Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    While reading this entire thread, I have seen some ask what is a quality post. What kind of post will earn you positive rep points. I'd like to point out a few.
    Another one is:

Quote Originally Posted by puffy
    anything Puffy says......
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/messa...?TOPIC_ID=6701

Here's a link to one of the "quality posts" that are currently going on at cincinnati.com. It's a perfect example of why this board is fantastic and we should all use the tools already available to us to keep it great.

Some of the treads over there have gotten very vulgar. If you'd rather not expose yourself to that tripe, just take my word for it that it's a cesspool. I tried to pick out a clean thread to link to here, but read it at your own risk.

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/messa...?TOPIC_ID=6701

Here's a link to one of the "quality posts" that are currently going on at cincinnati.com. It's a perfect example of why this board is fantastic and we should all use the tools already available to us to keep it great.

Some of the treads over there have gotten very vulgar. If you'd rather not expose yourself to that tripe, just take my word for it that it's a cesspool. I tried to pick out a clean thread to link to here, but read it at your own risk.
    I'm with you, LT. I don't particularly care for a lot of vulgarity in posts, or threads for that matter. Still, I'm not sure what is worse. EVERYONE cussing and screwing with one another, disagreements being met with a pat on the back, or....... long, winded, condescending "lectures" about why we should either conform or leave.

Oh now I see long winded is the answer.

savafan]While reading this entire thread, I have seen some ask what is a quality post. What kind of post will earn you positive rep points. I'd like to point out a few.

The last one is a personal favorite. [/quote]
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

But are rep pts issued on here because one is respectful? Or because one makes statements/posts that agrees with (gets in step) with how someone else believes the game should be played and evaluated?

That's my problem with the rep system. Over time, I've really come to know some posters on Reds Live (via chat) who seem to be pretty level-headed and common sense fans. We don't always agree, but via our discussions, I see where they would be valuable additions to the forum.

But they voice their frustration, after being on Reds Live for quite some period of time, in not getting rep pts. And if rep pts is the only way one gets access to ORG, then what do they have to do to get them?

If we are gonna utilize a rep system, and if so many on ORG believe in it, then they are, IMO, responsible to use it. If it is because of apathy or indifference that one is not, then we, as a forum, are basically screwing some over, and keeping them "trapped", because they are relying on us to evaluate/promote them.

They have no other means available.

In the past, I have not been very good at issuing rep pts. So I am guilty. I've never negged anyone, and never will. That's just me.

But I have begun to issue rep pts - and not based on that poster making statements that agree with GAC, or how GAC thinks the game should be played; but more in-line with getting to know that individual(s), and seeing that they can/will contribute to the forum, regardless of their viewpoints (agreeable or disagreeable).

If (and I emphasize "IF") ORG posters are withholding rep pts because they disagree with one's thoughts/ideology on the game of baseball, and that their "wrongness" (not a lack of respect or approach; personality) is the reason why they shouldn't be allowed admission to ORG, then I find that wrong, and almost an air of elitism that I find distasteful.

I don't think that is the intent/purpose of this forum... "get in line, and we'll allow you in".

Diversity is good.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

saboforthird

Another method of "scoring" posters, such as used in the movie "Dangerous Minds" (think "Gangsta's Paradise", great song), is to start everyone off with a perfect score, and subtract for infractions. As time goes on, those sores (infractions) begin to heal, and the score goes back up. And, I don't think points should ever be "rewarded" in this type of scoring system. Rewarding posts tends to put posters under pressure, and causes posters to privately (PM's) help each other out (as evidenced by other posters in this thread). So:

- score can never be above 100 (you could even institute a "grade", 90-100 = A)
    - score goes back up over time and slightly faster when poster continues to contribute to the forum
    - score can be knocked down for infractions
    - score can never be increased by any other means than time
    - poster can have a grade of "I" for inactive if not contributing within 30 days

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    But are rep pts issued on here because one is respectful? Or because one makes statements/posts that agrees with (gets in step) with how someone else believes the game should be played and evaluated?
    I've always assumed rep points where for individuals who added something worthwhile to the discussion... which is different than agreeing with me.

Frankly, I've given points to people I totally disagree with, but they made interesting posts.

Quote Originally Posted by GullyFoyle
    Frankly, I've given points to people I totally disagree with, but they made interesting posts.

Me too.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Me too.
    Ditto. I've gladly handed rep points to people on the complete opposite side of an issue but who are providing well thought out contrary positions- even during a heated debate. Being challenged by a skilled logical debate adversary is knowledge gain one way or another. I appreciate knowledge gain tremendously.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I've always assumed rep points where for individuals who added something worthwhile to the discussion... which is different than agreeing with me.

I try to rep things that make the board interesting to read, whether I agree with them or not is immaterial.

I go out of my way to give pts to people that bring up information that I don't agree with if it provides interesting conversations on the board. Heck, I even repped BF a few times when he posted something close to thought provoking.

GL

Same here. I'd say about 50% of the points I've given out were to posts that I didn't agree with, but that they were very well thought out and interesting. I've often given rep to those who have created threads that lead to great discussions as well.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    Oh now I see long winded is the answer.

No, thought provoking is the answer.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I know that there have been many suggestions to change the rep points system, and personally I have no problem with it the way it is (not that someone who is failing in the current program should be allowed to suggest changes). But that's not the reason I posted, I do have one question about the current system. Do you get 10 points for signing up? I only ask because well....

And I hope I'm not breaking any rules, I read and memorized the six commandments and this didn't violate them but I think I read something about not talking about rep points, but I am honestly just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by billy117
    I know that there have been many suggestions to change the rep points system, and personally I have no problem with it the way it is (not that someone who is failing in the current program should be allowed to suggest changes). But that's not the reason I posted, I do have one question about the current system. Do you get 10 points for signing up? I only ask because well....

And I hope I'm not breaking any rules, I read and memorized the six commandments and this didn't violate them but I think I read something about not talking about rep points, but I am honestly just asking.
    Yes, everyone starts out with 10.

The way I see It.

We can waste time bickering back and forth on a bunch of issues that don't mean a hill o' beans.

Or we can learn from one another.

I think it's silly to worry about rep points, or to think our own opinions must go unchallenged just because we believe them to be true.

Reds.com is where you want to go if you want to read a bunch of garbage or post false information.

I love RedsZone for what it is.

There is no need of repair here. Please, Let It Be.

Turn Off Ads?