Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: Because the Wild Card is stupid

  1. #1
    fan EddieMilner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Buchanan, MI
    Posts
    391

    Because the Wild Card is stupid

    If you could change around the divisions in baseball for more regional play, what would your baseball divisions look like?
    Last edited by EddieMilner; 06-01-2006 at 04:06 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Your argument is fallacious, because the wild card is the best thing to happen to baseball since the animatronic scoreboard.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,641

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    The wildcard, in my opinion is a fantastic thing for baseball. It gives cities that normally wouldn't make the playoffs a fighting chance.

    At the deadline last year, weren't there only something like 3 or 4 teams (Reds included) who could honestly say they had no shot whatsoever of making the playoffs? That's because of the wildcard.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  5. #4
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    East
    Mets
    Phillies
    Nations
    Braves
    Marlins
    Pirates
    Reds
    Cubs

    WEST
    Padres
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Rockies
    D-Backs
    Astros
    Cardinals
    Brewers

    I don't like our chances in that division either.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,641

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    East
    Mets
    Phillies
    Nations
    Braves
    Marlins
    Pirates
    Reds
    Cubs

    WEST
    Padres
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Rockies
    D-Backs
    Astros
    Cardinals
    Brewers

    I don't like our chances in that division either.
    So with a two division set-up, do you just take the top two teams from each division and put them in the playoffs?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

  7. #6
    Moderator Tommyjohn25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    East
    Mets
    Phillies
    Nations
    Braves
    Marlins
    Pirates
    Reds
    Cubs

    WEST
    Padres
    Dodgers
    Giants
    Rockies
    D-Backs
    Astros
    Cardinals
    Brewers

    I don't like our chances in that division either.
    First off, I love the wild card. Second, I would like the Reds chances alot more in the above listed division than the current NL Central.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

  8. #7
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    First off, I love the wild card. Second, I would like the Reds chances alot more in the above listed division than the current NL Central.
    Oh, I agree. I just posted those two divisions as kind of a sacrcastic reply to the original post. That NL West would be a mother, wouldn't it?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #8
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner
    If you could change around the divisions in baseball for more regional play, what would your baseball divisions look like?
    Ahhh... a change in the original post. I like the breakdown of divisions the way it is now. Nothings perfect, but it's pretty good.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  10. #9
    fan EddieMilner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Buchanan, MI
    Posts
    391

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    I would retract the Blue Jays and Devil Rays and make four divisions of 7 regional teams.

    East Division
    Mets
    Yankees
    Red Sox
    Nationals
    Baltimore
    Philadelphia
    Atlanta

    Central
    Milwaukee
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Chicago Whitesox
    Chicago Cubs
    Pittsburgh
    Cincinnati

    South Division
    Atlanta
    Houston
    St. Louis
    Texas
    Kansas City
    Marlins
    Rockies

    West Division
    Seattle
    San Fran
    Oakland
    Angels
    Dodgers
    Phoenix
    San Diego

    The champion of the east would play the champion of the Central
    The Champion the west would play the champion of the south

  11. #10
    We are the angry mob cincyinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The 303
    Posts
    2,540

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    I miss the old divisions.. the east and west.. when the dodgers were a big rival.. maybe thats just me though..

    Love the wildcard tho.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

    -Hunter S. Thompson

  12. #11
    Moderator Tommyjohn25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fairborn, OH
    Posts
    1,849

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    That NL West would be a mother, wouldn't it?

    Oh my God yes. That division would be reeeediculous.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

  13. #12
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner
    I would retract the Blue Jays and Devil Rays and make four divisions of 7 regional teams.

    East Division
    Mets
    Yankees
    Red Sox
    Nationals
    Baltimore
    Philadelphia
    Atlanta

    Central
    Milwaukee
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Chicago Whitesox
    Chicago Cubs
    Pittsburgh
    Cincinnati

    South Division
    Atlanta
    Houston
    St. Louis
    Texas
    Kansas City
    Marlins
    Rockies

    West Division
    Seattle
    San Fran
    Oakland
    Angels
    Dodgers
    Phoenix
    San Diego

    The champion of the east would play the champion of the Central
    The Champion the west would play the champion of the south
    I don't hate much. But I hate that idea. Thankfully it will no happen.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  14. #13
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,282

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    I don't care for the wildcard, but I also hate the thought of 8 team divisions

    I also loath the stressing of "regional" contests, the whole reason the National League was founded was to alleviate that very boring aspect of league play.

    I'm for a balanced schedule.

    Divisions

    East - Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Nationals

    Rust - Pittsburgh, Brewers, Cincinnati, Chicago

    South - Rockies, Astros, Cardinals, Braves

    West - Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Padres, Giants

    Once the Marlins move Atlanta goes into the East and the West and South can fight over the carcass.

    162 Balanced Schedule - Division Winners only

  15. #14
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,284

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    I concur about the Wild Card - I've felt this way since 1980 when the O's finished with a record of 100-62 and missed the playoffs behind the 103-59 Yankees, while the Royals went 97-65 to take the West (which wasn't shabby either).

  16. #15
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Because the Wild Card is stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    IOnce the Marlins move Atlanta goes into the East and the West and South can fight over the carcass.
    San Antonio fits nicely into that equation.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25