Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I don't like the rotating mod idea either. We've got good mods. It adds stability. I look at them like Supreme Court justices, they serve until they want to retire and only then do you replace them.

Plus, why fix something that ain't broken?

Plus, I'd have to keep buying off new people, and I don't have that kind of money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21
    If only it were that cut and dry. What one person may view as straight fact, another person sees the same "fact" as open to other interpretations.
    Mike, I don't really think there is a problem with people discussing deeper issues like the ones you mentioned. If anything this board welcomes that as much as any place on the Internet.

Where people tend to hit loggerheads is when a poster says X, gets shown evidence that X simply isn't true and then gets in a snit about it. Intelligent other interpretations of the evidence pretty much always get consideration around here. Finding a different logical home for that evidence also rarely turns into much of a conflagration on this board.

Yet sometimes you've just got an empty premise and those may be opinions, but they certainly aren't valid opinions.

One of the things I've come to respect about you over the years is your willingness to think about the things you think. You always make a strong case for your opinions and you don't change them lightly, but you also don't hold onto to them blindly. And, to a degree, a lot of what I'm seeing from the "I've got an opinion" argument is really a case for "Hey, I don't really want to have to think about this stuff."

Well, it's Redszone and, as you know, that's never going to fly very far
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Again, I call for Moderator rotation. Replace 2 every 2 months. I think there are some great posters here who can step up to the plate and do the job. Nothing against the current moderators, and after a year of rotations, they should be able to become a moderator again.
    Sorry, but it's a thankless job - you couldn't pay me enough to take it on... :
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

jredmo2

I'm sure a ten game Reds win streak would help smooth things over.

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2
    I'm sure a ten game Reds win streak would help smooth things over.
    Best post of this whole thread!

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yep.. and it even comes from someone who isn't new to RZ.

Just plain sad.

Of course after I wrote the above this shows up

Warn: (20%)

So much for stressing an opinion that might be your own.
    To the Mods:

If you really want to air this problem out and you really want people's opinions then this thread has to be a rep-free, warning-free zone. Let people make their feelings known without fear of reprisal. Otherwise you're just giving lip-service to the problem.

Rem

Steel and M2 - and they have a knack for accomplishing this - pretty much nailed it all as far as I'm concerned.

The one slight addition I might toss in would be to create a setting for newly registered users to get a taste for what the community is like before they post. Included in that may be the idea of a waiting period for new users to post after registering, say a month or so, just like CE and others have suggested. Also, urging new posters to browse through the posts of all the veteran posters, just like Steel suggested, isn't a bad idea for that.

I would also advocate creating a community mission statement visible to all and maybe setting up an updated FAQ that's impossible to miss (I never notice the FAQ button near the User CP button, but maybe I'm just not attentive enough). Similarly, bring the Archives forum up to the top of the main page, and make a concerted effort to make sure the posts and threads that show perfect examples of what RedsZone should be about are plainly visible in the Archives.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    My only worry about rotating mods is that you'll end up with posters confused by what is allowed and not allowed due to new mods having a different take on the rules, also I see personal grudges getting brought into it if you have a lot of people being mods
    You already have that.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog
    To the Mods:

If you really want to air this problem out and you really want people's opinions then this thread has to be a rep-free, warning-free zone. Let people make their feelings known without fear of reprisal. Otherwise you're just giving lip-service to the problem.

Rem
    Right on, just another example of the over moderation of this board.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Plus, why fix something that ain't broken?
    Because it is broken. The very existence of this thread is proof of that.

Rem

This pretty much has everything to do with Adam Dunn. New posters, myself included when I first got here, seem to almost always think Adam Dunn is overrated. After being here awhile and getting shown through different numbers I learned his value. Now I think the problem is that most of the people who have been here are just getting sick of going through the same arguements every season. When I first got here in Jan. 05' people were extremely nice as they explained things to me and I have really, I think expanded my baseball knowledge. At the same time though I was nice in return and I think alot of the new people now are taking things way to personally and when they come back with a cheap shot or snide remark all hell breaks loose.

I dont know maybe the best thing to to do would be to create a page that is read before someone signs up explaining tired issues. Explaining why Adam Dunn is not as bad as Marty Brennamen would like us all to believe. Or why GABP is not a hitters park, but actually does play neutral. I'm sure there are more, but thats what I think the problem is. The veterans of this board are just fed up with having to defend the exact same subject every single year.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

My suggestions:

1) Do not allow new registers to post for 30 days. - You have to learn a bit about the board before you are allowed to post - or create a "new poster" forum for them to wade into. Most people that want to talk baseball will weather the period just fine. Those that just want to cause trouble will have to wait for 30 days and then get banned shortly thereafter.

2) State the meaning of the rep, how you would like it used, etc. If a posters mentions rep in any way shape or form, for any reason, throw them under the bus - 1 week suspension. I don't care about your rep point total in the least. I don't care if you got nipped for 5 points or received 15 for a great post. I don't care if you have 5 or 5000 pts. The total doesn't really tell the story IMO, a rate would be better. (See #7)

3) IMO, Old Red Guard should be the safehouse. If you are a long time member in good standing (reputation) then you should be admited. When Live gets unruly, retire to ORG for a few weeks and let Live burn to ground. Once the fires out, rebuild it. There is your incentive for gaining reputation, and making it meaningful.

4) This board didn't build itself. The reputation system gives us a fundamental way to police the board ourselves. IMO its great that the people with higher rep have more power, both positively and negatively. IMO, its not used nearly enough on the negative side. We are failing ourselves and have only ourselves to blame. If you are complaining about the board and are not giving out negative rep to posters, then you are a LARGE part of the problem.

5) RedsZone.com - Cincinnati Reds Fans' Home for Baseball Discussion Expect people to discuss what you say, not take it for gospel.

6) If I had to run/moderate this site I'd have closed it down a long time ago. What a hassle for what should be such an enjoyable pursuit.

7) Now that I am on a roll ... and another thing. I think what should be shown is not your reputation, but rather your reputation/post ratio. I don't care if you have 700 pts for 25,000 posts. I might care a bit more if you had 700 pts for 500 posts. It would encourage people to post less noise and more substance. Your admitance to ORG should be based on a certain time frame (4 months?) and a certain ratio of points. If you are posting a pile of noise, you might lose your rights for some time, until you can earn your way back. Poster for 5 years or 5 months? Doesn't matter too much. You get what you earn.

GL

Worth The Wait

Not to diss on the validity of having everyone share their opinions, but the results of this thread outline the real problem, IMO. 175 posts, all with a bit of different twist on how things should be. You can't please everyone, and that is the ONLY "mistake" I think that has ever been made at Redszone-- trying to please everyone.

I really believe that with the community growing by leaps and bounds and with more and more opinions flowing daily, simplicity is the only solution.

1. One Board. Eliminate Reds Live. Redszone is Redszone-- no "call ups."
    2. A waiting period for posting privlidges. Anyone can sign up and view the board threads at any time, but they must wait _______ before being able to post. I think that would give new members a chance to read the board for awhile to get a "feel" for things.

Worth The Wait

BTW, the "_______" reference above was meant to mean "fill in the blank."

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin
    Not to diss on the validity of having everyone share their opinions, but the results of this thread outline the real problem, IMO. 175 posts, all with a bit of different twist on how things should be. You can't please everyone, and that is the ONLY "mistake" I think that has ever been made at Redszone-- trying to please everyone.

I really believe that with the community growing by leaps and bounds and with more and more opinions flowing daily, simplicity is the only solution.

1. One Board. Eliminate Reds Live. Redszone is Redszone-- no "call ups."
    2. A waiting period for posting privlidges. Anyone can sign up and view the board threads at any time, but they must wait _______ before being able to post. I think that would give new members a chance to read the board for awhile to get a "feel" for things.
    I agree with a waiting period. Too many newcomers walk in with both guns blazing (maybe trying to make an impression) without reading or getting a feel for the board. I was going to suggest a waiting period for ORG, regardless of points earned but, since I advocate one board also, that didn't make sense.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?