Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching infielders might cut Reds' errors

Hybrid View

Switching infielders might cut Reds' errors

Hal McCoy: Switching infielders might cut Reds' errors
    By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

HOUSTON | The errors come from the left side of the infield, mostly errant throws, like misdirected hand grenades lobbed blindly from foxholes.

The Cincinnati Reds own a ghastly 49 errors this season, most in the majors. They've given up 33 unearned runs, most in the majors.

Of the 49 errors, nearly half (24) have come from third baseman Edwin Encarnacion (13) and shortstop Felipe Lopez (11), so the left side of the infield isn't a leaky faucet, it's an open tap.

What's a manager to do? How about this? They can move second baseman Brandon Phillips (three errors) to shortstop and switch Lopez to second base.

Lopez has played third base and second base. And Phillips signed with Montreal as a shortstop. Before the Cleveland Indians traded for Phillips, five scouts watched him play in the minors, and their consensus report said: "Could become an All-Star shortstop in the majors. A terrific athlete with above average arm and hands. Excellent range."

So what's holding it up?

"At this level, you don't want to be in the position of developing players, but that's what we're doing," said Reds manager Jerry Narron. "Think about it. All of our infielders are young and inexperienced. This is a very difficult game, and yes, they have to get better."

As for making the switch?

"We're very, very pleased with the way Brandon Phillips is playing second base," said Narron. "Of all of them, he is the one guy who has a chance to win a Gold Glove."

So why not shortstop?

"That's not to say he couldn't do it and be a Gold Glover," Narron added. "Michael Young (Texas) was one of the best defensive second basemen in the game and he moved to shortstop and has done a good job.

"For something like that to happen, you probably have to do it before spring training, not in the middle of the season," he said. "That's not to say we won't do it, but it would be a spring training thing."

Thinking about it, Narron said, "Two years ago (when Barry Larkin still roamed shortstop), Felipe played third base and did real well and played good at second, convincing me he could play anywhere on the infield."

There are days when the left side plays flawlessly and spectacularly, then there are days when they kick the baseball as if it is a soccer ball and throw it as if it is a beanbag. But that's youth. That's inexperience.

"I know how hard (infield instructor) Bucky Dent works with Edwin and Felipe," Narron said. "I'd say with Edwin (23), Felipe (25) and Brandon (24), we average the youngest in baseball at those three positions."

Referring to the errors and the unearned runs, Narron said emphatically, "If we were better defensively, we might be ahead of or at least tied with St. Louis because we lead the world in unearned runs and errors. And what those errors do is make our pitchers throw more pitches, face more hitters."

St. Louis has made only 30 errors and given up 16 unearned runs, and of course, the Cardinals lead the National League in pitching (3.80 ERA), aided greatly by sharp defense.

A Phillips-Lopez switch isn't likely this year, unless the Reds fall way behind in the standings. Remember, Narron had Phillips at shortstop for the Hall of Fame exhibition game that lasted only two innings.

Contact this reporter by e-mail at

hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...0602mccoy.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Re: Switching infielders might cut Reds' errors

then again it might not.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    then again it might not.
    but then again it might.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    but then again it might.
    or it could just move bad defense to the right side of the field.

I was afraid this was going to be a "Move EE" article.

Switching Phillips and Lopez certainly wouldn't hurt.
    Go Gators!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I'm glad that at least it hasn't fallen on deaf ears. They did not emphatically object, so I think it may end up getting done at some point. If Felipe can deal with the switch we will flourish. Of course like what was said, unless we fall way down in the standings it's not likely until next year.

Guess that might make that Felipe Bobblehead that they are giving away this year a little more valuable........or not!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    I'm glad that at least it hasn't fallen on deaf ears. They did not emphatically object, so I think it may end up getting done at some point. If Felipe can deal with the switch we will flourish. Of course like what was said, unless we fall way down in the standings it's not likely until next year.

Guess that might make that Felipe Bobblehead that they are giving away this year a little more valuable........or not!

Do you think Scott Boras may be in Felipe's ear to advise him to stay at SS? I can't imagine that Lopez's value as a 2B would skyrocket, although I would venture a guess that his offensive production wouldn't suffer and he would probably put up much better defensive metrics as a 2B.

Phillips, on the other hand, would probably see an increase in value if he were a SS, due to defensive range alone.

Referring to the errors and the unearned runs, Narron said emphatically, "If we were better defensively, we might be ahead of or at least tied with St. Louis because we lead the world in unearned runs and errors. And what those errors do is make our pitchers throw more pitches, face more hitters."
    Oh, and Jerry, it allows the other team to score more runs too.

Anyway, I think he's right.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Do you think Scott Boras may be in Felipe's ear to advise him to stay at SS?
    I don't doubt it, an allstar SS = big $$$$ and he'll get it on the FA market.
    Go Gators!

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I don't doubt it, an allstar SS = big $$$$ and he'll get it on the FA market.
    Which is why I think Dubya-K should be on the lookout for what he can get for a Felipe Lopez.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

i'd love to flip the two middle infielders around. FeLo doesn't have the range to due shortstop all the time, but would be a serious GG candidate at second. Phillips looks like he'd probably be good at short. not earth shattering, but definetly better than Lopez.

i'm not really worried about Encarnacion and Lopez's throwing errors, they'll fade with age and when the Reds actually put a real 1B at the corner.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

How about Lopez at 3rd, Phillips at SS and EE at second just another thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    How about Lopez at 3rd, Phillips at SS and EE at second just another thought.
    If EE is struggling make the throw from 3B I have a hard time believing that he'd have an easier time throwing from second where so many of the throws are back across your body (going behind 2B) or turning the double play. I just don't see that as a good solution. I think it'll be easier for him to work out his throwing problems where he's at.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Thread Killer

The old first baseman in me cringes watching Hatteberg and Aurilia over there. There are a legitimate 4 or 5 errors each that a slick 1Bman would have turned to outs. Just sayin'

I can't believe I just read a post saying to trade Felipe Lopez....or at least look to trade him. Are you kidding? What goes through your mind before you type this bull. Pay the man and keep him around long-term. Intangibles. Glove. Arm. (Maybe not so much range) But he can hit and is consistent something the Reds need to be successful is people on, and Felipe does that, he gets on. Stop the lunacy and wake up. Sign the man long-term not trade him.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Turn Off Ads?