Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 433

Thread: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

  1. #226
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    There is a problem on this board or this thread wouldn't have been started.
    I'm not talking about who is right or wrong in an argument. That isn't the problem. The problem is the lack of dignity and respect that is often not afforded another poster...and if that is not clear, then things won't change around here. If I can be a total jerk because I'm right, then we will continue to have problems.
    Frankly, I don't think any one group or side or clique has a monopoly on getting jerky around here. It comes from all directions and suggesting that there is one such subset responsible for it is, IMO, a combination of disingenuous and self-serving.

    I'll be the first to admit, I can mix it up pretty good. IIRC, you're no slouch at it either. Baumer, who was just slapping you on the back there, launched himself quite the fusillade the other day. Team Casey, who is famously nice, can knock a person sideways with a good one-liner. I'm not judging anyone on that. I'm just noting that on this board we have a lot of, uh, talent in that regard. It's not going to go away. People aren't going to be nicey nice all the time.

    It's a baseball board. We jaw about baseball. Sometimes it gets a bit unruly. Could people, including myself, tone some things down a bit? Sure.

    But if anyone came here for a personal affirmation, I'll suggest their quest is misguided. Even if you make a good point around here, you should be prepared to defend it and you ought not to be surprised if others don't treat your feelings like they're made of egg-shell crystal. To paraphrase Tom Hanks, "There is no crying on Redszone."

    FCB made a good suggestion a while back and I'll parrot it: This is probably as simple as everyone try to be a little less snotty and a lot less wounded.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #227
    Leading league in hotness
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    863

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Actually, I don't find much different in the ORG and the Reds Live game threads. Not much of any action being reported in either. It would be better if we had something in "real time" like a chat feature. Than people who want to post "he gone", "multi-tasking", and "Deno would of caught that", etc. would have a place to release it without cluttering up the game thread.
    There's not much of anything being reported in the Reds Live game thread. It's deserted, no fun, and I don't even know why there are two game threads. They are supposedly getting "hijacked" and the "old timers" decide to ditch us "new comers" because that would solve the problem. You've got to be kidding me. It's completely unfair to us.

    Throughout this thread people have said the problem is the lack of respect, but the fact there are two game threads shows absolutely ZERO respect for the people who aren't qualified to post in ORG. Sure, you all like the idea of two game threads, but you aren't restricted to just one. Ask someone who has under 200 rep and we'll see how much they enjoy it.

    If that is how you guys feel, then what's the point of having a Reds Live forum? Just get rid of all of us in it, and restrict membership to the site. If all we do is hijack threads, why are we here? Cut the bull and think about it for a second, the "new comers" aren't creating the problem, the "old timers" are, and I'm sick of it. I'm not saying we are completely innocent, but this is garbage.

    Start showing us some respect.
    Da Bulls
    Da Bears
    Da Reds?

  4. #228
    saboforthird
    Guest

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfreak4
    There's not much of anything being reported in the Reds Live game thread. It's deserted, no fun, and I don't even know why there are two game threads. They are supposedly getting "hijacked" and the "old timers" decide to ditch us "new comers" because that would solve the problem. You've got to be kidding me. It's completely unfair to us.

    Throughout this thread people have said the problem is the lack of respect, but the fact there are two game threads shows absolutely ZERO respect for the people who aren't qualified to post in ORG. Sure, you all like the idea of two game threads, but you aren't restricted to just one. Ask someone who has under 200 rep and we'll see how much they enjoy it.

    If that is how you guys feel, then what's the point of having a Reds Live forum? Just get rid of all of us in it, and restrict membership to the site. If all we do is hijack threads, why are we here? Cut the bull and think about it for a second, the "new comers" aren't creating the problem, the "old timers" are, and I'm sick of it. I'm not saying we are completely innocent, but this is garbage.

    Start showing us some respect.
    Folks, we have a winner! This is the VERY THING that has been occuring since RedZone's conception.

  5. #229
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfreak4
    There's not much of anything being reported in the Reds Live game thread. It's deserted, no fun, and I don't even know why there are two game threads. They are supposedly getting "hijacked" and the "old timers" decide to ditch us "new comers" because that would solve the problem. You've got to be kidding me. It's completely unfair to us.
    Then start posting in the Reds Live! game thread and make it worthwhile or go into the chat room.

    In the meantime, people have voted with their feet on this and the ORG game threads have been a pleasure to read. Say what you will about the decision, but the larger board has made its feelings on the subject quite clear.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  6. #230
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,680

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfreak4
    There's not much of anything being reported in the Reds Live game thread. It's deserted, no fun, and I don't even know why there are two game threads. They are supposedly getting "hijacked" and the "old timers" decide to ditch us "new comers" because that would solve the problem. You've got to be kidding me. It's completely unfair to us.

    Throughout this thread people have said the problem is the lack of respect, but the fact there are two game threads shows absolutely ZERO respect for the people who aren't qualified to post in ORG. Sure, you all like the idea of two game threads, but you aren't restricted to just one. Ask someone who has under 200 rep and we'll see how much they enjoy it.

    If that is how you guys feel, then what's the point of having a Reds Live forum? Just get rid of all of us in it, and restrict membership to the site. If all we do is hijack threads, why are we here? Cut the bull and think about it for a second, the "new comers" aren't creating the problem, the "old timers" are, and I'm sick of it. I'm not saying we are completely innocent, but this is garbage.

    Start showing us some respect.

    I understand you are venting some frustration, but finger pointing isn't a constructive way to do that. It's like M2 said, there isn't one group responsible for the problems around here.

    Also, whether there's a reputation system or not, respect is always earned around here, not demanded.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  7. #231
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,333

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    I don't believe Spitball said that telling someone they're wrong ALWAYS makes one a jerk, but that there are those here (often with large post counts, an entirely different issue altogether) that somehow manage to come across as jerks on a consistent basis when correcting others. It's now what you say, or how often you say it, but HOW you say it.
    There is no issue with large post counts or large rep point totals. None. The system works, almost without exception, exactly as it should. If you post appreciable items you will gain rep. That's an indisputable fact. If you're not gaining rep, that's a "you" issue. Again, my apologies for being direct in telling you that but it needs to be both said and understood.

    Secondly, "how" things are being said is not the current issue. If it were, you would have been banned immediately for your dramatically misplaced "Nerds with Beer" comment in post #193 in this thread. It's curious that you ask for respect but can't give it even when folks are trying to help you out. I'm also curious as to why you feel the forum should change to suit you rather than you changing to suit the forum. Again, that's a "you" issue, not a "board" issue.

    If you don't like how the board works, you have an option- leave. Or you could adapt. Your choice, and I'd be happy to mentor you in order for you to stay. You can, of course, refuse that assistance but you need to understand that doing so completely invalidates your opinion as an offer of mentoring is a dramatic show of respect. Do with it what you will but if it's not to your liking then you need to stop complaining immediately.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  8. #232
    Leading league in hotness
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    863

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Yup, your feelings are clear:

    We are worthless, you guys are superior, we should bow to you, why bother talk to us?

    That's what your feelings on the subject are. But you're saying:

    "Lack of respect, everyone calm down, hide rep, quit being sensitive"

    Try being reduced to Reds Live. It creates a real sense of a community on this board. You get ripped on, and ditched by a "veteran" for the sole fact that you are new. This is what it feels like:
    Da Bulls
    Da Bears
    Da Reds?

  9. #233
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    Also, whether there's a reputation system or not, respect is always earned around here, not demanded.
    Another excellent point.

    I mentioned this in another thread last week. It's a community. Respect happens and it's got nothing to do with your reputation score.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #234
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,333

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    Also, whether there's a reputation system or not, respect is always earned around here, not demanded.
    That's the best point made thusfar. Exceptionally well stated.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  11. #235
    Leading league in hotness
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    863

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy
    Also, whether there's a reputation system or not, respect is always earned around here, not demanded.
    So you're telling me that we start out with absolutely no respect. Good to know next time I expect to be treated like a human being.

    Maybe I should've asked for some respect, but when you haven't done anything to deserve any disrespect, I don't know why it's being fed to me. It's bull.
    Da Bulls
    Da Bears
    Da Reds?

  12. #236
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,333

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfreak4
    Yup, your feelings are clear:

    We are worthless, you guys are superior, we should bow to you, why bother talk to us?

    That's what your feelings on the subject are. But you're saying:

    "Lack of respect, everyone calm down, hide rep, quit being sensitive"

    Try being reduced to Reds Live. It creates a real sense of a community on this board. You get ripped on, and ditched by a "veteran" for the sole fact that you are new. This is what it feels like:
    What's holding you back from gaining the rep points necessary to post on the ORG board? Think about it because there's only one correct answer.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  13. #237
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,043

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    There is no issue with large post counts or large rep point totals. None. The system works, almost without exception, exactly as it should. If you post appreciable items you will gain rep. That's an indisputable fact. If you're not gaining rep, that's a "you" issue. Again, my apologies for being direct in telling you that but it needs to be both said and understood.
    I would also like to point out that there have been a few posters that have gained their 200 rep points after just a handful of posts simply because their posts were that outstanding. GullyFoyle comes to mind. It can be done. It has been done.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  14. #238
    Leading league in hotness
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    863

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Another excellent point.

    I mentioned this in another thread last week. It's a community. Respect happens and it's got nothing to do with your reputation score.
    If that's the truth, then why is it that us with the lower reps are being isolated. It's a community where you are citizens and we are nothing, insignificant. Sure makes it feel like a community.
    Da Bulls
    Da Bears
    Da Reds?

  15. #239
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    4,138

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfreak4
    Cut the bull and think about it for a second, the "new comers" aren't creating the problem, the "old timers" are, and I'm sick of it. I'm not saying we are completely innocent, but this is garbage.
    You don't just get to walk into someones house, pee on the carpet, and demand things work the way you want them ... yet we see it here on a continual basis.

    This board was built by members that have contributed to it for years. It is what it is because of those people, and they deserve a bit of special consideration for what they have contributed in time, money (yes money), and content to build this community. The community is here because it was built, its not here to specifically serve you.

    You don't just get to hop on the train and have full membership and ownership from day one. No where else in life does anyone expect this or flat out demand it, however, lots of people act like its a right here.

    Start showing us some respect.
    Respect can only be earned.

    GL

  16. #240
    saboforthird
    Guest

    Re: Let's all take a deep breath (everyone please read)

    Steel, this thread was never titled "SteelSD, only your opinion counts". Was it? Please, keep your personal attacks to yourself. Also, many here do not care for your condescending attempts at "helping" others. Nobody needs your "help".

    This is an Internet forum. Not a crisis center. Seriously, I never said I wanted to leave, YOU said that. Please stop trying to put words in the mouths of others. You've been doing that for as long as I can remember.

    Want the truth? I don't think you do. I bet you will respond with yet another personal attack along the lines of pointing a finger and saying "bad boy". No one here needs your mentoring, either.

    This is a community forum, SteelSD, not your forum for soliciting your all-worldly Internet counseling services. Sorry, but Boss-Hog CLEARLY said that there would be no names mentioned in this thread (both you and I managed to do that to one another), but your post really got my goat.

    I believe that until the rep point system is rectified -- it needs repair as many here have more than sufficiently stated (and supported) -- the best remedy I can come up with is putting you on ignore. That's a much better form of action to change my perspective on the community around me, then running around trying to play Father RedsZone to posters that don't agree with me. Happy posting!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25