Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: College baseball tourney update

College baseball tourney update

College Baseball post season:

The regionals are underway in college baseball. By tomorrow, the super-regional match-ups will emerge. Just a thought: It would be fun if we could get a group of RedsZone reporters to give inform us about the teams competing next week. Each reporter will prepare a general profile of the team they choose including Coaches, Conference, key players, key players who were drafted (especially if they were drafted by the Reds.) And any other items of interest that may emerge from local online news sources. Fun facts, etc. The reporter would follow their team through the CWS should they advance.

Do we have enough people interested in doing this? If you’re interested in taking a regional champion, please reply below.

Gallen5862 said he'd like to cover UNC, who has already advanced to the superregional.

Here's how it stands. I'll update the regional scores (as long as I'm awake).

Athens regional: Georgia and Florida State. Both have one loss.

Atlanta regional: Georgia Tech wins.
    Austin regional: Stanford wins.

Charlottesville regional: South Carolina and Evansville. Both teams have one loss.

Chapel Hill regional: North Carolina wins.
    Clemson Regional: Clemson wins.
    Corvalis Regional: Oregon State wins.
    Fayetteville Regional: Oral Roberts wins.
    Fullerton Regional: Cal State Fullerton wins.

Houston Regional: Rice and Baylor. Baylor must win twice.

Lexington Regional: College of Charleston wins.

Lincoln Regional: Miami wins.

Malibu Regional: Pepperdine and Missouri. Both teams have one loss.

Norman Regional: Wichita State and Oklahoma: Both teams have one loss.

Oxford Regional: Ole Miss wins
    Tuscaloosa Regional: Alabama wins.
    Superregional matchups:

Clemson vs Oral Roberts
    Houston Regional winner vs Norman Regional winner
    Stanford vs Oregon State
    Alabama vs North Carolina
    Cal State Fullerton vs Malibu Regional winner
    Miami vs Ole Miss
    Athens regional winner vs Charlottesville Regional winner
    Georgia Tech vs College of Charleston
    Last edited by SandyD; 06-05-2006 at 06:25 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College baseball tourney update

I'm hoping Oregon State wins it all. Them or Stanford.

I'm pretty sure they'll face each other at the Super Regional Level.

Kentucky had everything land their way with both home field location and the strength of their pairings...then promptly blew it during their first round game (scoring but one run versus Ball State). Luckily for UK, Notre Dame had to go 16 innings in their initial loss to College of Charleston. By the time the two teams played (UK vs. ND) on Saturday, Notre Dame's bullpen was melba toast and UK scored some "confidence building" runs while eliminating the Irish from the tournament..
    Last edited by Blimpie; 06-04-2006 at 10:42 PM.

UK lost to College of Charleton 7-4. Game just ended, according to CBS Sportsline.com.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    UK lost to College of Charleton 7-4. Game just ended, according to CBS Sportsline.com.
    Ooops...I thought that game was slated for tomorrow. Sounds like there will be no need for me to act as liaison for the Lexington Regional anymore....

I always root for the Shockers.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Too bad, too. Quite a year for your Wildcats.

I just hate it that they went out on their home turf...teams like UK play all season just to get a chance to host a regional, only to lay a giant egg when it is all on the line.

Actually, they have been playing poorly for nearly a month now. Ever since they clinched the SEC East, they started backpedaling and losing to teams they should have been dominating. The terrible showing they had in the SEC tournament had me officially worried that they were starting to grip a little too much.

"Worst to First" in any conference is quite an accomplishment. To do that in the SEC is simply bananas. I am optomistic for the future because they have the real deal in skipper John Cohen (granted I have been a fan of his since he was an assistant at Florida).

Next year's SEC season will be interesting. You heard Laval resigned at LSU? and the entire coaching staff is gone.

Game tracker has the elimintation game between Fresno State and San Diego in the bottom of the ninth, two outs, two on with SD's #3 hitter up trailing by one run.

Game over now. Not sure what happened, but he made an out.

Wow, Mississippi State just took the lead over Clemson. 7th inning, I think. MSU has to win to stay alive.
    Last edited by SandyD; 06-04-2006 at 11:34 PM.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/261522.html
    Chapel Hill Regional Capsule

Boshamer Stadium, Chapel Hill, N.C.

By Will Kimmey
    May 31, 2006
    No. 1 North Carolina (45-13)
    21st appearance, at-large, Atlantic Coast

No. 2 Winthrop (44-16)
    Fifth appearance, at-large, Big South

No. 3 UNC Wilmington (41-20)
    Third appearance, automatic, won Colonial tournament

No. 4 Maine (35-20-1)
    15th appearance, automatic, won America East tournament

North Carolina starts the postseason at home for the first time since 1983, and coach Mike Fox holds three aces in juniors Andrew Miller (11-2, 2.07, 102 strikeouts), Robert Woodard and Daniel Bard that helped produce a 3.22 ERA (seventh nationally). The pitching depth runs deeper with relievers Jonathan Hovis (ACC-best 1.72 ERA) and closer Andrew Carignan (13 saves), while freshman Luke Putkonen (6-0, 3.13) stands ready for emergency duty or perhaps even a start in the opener. The Tar Heels aren't all arms, as sophomore shortstop Josh Horton led the ACC with a .408 average, while five other hitters combined for 48 homers. Errors in the field and on the basepaths have undone UNC at times and could prove crucial in a tournament where one run can decide a game.

Winthrop's lineup is as deep and experienced as any in the tournament, featuring six seniors and a junior. The Eagles also boast series wins at Miami and Alabama (early) and a midweek victory at regional host North Carolina (in May). Senior left fielder Jacob Dempsey leads an attack that ranked among the top 10 nationally with a .329 average and .502 slugging percentage with .407-17-78 numbers. The pitching staff features two righthanders who average 10 strikeouts per nine innings in freshman ace Alex Wilson, who leads the nation with 13 wins, and junior righthander Heath Rollins, who generates K's with his curveball but still can prove hittable. Winthrop needs to work through the regional in as few games as possible to pull the upset. Every additional game favors North Carolina's deeper pitching staff.

Forty wins and a regular-season conference title weren't enough to get UNC Wilmington into regionals a year ago, so the Seahawks added another win and a tournament title to the mix this season to leave no doubt about their inclusion. Like Winthrop, UNCW sprinkles depth and experience throughout its lineup. It scored nearly nine runs per game to lead the CAA and ranked among the national leaders in that category along with slugging (.506) and steals (127) in a diverse attack led by senior outfielder John Raynor (.378-11-64 with 41 steals).

How fun is the fact that Maine's seven College World Series trips match the totals of Mississippi State and Wichita State? The Black Bears eliminated third-seeded Southern Mississippi from the Oxford regional a year ago, so don't expect them to hibernate here. Maine third baseman Kevin McAvoy hit .362-7-56 to win America East freshman of the year honors, while Curt Smith (.380-5-49) and Joel Barrett (.372-5-50) and Ryan Quintal (.325-9-60) also helped the team score 432 runs--112 more than any other team in the league.

Clemson took the lead back in the top of the 7th. Score 7-5. Mississippi State batting in the bottom of the 7th.

Oregon State leads Hawaii 8-3. OSU batting top 8th. If they hold on to win, they advance.

Cal State Fullerton and Fresno State starts later.

My Virginia Cavaliers lost today, and they're out. I'm very sad.

But, hey...the Reds are eight games over, and three games back of first!
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

I am Louisville Cardinal Fan and I loathe (copyright infringed from Puffy) Anything that is the Kentucky Wildcats
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Clemson vs Oral Roberts (at Clemson)
    Houston Regional winner vs Norman Regional winner
    Stanford vs Oregon State (at Corvalis, I believe)
    Alabama vs North Carolina (at Tuscaloosa)
    Cal State Fullerton vs Malibu Regional winner (at Fullerton)
    Miami vs Ole Miss (at Oxford)
    Athens regional winner vs Charlottesville Regional winner
    Georgia Tech vs College of Charleston (at Atlanta)
    Where we stand as of this morning.

Houston Regional has up to two games between Rice and Baylor, who used to be a big southern football rivalry. The remaining regionals are down to a single deciding game. We'll know the field by tonight.

Note: I just want to say why I'm doing this. For years, college basketball has lured sports fans in with March Madness. A lot of people only pay attention to the sport during tournament time. College baseball, on the other hand, doesn't even get much attention from all the baseball fans out there. Accessibility is one reason. Aluminum bats another. Double elimination is yet another. It's still really fun to watch these guys. I've been trying to think of a way to make it easy for people to get excited about the college baseball postseason, even if they don't have a horse in this game.
    Last edited by SandyD; 06-05-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Turn Off Ads?