Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In season trades...(Wayno please take note)

In season trades...(Wayno please take note)

What in season trade got you really fired up about our Cincinnati Reds? I remember when the Reds acquired Tom Terrific on June 15th 1977 and how excited I was about this trade. If there had been a Redszone back then, I am sure that the server would have crashed big time. What other trades gave you pennant fever?
    Baseball is life

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In season trades...(Wayno please take note)

The last trade which got me hyped up was the Juan Guzman acquisition in '99. He was great for us and had we beaten the Mutts in the 1 game playoff, he would've been hailed as the reason we made the playoffs. Of course, I had no idea who BJ Ryan was......
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Two in-season trades that really stand out in my memories as ones I got excited about were Kal Daniels and Lenny Harris to the Dodgers for Mariano Duncan and Tim Leary in 1989 and Ron Robinson and Bob Sebra to the Brewers for Glenn Braggs and Billy Bates in 1990.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Bill Doran's acquisition was a great trade that turned out to be unnecessary.

David Wells' acquisition was a great trade that should have worked

I was excited about the Ryan Dempster trade in 2002. But like the Reds, I didn't know Dempster was pitching with torn ligaments in his elbow. I figured it was something mechanical that Gullett could fix.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRed
    What in season trade got you really fired up about our Cincinnati Reds? I remember when the Reds acquired Tom Terrific on June 15th 1977 and how excited I was about this trade. If there had been a Redszone back then, I am sure that the server would have crashed big time. What other trades gave you pennant fever?
    You are correct,Redszone would have crashed in 1977. Getting Tom Seaver was a huge deal! Seaver was a great pitcher and getting him a trade in which the Reds didn't have to trade away a star player was really a coup. I remember thinking when the trade went down that the Reds would come from behind and easily overtake the Dodgers. But it didn't happen. I really don't think the Reds have made an in season trade of this magnitude since or maybe every will again. Today this would equal to getting someone like Pedro Martinez for a couple of minor leaguers.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

getting Clay Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I was excited about the Ryan Dempster trade in 2002. But like the Reds, I didn't know Dempster was pitching with torn ligaments in his elbow. I figured it was something mechanical that Gullett could fix.
    Same here.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Please don't refer to Krivsky as ''Wayno''.Reminds me of ''Dano''too much.
    Last edited by Jr's Boy; 06-01-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    The last trade which got me hyped up was the Juan Guzman acquisition in '99. He was great for us and had we beaten the Mutts in the 1 game playoff, he would've been hailed as the reason we made the playoffs. Of course, I had no idea who BJ Ryan was......
    I agree, they needed something to make a run, found it, and were pretty darn close to having it pay off.

I live 250 miles from GABP right now, and if the Reds make a big move, I would immediately buy a pro-rated season ticket package to show the owners I will supoort a team that tries to find players to make them better. I wouldn't even get to go to but 10 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    Please don't Krivsky as ''Wayno''.Reminds me of ''Dano''too much.
    Amen brother. He has done nothing to deserve such a slight.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Same here.
    Dempster, Estes, and Mohler.

And to think that I thought those were good things.

I still like Dempster, though. Even if he is a Cub. Everyone's dated an ugly dame at one time or another.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Freddie Norman in 1973. Reds were about 7 or 8 games back of LA when they got him. It seemed like he must have beaten the Reds every time he pitched against them and when they got him he really took off. I think he was 1-7 with SD and he ended up winning 11 or 12 games for the Reds who ended up winning the West by 4 or 5 games.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Getting Tom Seaver was a huge deal! Today this would equal to getting someone like Pedro Martinez for a couple of minor leaguers.
    The Reds gave up more than a couple minor leaguers for Seaver. Pat Zachry was coming off a Rookie Of The Year season and Doug Flynn was on his way to becoming a gold-glove second baseman.

Dan Norman and Steve Henderson, however, were in fact a couple of minor leaguers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    The Reds gave up more than a couple minor leaguers for Seaver. Pat Zachry was coming off a Rookie Of The Year season and Doug Flynn was on his way to becoming a gold-glove second baseman.

Dan Norman and Steve Henderson, however, were in fact a couple of minor leaguers.

However, Zachary was suffering through a "sophmore slump" and Doug Flynn was merely a utility player with the Reds.

I remember the Boston television sportscaster I was watching that night introduced the story by saying, "Today, the Cincinnati Reds acquired Tom Seaver from the New York Mets in exchange for a Big Mac, medium fry, and a coke."

I was so giddy, I repeated the story to anyone who'd listen. I wasn't as excited the next morning when I found out the Reds had traded away Gary Nolan.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?