Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A few guys to watch for from the VSL team

A few guys to watch for from the VSL team

I was looking at some minor league scores, and I noticed that the Reds Venezuelan team has started its season. I decided to go check out some of the roster, age's of the players, and stats to see if the Reds have anyone worth bringing over to the United States next year. A few names jumped out at me.

One is an infielder by the name of Jose Gualdron. He is a skinny kid, only listed at 5'11" and 165 pounds, but don't let the small frame fool you. Only 18 years old, the kid has four home runs and 10 extra-base hits in just 67 atbats, and his overall stat line is: .373/.408/.672. His age and pop in his bat make him worth watching over the next few years.

Another guy that jumped out at me was Ramon Rodriguez. Ramon is only 18 years old and already has a nice pitchers frame, at 6'2" and 182 pounds. In 10.2 innings, he has struckout 11 batters, posted a 1.18 WHIP and 2.53 ERA.

One other guy that caught my eye was a little lefty named Carlos Fajardo. He is a little older than the aforementioned guys(21 years old) but's he a lefty(always a plus) and has struckout 22 batters in 13.2 innings and held opponents to a 1.32 ERA and 0.76 WHIP.

Jose Gualdron

Ramon Rodriguez

Carlos Fajardo
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-02-2006 at 02:03 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: A few guys to watch for from the VSL team

OBM, good eye. I will have to remember to keep an eye on the team. For whatever reason I thought they started later than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I was looking at some minor league scores, and I noticed that the Reds Venezuelan team has started its season. I decided to go check out some of the roster, age's of the players, and stats to see if the Reds have anyone worth bringing over to the United States next year. A few names jumped out at me.

One is an infielder by the name of Jose Gualdron. He is a skinny kid, only listed at 5'11" and 165 pounds, but don't let the small frame fool you. Only 18 years old, the kid has four home runs and 10 extra-base hits in just 67 atbats, and his overall stat line is: .373/.408/.672. His age and pop in his bat make him worth watching over the next few years.

Another guy that jumped out at me was Ramon Rodriguez. Ramon is only 18 years old and already has a nice pitchers frame, at 6'2" and 182 pounds. In 10.2 innings, he has struckout 11 batters, posted a 1.18 WHIP and 2.53 ERA.

One other guy that caught my eye was a little lefty named Carlos Fajardo. He is a little older than the aforementioned guys(21 years old) but's he a lefty(always a plus) and has struckout 22 batters in 13.2 innings and held opponents to a 1.32 ERA and 0.76 WHIP.

Jose Gualdron

Ramon Rodriguez

Carlos Fajardo
    the thing you wonder is, who has the talent but just not showing it. who has the stuff as a pitcher and just not getting results, for whatever reason. stats can be very misleading, and when you know absolutely nothing about these guys, you never know if they are a smoke screen or not

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Hey OBM, is there any record of a kid named Misael DeJesus pitching for the VSL or DSL teams? He's showed up on the Sarasota roster in the past week or two and has no apparent entry at the Baseball Cube.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Hey OBM, is there any record of a kid named Misael DeJesus pitching for the VSL or DSL teams? He's showed up on the Sarasota roster in the past week or two and has no apparent entry at the Baseball Cube.
    No sign of him on the VSL roster, and I can't find any of the DSL rosters. For some reason minorleaguebaseball.com doesn't have any of the DSL teams listed.

I know there is a Michael DeJesus in the organization...however, I've never heard of the DeJesus guy you mentioned.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    No sign of him on the VSL roster, and I can't find any of the DSL rosters. For some reason minorleaguebaseball.com doesn't have any of the DSL teams listed.

I know there is a Michael DeJesus in the organization...however, I've never heard of the DeJesus guy you mentioned.
    Yeah, Michael is the younger brother of David and plays infield at Dayton. This Misael guy is a 21-year-old right-handed pitcher who's been working out of the Sarasota bullpen. I figure he had to have come through the VSL/DSL system if he wasn't some sort of a free-agent signee.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...pbp&pid=463068

Update:

Gualdron: .390/.444/.659

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...pbp&pid=485569

Rodriguez: 14.1 IP, 10 H, 0 HR, 4 BB, 17 K, 0.99 WHIP, 2.51 ERA

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...pbp&pid=500738

Fajardo: 19.2 IP, 7 H, 1 HR, 3 BB, 30 K, 0.52 WHIP, 0.92 ERA

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...pbp&pid=472562

Sosa: .328/.483/.403 19 bb/8 k in 67 atbats

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...pbp&pid=500739

Turn Off Ads?