is one way the total rebuild can go; Kansas City is the other. If you trust Krivsky to do the fire sale right, then maybe he can get it done without the fire sale.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 06-01-2006 at 06:36 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

First year with new ownership no way do they let a real Fire Sale go down. Common fans would be pissed and it would really hurt new GM and new ownerships standing with these fans.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes
    I would love to see us make a trade with the Rockies, they would be an ideal trading partner. So I would propose:

Reds trade)
    1)Jason Larue-c
    2)Travis Chick-AA pitcher
    3)Elizardo Ramirez SP
    and a portion of Larues salary @ 1.5mill

Rockies trade)
    1)Jeff Francis-sp
    2)Brian Fuentes-rp
    I like your thinking with the Rockies as a trading partner, but I don't think they'd go for that deal. In fact, no offense, but they may not even trade one of the two guys mentioned for that package.

Trading for prospects is very risky buisness sometimes it works out very well and sometimes it doesn't. I would rather stay with what we have and try to improve on the core of this team. Established players like Lopez, Dunn, and Kearns are less risk than AA ball players.

Given some of the suggestions wouldn't REDSZONE be better off if we traded the whole team for another one??

I'd say at this stage the REDS won't be big players at the trade deadline as they dno't really have the chips to play with in make a big run. Its not like they have top class prospects to bring in a big gun. I'd say Krivsky may look at making a few small moves if the REDS are still around the hunt for the division or wildcard. Most likely trading a prospect for a reliever and maybe a slugging outfielder (which may be more likely in September than at the deadline).

Old Red Guard Reject

Here's an interesting name: Kerry Wood. The Cubs have a 13.5 million $ option on him for 2007 or a 3 million $ buyout. I think he'll definitely be available, but would the Reds pay for him?

The only players I would not want to trade would be

Lopez -- young, well-rounded SS is tough to find/replace
    Harang & Arroyo -- these are legitimate mid-rotation starters for a playoff-caliber team.

I think anyone else should be fair game.

Dunn -- without getting too deep into his merits as a player, he's probably the one and only player that could bring the top-line pitching prospects we need to become truly competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Here's an interesting name: Kerry Wood. The Cubs have a 13.5 million $ option on him for 2007 or a 3 million $ buyout. I think he'll definitely be available, but would the Reds pay for him?
    Doubt they would and I don't want him, he can't stay healthy.
    Go Gators!

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Doubt they would and I don't want him, he can't stay healthy.
    How much of that is due to the Dr. Whipping himself, Mr. Dusty Baker? That man really runs his starting pitchers into the ground.

I say sellers most likely, but some of the guys mentioned, who all of us would like to get rid of are not going anywher. LaRue?? the only way we will get rid of larue is if maybe we packaged him with dunn or EE and got a lot less than what those two are worth..or something like that. basically if we're just giving other players away for teams to take guys like larue.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I think i'm going to go with buyers. I just have a feeling the Wild Card will be a race and one that can be retaken by the Reds. Especially now with the recent injury to the Dodgers Kent. Sure he may be only one guy and sure its the 15 day DL... but I think its the hand he hurt "washing his truck"... supposedly.

Turn Off Ads?