Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Problems cancelling my PeoplePc internet service

Problems cancelling my PeoplePc internet service

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I recently moved. When I moved, I signed up for the TW Cable all in one service (cable, road runner, digital phone). When I hooked up my computer here, I couldn't even get People PC to work. Now that I have Road Runner, I clearly don't need a non-functioning dial-up ISP. I have tried calling their cancellation line for three days now. It is open from 9 AM until 9 PM, but no matter when I call I get the same message, we are experiencing high call volume, please try again later. That's it, no option to stay on hold and wait, nothing. It's a pain, because I don't want to keep getting billed. Just today, I've been reading horror stories from people online who tried to cancel, and then afterward were still having their credit cards charged for service. What can I do? There is a cancel request e-mail address, but I tried that, and got a return message back from my old friend mailer-daemon.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Problems cancelling my PeoplePc internet service

Are you having it billed to your credit card? If so you might try calling them and see if they can help you.

Also I found this on Better Business Bureau website:
    http://www.goldengatebbb.org/commonr...html?bid=14529

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Are you having it billed to your credit card? If so you might try calling them and see if they can help you.
    Yes I am. Do you think there is anything they could do? How do I approach them with this?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    As I mentioned in a previous thread, I recently moved. When I moved, I signed up for the TW Cable all in one service (cable, road runner, digital phone). When I hooked up my computer here, I couldn't even get People PC to work. Now that I have Road Runner, I clearly don't need a non-functioning dial-up ISP. I have tried calling their cancellation line for three days now. It is open from 9 AM until 9 PM, but no matter when I call I get the same message, we are experiencing high call volume, please try again later. That's it, no option to stay on hold and wait, nothing. It's a pain, because I don't want to keep getting billed. Just today, I've been reading horror stories from people online who tried to cancel, and then afterward were still having their credit cards charged for service. What can I do? There is a cancel request e-mail address, but I tried that, and got a return message back from my old friend mailer-daemon.
    These people sound like real rascals to me. Do a google search on cancel and People PC, it ain't pretty.

I found these tidbits online and have paraphrased them for brevity:
    To Cancel People PC call 1-866-772-6277 - the only way to ensure that you have it cancelled is to get a cancellation confirmation number. They will try to wait you out and offer to keep your service on as a "free" backup. Then they will begin billing you and tell you that it was only a "trail" backup.
    My plan would be this -

1) I'd call up the credit card service and tell them you have having issues getting this service canceled and want to refuse any charges they might attempt to post to this account.

EDIT: I'd first ask the CC company if they have any fees involved on their end to do so.

2) Then
    call People PC and try to cancel. Let them know you have already contacted your credit card company to refuse any more charges from them. At this point they know you are dead money and it might be a bit easier to cancel.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 06-01-2006 at 01:52 PM.

I used PPC for a week while I went on vacation [back before laptops were all wireless and everywhere was a hotspot] and I had less than no trouble when I cancelled the service. Sure they tried the 'save' procedures and all, but they were pleasant and I never had an issue with recurring charges.

Good luck to you Sava, hope its not a nightmare.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Yes I am. Do you think there is anything they could do? How do I approach them with this?
    Ive heard of credit card companies doing charge backs when people dont recieve what they ordered over the internet. This might be a different case, but I would think they could help you out some how.

As for how to approach them, I would call the customer service or billing department and let them know what kind of trouble you are having with PeoplePC. Let them know that you keep on calling to try and cancel but you can never get through to them. They might be able to get your money back or block PeoplePC from charging your credit card.

RipOffReport.com has some posts about PeoplePC ripping them off.
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=111941
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=193762

I had the same problem with AOL a few years back, except that I actually talked to someone in Customer Service, and they still continued to bill me.

I had to cancel my credit card (at the suggestion of the credit card company); and I filed a complaint w/the BBB, which ultimately resolved the problem.

They ended up losing a big Class Action lawsuit because of their tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I had the same problem with AOL a few years back, except that I actually talked to someone in Customer Service, and they still continued to bill me.

I had to cancel my credit card (at the suggestion of the credit card company); and I filed a complaint w/the BBB, which ultimately resolved the problem.

They ended up losing a big Class Action lawsuit because of their tactics.
    Yeah, I've already been through it with AOL and MSN. The way internet service providers have treated me in the past, and now with the specter of it happening again, it's almost enough to give this whole thing up.

If it were me, I'd cancel it online.

Then when you get the bill next month, call the credit card company and dispute it. You may have to repeat this several months. That's what happened to me with AOL. I waited on hold forever, the rep assured me it would be canceled, and they kept billing. After about the 3rd month of filing a dispute with the credit card co, I asked Mastercard to cancel the recurring charge. The lady at mastercard said she wouldn't. I told her AOL was uncooperative, so I guess I'd have to call Mastercard up every month and dispute if she couldn't remove the recurring charge. After that, it magically vanished

From now on, when I deal with scumbag conmen like that, I will only tell them once to cancel and dispute with the Credit card. It's not worth your time to keep calling and being on hold. They are scam artists trying to wear you out.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

We'll see, I got a confirmation number for canceling, so maybe everything will work out.

Turn Off Ads?