Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching infielders might cut Reds' errors

Re: Switching infielders might cut Reds' errors

Redmachine, EE has a strong enough arm to play third, of course his errors would drop from second but everyone's would because it is a simple position. I made a lot more errors at SS than I did 2B but I was more valuable to the team at SS because of range etc. I think EE is playing where he should be to use the potential of that arm....at least for the time being, I'm not saying if after next year he still cant figure it out then it wouldnt be time to look at a change, but i dont think it would be wise until hes has two years (at least) of big league experience.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds
    I can't believe I just read a post saying to trade Felipe Lopez....or at least look to trade him. Are you kidding? What goes through your mind before you type this bull. Pay the man and keep him around long-term. Intangibles. Glove. Arm. (Maybe not so much range) But he can hit and is consistent something the Reds need to be successful is people on, and Felipe does that, he gets on. Stop the lunacy and wake up. Sign the man long-term not trade him.
    He's got Boras as an agent = he's looking for huge money

Want to pay him 15 mill a season and not be able to afford pitching?

We aren't in new york here.
    Go Gators!

Krono lopez is more valuable than dunn in my opinion...ss's (good ones) are hard to come by....i will pay him 10 mil a yr yes
    For Love of the Game

Krono lopez is more valuable than dunn in my opinion...ss's (good ones) are hard to come by....i will pay him 10 mil a yr yes

Too bad Lopez really isn't a good (defensive) SS and his bat, while pretty good, just isn't good enough to justify that large contract without being a plus defender. Right now his OPS is only 749 mostly because of an anemic .363 SLG %. I expect that will get better, but even if he duplicates last years OPS of .838 his defense is going to keep him from getting that type of money IMO.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

jack wilson.....hes a 5 million dollar player...decent to good fielder (8 errors this season)

lopez brings speed, power, hes three years younger....so ill say this i sign lopez long-term @ 8 million a year or less, anything higher than that and we really have to incentive base the contract i think (if thats allowed in baseball)

EDIT* Wilson's contract calls for 3 years at 20 million, just less than 7.

I sign Lopez for 9.5 or less and call it a steal, how about this, 7 years 50 mil
    For Love of the Game

jack wilson.....hes a 5 million dollar player...decent to good fielder (8 errors this season)

lopez brings speed, power, hes three years younger....so ill say this i sign lopez long-term @ 8 million a year or less, anything higher than that and we really have to incentive base the contract i think (if thats allowed in baseball)

EDIT* Wilson's contract calls for 3 years at 20 million, just less than 7.

I sign Lopez for 9.5 or less and call it a steal, how about this, 7 years 50 mil

Lopez isn't bringing any power so far this year. I hope that doesn't last, but I'd certainly wait for him to do it two years in a row before showering him with $$.

Never give anyone a 7 year contract. Way too risky.

Jack Wilson is horribly overpayed.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Never give anyone a 7 year contract. Way too risky.
    Especially a middle infielder who has fielding issues.

I doubt very much Lopez will sign for anything before he hits the FA market, no matter what we offer.

That's why players sign on with the Boras gang.
    Go Gators!

Personally, I'd like to see the Reds address this defense issue very soon. The Reds haven't contended since 1999, and there is no telling when they will contend again. I'd hate to see them sit there like the Dan O'Brien days and wait for a positive outcome to miraculously develop from a glaring negative.

Sorry, Krono, but I'd start by getting Encarnacion off of third base. I watched Dan Driessen cost the Reds the NLCS in 1973 and butcher the position in 1974. He turned into a gold glove first baseman but he wasn't mentally equipped to handle third. Was he nervous or what? I don't know, but the Reds were much better when they moved him.

I'd move Encarnacion to first today, or I'd package him with Claussen and/or Bailey for a package that would bring a top end starter and a middle reliever.

I'd move Lopez to third and Phillips to shortstop. I'd use Freel and Aurilia at second while Hatteberg would pinch hit and back-up Encarnacion.

I know these ideas have been bantered about all year, but the Reds are contending. If the shortstop-thirdbase duo continue to drive up pitch counts and allow unearned runs, they won't be able to hang with the Cards.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Personally, I'd like to see the Reds address this defense issue very soon. The Reds haven't contended since 1999, and there is no telling when they will contend again. I'd hate to see them sit there like the Dan O'Brien days and wait for a positive outcome to miraculously develop from a glaring negative.

Sorry, Krono, but I'd start by getting Encarnacion off of third base. I watched Dan Driessen cost the Reds the NLCS in 1973 and butcher the position in 1974. He turned into a gold glove first baseman but he wasn't mentally equipped to handle third. Was he nervous or what? I don't know, but the Reds were much better when they moved him.

I'd move Encarnacion to first today, or I'd package him with Claussen and/or Bailey for a package that would bring a top end starter and a middle reliever.

I'd move Lopez to third and Phillips to shortstop. I'd use Freel and Aurilia at second while Hatteberg would pinch hit and back-up Encarnacion.

I know these ideas have been bantered about all year, but the Reds are contending. If the shortstop-thirdbase duo continue to drive up pitch counts and allow unearned runs, they won't be able to hang with the Cards.
    Has Encarnacion played much firstbase? Ive only seen him play 1 inning at first.

I dont see how moving Lopez to third would cut down the errors. If hes going to be moved it would probably be to second and someone like Freel or Aurilia would play third.

Either way I dont see them making position changes during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    Has Encarnacion played much firstbase? Ive only seen him play 1 inning at first.
    I'm betting Encarnacion,a lifelong corner infielder, can cross the diamond and play first base at least as well, and probably better, than Hatteberg (former catcher) and Aurilia (former middle infielder).

I dont see how moving Lopez to third would cut down the errors. If hes going to be moved it would probably be to second and someone like Freel or Aurilia would play third.
    Lopez has played 82 games at third and has made 13 errors. Encarnacion has made that many in a little over fifty games. Also, third base is the only position Lopez has shown any propensity for a range above league average. Of the two, Lopez is a better fielder than Encarnacion.

Either way I dont see them making position changes during the season.
    Maybe not, but this front office, unlike the last, seems to address problems and isn't afraid to make moves. Switching players' positions is radical, but excessive errors and unearned runs should not be tolerated.

If memory serves me correctly, Pete Rose moved from the outfield to third base in May after the 1975 season was in progress. That move helped launch an incredible two season run as World Champions.
    Last edited by Spitball; 06-05-2006 at 06:09 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Move EE already? WAY to early IMO, the kid hasn't even had a full season, what did Larkin do his first full year at SS? errors out the ying yang.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Move EE already? WAY to early IMO, the kid hasn't even had a full season, what did Larkin do his first full year at SS? errors out the ying yang.
    Well, Larkin made, I believe, about 29 errors at shortstop that first season as a starter. That is alot, but Encarnacion is on track to totally eclipse that total and as a third baseman. I believe he could eventually be a Gold Glove candidate at first just like Dan Driessen. At third at this time, he is not helping the team defensively. Would I sacrifice EE's career as a third baseman for the chance to compete this year? You bet, especially since I've been forced to wait a long time for a contending team and he'd make a dandy first baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    Would I sacrifice EE's career as a third baseman for the chance to compete this year? You bet, especially since I've been forced to wait a long time for a contending team and he'd make a dandy first baseman.
    How do we know he'd be a good 1st baseman?

Also I wouldn't move him in the idea that it helps the team contend, I don't think we have a better option over there that makes us that much better? Freel? Aurilia? no and no.

And this team hasn't has had a lot of trouble over at 3rd, be nice if a good young kid could have the job for a long time.
    Go Gators!

EE's range goes a long way towards making up for the throwing errors that the Reds might cut by putting RA at third.

Even thinking about moving EE at this point is terribly short sighted IMO.

edit: I see you're not suggesting putting RA at 3B spitball.

Turn Off Ads?