Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buyers or Sellers?

Re: Buyers or Sellers?

Here's an article from the cincinnati post.com that might shed some light on the discussion....

Krivsky's always prepared to deal

Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

"Every day is July 31," Reds GM Wayne Krivsky says in reference to the trading deadline.

With June's steamy arrival, we've now reached the point at which the Reds, traditionally, excuse themselves from the pennant race.

In recent years, they've done this not by faltering on the field - though there's been plenty of that - but, through their screaming inactivity, by declaring themselves non-contenders for the balance of the summer.

Tonight's game in Houston will complete the first third of the 2006 schedule, a sampling surely significant enough to reveal something or other. It finds Cincinnati in second place but, like geese in the fall and the brightest room in the house, facing south.

Under the previous administration, that was sufficient cause to pack it in for the season, all the while protected by the pretense of waiting for the July 31 trading deadline. Naturally, hope had always ceased to float by the time it arrived.

In auspicious contrast, Wayne Krivsky, the new general manager, enabled by Bob Castellini, the new owner, comes equipped with a different sort of philosophy. "Every day," he stated Thursday, "is July 31."

Krivsky says this in spite of the fact that the Reds have been playing hard-to-watch hardball for the past three weeks. Given the choice of treating it as a bad team or a bad month, he has sanguinely opted for the latter.

Of course, he comes at it from a pitching perspective. Pitching has been his charge and necessary obsession in his first four months on the job, and Cincinnati's, in response, has improved decidedly. The offense is another matter.

Suppose, if you will, that the Reds' pitching staff had permitted a mere three runs for every game in May. In doing so, consider that no team in the National League holds its opponents to fewer than four runs a game. By so categorically outpitching their rivals, the Reds would have managed a record of only 12-11 during that stretch, with five games still going.

They remain fifth in the league and 11th overall in runs scored - after leading the universe a while back - but that's a treacherous statistic. The fact is, the Reds have lately specialized in not scoring runs. The ones that have come across have generally done so in furious but infrequent flurries.

Divide the 28 games of May into three segments of nine, 10 and nine, organized by the number of runs scored. In the top nine encounters, Cincinnati averaged a boffo 8.56 runs. In the middle 10, the number plummeted to 3.30. In the nine feeblest outings of the month, production evaporated to an infinitesimal 0.44.

The sum of it all begs the question of whether, given this abdication of offense, Krivsky will realign his priorities. The answer comes out as a tender tweak.

"It's still the same," he said on the first day of the new month, bearing in mind that the Reds have permitted more unearned runs than any other team in the game. "Pitching and defense.

"We've got professional hitters. We're not going to continue to hit like this much longer. Every team goes through this. Did I wish it didn't last this long? Yeah. Usually, it's not the whole team for this long. You'd be hard-pressed to pick out somebody the last couple of weeks who has been swinging the bat well.

"I still think we've got a good offensive team, but I think we've gotten away from what made us good. At the beginning of the season, we were taking walks and using the whole field to hit. Lately, we haven't taken our walks. Then once the team starts struggling to score, everybody wants to be a hero."

In turn, there's reason to believe that the Reds aren't walking as much because the other teams, noting their tendency to take pitches, have made certain not to walk them as much. Hitting tends to be an exercise in adjustments.

And so does contending. On that score, the operative news is that the recent slump has not infected the general manager.

"It doesn't complicate things at all," said Krivsky, to whom the playoffs remain a reason to carry a cell phone. "If something makes sense, you can't be afraid to do it."

Today, after all, is the first day of the rest of your chance to go get somebody.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Go for the Guston and snatch Kazmir away from Tampa Bay, and Zito away from Oakland. Then move Edwin Encarnacion to Florida with others for Cabrera.....

JaredRoberts.com

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Go for the Guston and snatch Kazmir away from Tampa Bay, and Zito away from Oakland. Then move Edwin Encarnacion to Florida with others for Cabrera.....

JaredRoberts.com
    Ok.. Good Luck!

Zito
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Kazmir
    Milton

I'll go to battle with that rotation.

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Zito
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Kazmir
    Milton

I'll go to battle with that rotation.

Not to mention you'd most likly lose Harang from your rotation, probably Lopez and any minor league talent we have. Zito will end up either in an A's jersey or Mets jersey. AL West is just up and down and I think Oakland can win it with Harden coming back. Unless the Mets blow them away with a deal like Bannister, Milledge, Soler, and Humber for Zito.. I just don't see him going anywhere. Kazmir will take even more than that to get him from TB. They finally found an Ace to build the team around and will likly hang on to there steal from the Mets for Victor Zambrano.

Wow! We just finished the month of May (only two months into the season), and people are yelling "Sell!"

This team is not as good as it played in April.... and not as bad as it played in May.

Our starting pitching, which it all hinges on, has been pretty darn good. And our offense will snap out of it.

We need to improve our bullpen, which really take doing one's homework, and is not an expensive venture IMO.

Our defense is poor; but that are the "lumps" one has to take when you're committed to starting a young INF as we have. But it might come down to switching guys like Phillips and Lopez, convincing Dunn to move to 1B and Jr to LF with Deno in CF.

Those are moves that don't require selling or the investment of a lot of capital.... just tweeking.

But sell off and rebuild from the ground up? Ridiculous.

Krivsky and Castellini have so far earned my trust. They have not done anything, as of yet, to get me to think otherwise. This is a different FO mentality.

I say we hang tough and continue to look for those trades that might open up by mid-season to help this team.

Let us be the vultures circling for a change.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo

JaredRoberts.com
    Then win the lotto and land on Mars
    Go Gators!

GOREDSGO32

If Milton continues to do well, if we can get something for him, do it. I don't want the Reds to be buyers and overpay for trade deadline overpricing. If we are gonig to get there, its going to be with what we have. Milton has to go under any circumstances though I believe, his contract is a major drag on team salary. Same with Griffey, but he's well established here, and isn't likely to be taken on unless as a DH honestly. I don't really want to see Griffey go anyway, its just he makes too much for his performance.

only one main guy i want moved, and thats dunn. i wont get into it, because it will just start an argument between the pro dunn guys and the anti dunn guys. needless to say i dont think hes worth what he is getting paid and his money could be put to much better use by kriv. not to mention he is not a kriv type of guy, IMO. also, hes the only guy who will bring back something that we can use now or in the near future

Turn Off Ads?