Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any Paul Wilson updates?

GOREDSGO32

Any Paul Wilson updates?

Is he improving any? Will he be making a rehab start again anytime soon?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any Paul Wilson updates?

Last week in the rain delay banana phone session somebody asked Marty about Wilson. The word seemed to be pretty much no word, at least nothing really encouraging. To paraphrase as best as I remember it was something like we all hope and would love to see Paul back out there helping the team but I've (Marty speaking) heard nothing to make me believe it might be any time soon. Seems to me he went on to say the Reds could not count on getting any help from Wilson; if and when it happens it happens.

A day or so later Kremchek got a sentence or two in on his pregame sound bite. He said something about Paul is long tossing without pain or problems; hopefully in the not too distant future we can get him back on a mound. Again no real encouraging words.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 06-04-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Retired

Krivsky said last week Paul hit a wall and they have backed off his rehab quite a bit. Also said he'll probably need another rehab assignment down the road.

GOREDSGO32

Ah .. well bythe time he gets ready the year will be over, and also his contract here. I doubt he plays another game here ever again. Sucks because he was the only decent pitcher we had in some terrible seasons ... reminds me a lot of Rijo and Harnisch a few years back ... veterans that come through with big seasons and it all goes out shortly afterward.

Not saying its the best idea in the world, but Paul seems like the sort of guy who will sign an incentive laden minor league deal with the Redlegs and come back.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Not saying its the best idea in the world, but Paul seems like the sort of guy who will sign an incentive laden minor league deal with the Redlegs and come back.
    I think Paul would do that and I hope it works out. However, I think his career is just about over and is starting to resemble Jose Rijo's last years. Very sad to see.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    I think Paul would do that and I hope it works out. However, I think his career is just about over and is starting to resemble Jose Rijo's last years. Very sad to see.

I always hate to see a player who thinks he has something left but really just isn't physically able to do it anymore. I was at the game when Rijo made his comeback at Cinergy. IIRC, the Reds were down by a few runs by then, but because it was annouced before the game that Rijo might pitch in that game, every one stuck around to see if he would because the manager backed off that just before the game. (Boone at that time I do believe.) It was one of the most electric atmospheres I've ever been in when he was annouced to be warming up in the bullpen. I got chills. Man, Cincy fans are suckers for feel good stories. That night should have been it for him. Go out on top. Unfortunately, the story book ending turned into a nightmare of denial and eventually the realization that he just isn't able to compete anymore. I'm not saying Wilson has nothing left, but you just hope he ends it before his already injury marred career turns into a disaster. On the other hand, he didn't go out on such a good note, so maybe he deserves the chance to at least give it one last shot. Nowhere to go but up I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    Sad, yes, from a personal perspective. Sorry to see anyone go through all that pain and effort, and from all accounts Wilson is a great guy. But you can't compare his accomplishments between the lines to Rijo's for even one second.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

The word which comes to mind is "toast".
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive
    Sad, yes, from a personal perspective. Sorry to see anyone go through all that pain and effort, and from all accounts Wilson is a great guy. But you can't compare his accomplishments between the lines to Rijo's for even one second.
    I wasn't comparing their accomplishments. I was comparing how Wilson's injuries are following Rijo's path. Rijo was a phenomenal pitcher. Wilson isn't comparable to him on the mound, just off. Unfortunately.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Stat geek...and proud

The Rijo story was great. Nobody thought he'd be a great pitcher as he once was, but the fact that he made it back at all is a testament to how badly he wanted it.

Update on Paul Wilson...as of yesterday he still stinks.

Turn Off Ads?