Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Move Shafer up?

Move Shafer up?

Of the various good young relievers at AA, Shafer has emerged as the most consistent. He has excellent numbers and is 24 years old. What do we know about him?

Based on his age and successful year, perhaps he gets moved up when the AA half season ends.

I wouldn't mind seeing Shafer wind up with the Reds this year, to get him ready for a prominent role in 2007. Is that realistic?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Move Shafer up?

So far, he is starting to show signs of a breakout year like Coffey's 2004. It sure wouldn't be a push at his age to see if he can go up one more level and hold his own.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    So far, he is starting to show signs of a breakout year like Coffey's 2004. It sure wouldn't be a push at his age to see if he can go up one more level and hold his own.
    id let him go to the all star break at least. its good for him to continue to show he can do it and gain the confidence. if he is still doing this by then, i think you can move him up then

I'd say don't move him up. The club tried to skip High A with him in 2005 and he struggled a bit. I think what you're seeing now is a guy who's doing much better because he's being slotted where he should be. Maybe give him a cup of coffee in AAA at the end of the year, but otherwise I'd let him thrive where he is.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Help me out - what's Shafer's upside? Downside?

Thanks -
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Shafer is doing great. Shafer/Coffey a good young tandem to pitch the late innings?

Turn Off Ads?