Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torii Hunter seeks to make a difference

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Torii Hunter seeks to make a difference

Not that I dont agree with Hunters initiative but even if he did bring in more black baseball players to the game, im not so sure the fans he is counting in the stands will increase by any large number because the inner city youth he is targeting wont likely be able to afford even a nose bleed seat thanks to his and other's salaries.

No offense to him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smith288
    Not that I dont agree with Hunters initiative but even if he did bring in more black baseball players to the game, im not so sure the fans he is counting in the stands will increase by any large number because the inner city youth he is targeting wont likely be able to afford even a nose bleed seat thanks to his and other's salaries.

No offense to him.
    The owners will charge what will bring them the greatest revenues. How much the ballplayer makes has no bearing on that.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg
    I think Whites are more interested in viewing sports while African Americans play them.
    But the MLB is mostly white so African Americans aren't doing much of either.

To a point, I agree with you.... but then again, how many of these same basketball/football kids get to go to NFL and NBA games?

I think baseball players are more attuned to this than players of any other sport, as many sponsor individual group excursions to the ballparks around both leagues by bringing in underprivileged youths to ballgames on any given weekend during homestands... I know Jr has always done it; in addition to Cincinnati, he continues to do this in Seattle.

I don't know who else on the Reds does this, but I'm hoping other players do it as well. Sean Casey and Danny Graves both did it in the past. For some reason, this is pretty much kept under wraps... very rarely is it mentioned in the media. I only know because I see them at games and their sponsor is usually emblazened on the back of a t-shirt.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

No offense to him.
    If you can afford a ticket to a Snoop Dogg or 50 Cent concert, you can afford to go to a baseball game.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    If you can afford a ticket to a Snoop Dogg or 50 Cent concert, you can afford to go to a baseball game.
    No stereotyping there... many 13 years olds at a snoop show Or are there more white suburban kids?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    No stereotyping there... many 13 years olds at a snoop show Or are there more white suburban kids?
    I don't think many 13 year olds go to baseball games by themselves.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I don't think many 13 year olds go to baseball games by themselves.
    Maybe.. we did. Took the Metro down to Fountain Square and hoofed with the masses to Riverfront.

Maybe.. we did. Took the Metro down to Fountain Square and hoofed with the masses to Riverfront.
    Not sure when that was, but if you had 15 cent comics, we're probably talking late 50's early 60's. Things are much different today. I know if I was a parent, I wouldn't let my 13 year old go to a baseball game by himself/herself.

come on sava, you can do better than that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

but if you had 15 cent comics, we're probably talking late 50's early 60's.
    Nope, I'm not that old. And did I mention Riverfront?

You spend money on what you want to spend money on--simple as that.

Perhaps the money just isn't there, but to assume that simply because they're inner city and/or minority that they can't afford a $5 cheap seat is a bit of a stretch.

The NBA has had no problems attracting the interest of inner city children. And marketing has a whole lot to do with that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

And did I mention Riverfront?
    ah yes, I see that now. Did your family love you?

j/k

Did your family love you?

j/k

no. no we didn't
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    come on sava, you can do better than that.
    Okay, I recently went to the Barnum and Bailey Circus. The cheapest tickets were more expensive than the cheapest tickets to a Reds game. I'd say about 1/4 of the crowd were African-American families. I go to the movies a lot down by the Dayton Mall. The majority of the movie goers there are African-American who come down on the bus and get off at the bus stop right outside of the theater.. The price of a movie ticket is $9.50.

They just aren't going to baseball games.

Turn Off Ads?