Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: College baseball tourney update

Re: College baseball tourney update

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    A trip to the College World Series is on my "someday" list.
    Best roady ever. I was last there when Texas won it in 2002 over USC (that's South Carolina) and also in 96-97 for LSU. There are some logistical problems with the way things are run but for the most part, it's 100% joy.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...int261705.html
    2006 College Player Of The Year

Miller piles up stats while pitching Heels to Omaha

By Will Kimmey
    June 13, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See also: 2006 College All-American Teams

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew Miller's 13-2, 2.11 season stands as a key reason for North Carolina's first College World Series berth since 1989. But the junior lefthander would rather be known as one of many Tar Heels piled atop one another after Chad Flack's game-ending home run to clinch a super-regional series win at Alabama.

"I think he kind of feels uncomfortable talking about himself," North Carolina coach Mike Fox said of his junior lefthander. "You know how kids can be, they don't want people to think they think they're better than anybody. His parents said he's always been like that. Even in high school he didn't really want the attention. He's a big kid at heart and a great teammate."

But Miller, all 6 feet and 6 inches of him, can't hide from the attention now. His dominant junior season, in which he posted a 119-36 strikeout-walk ratio and allowed seven extra-base hits (and only one home run) in 111 innings, not only helped him meet a personal goal of reaching Omaha, but also earned him Baseball America's College Player of the Year award.

"I appreciate all the awards and the accolades, but the biggest memory for me is going to be we went to Omaha and what we accomplished there," Miller said. "I certainly wouldn't want to have a good year on a team that's not as good. I've never really been a part of a team like this."

First Lefty

Miller becomes the sixth pitcher to win the award in the last 25 years and the first lefthander to ever claim the award. The honor--and humility--came in the middle of perhaps the best week in Miller's life. The Tigers drafted him sixth overall on a Tuesday, and three days later he struck out 11 Alabama batters over seven innings without allowing an earned run to put his team just one game from Omaha. He used his mid-90s four-seam fastball, 88-90 mph two-seamer and power slider to dominate the Crimson Tide, recording three strikeouts against leadoff man Emeel Salem.

"There's a reason he's the sixth pick in the draft. He's a great pitcher. And it's really hard to solve a guy like that," said Salem, who hit .356 and was the only consensus selection on the all-Southeastern Conference first team.

"He has three pitches and even movement on a 97 mile an hour fastball. We didn't capitalize when we had chances but he didn't make enough mistakes for us to get anything going."

Good luck blending in after a game like that. Even Alabama fans were asking for Miller's autograph the next day. After honoring those requests, Miller settled into the North Carolina bullpen. Mr. All-American (the only player on both BA's preseason and postseason first-teams) was down there holding a walkie-talkie, serving as the team's communicator by relaying the coaches' wishes from the dugout as to which relievers should warm up.

That perch gave Miller a great viewpoint to watch Flack's heroics. "The great performance in the most exciting baseball game I've ever seen," Miller said of the sophomore first baseman giving UNC a 5-4 lead with a three-run homer in the eighth inning and then turning a 7-6 deficit into an 8-7 win with a two-out, two-run walk-off homer in the bottom of the ninth to clinch the super-regional.

"I just ran in from the bullpen as fast as I could," Miller said. "I basically was right with Chad rounding third base. It was a unique feeling I don't think I've ever had.

"That's been our goal all year to get to Omaha. A lot of people started to think that Carolina is a team that never really makes it--a pretty talented team that falls apart at the end of the year. We're finally going to Omaha and I can't wait."

Fox, who was coaching third base, said he'll never forget the look on Miller's face as he sprinted past, walkie-talkie still in hand, to join Flack and the rest of the team in a giant celebratory mass. It was all arms, legs, hats and cleats. Nearly impossible to discern any particular player. Just all Tar Heels. Just the way Miller likes it.

Yes sir! Not bad for a 19 year old in the SEC.
    3B, Pedro Alvarez, Fr., Vanderbilt
    The Freshman of the Year led all third basemen in home runs and accounted for more than a third of his team’s 57 long balls.

AVG OBP SLG AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB
    .329 .456 .675 240 70 79 22 64 57 64 7
    Vote for Pedro!
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/261703.html

Boyd Nation's CWS Preview
    http://www.boydsworld.com/breadcrumbs/cws2006.html

The 2006 CWS

Publication Date: June 13, 2006

You know, it's funny, but this could be the most anticipated week of the college baseball season, but it's also the hardest week for me to write each year. I think that's because I don't do news, and you don't want deep analysis right now. There may be some interesting thoughts to pursue on whether the nature of Rosenblatt Stadium, fairly large, changes the chances of some teams based on their style of play, and I'll probably look into that over the offseason, but those would just be general trends and not absolute predictors. Last week went almost to form, with the UNC-Alabama series providing the only vague upset.

So, I'll just provide one quick historical precedent for consideration, give the odds, and then let you get on to the games.

There have been two times before this year that a conference got four teams to Omaha, and the two times were quite different. I'm curious as to whether that turns out to be predictive. In 1997, the SEC was far and away the nation's best conference. Four teams -- LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Mississippi State -- got to Omaha. All four had been seeded properly, according to the ISR's, with only MSU getting a boost by having a slightly overseeded Georgia Tech team (the ISR's had them around #14 going into the regional) sent to Starkville as the #1 seed. Most significantly, the league had taken out some tough competition on the way there -- Alabama had beaten ISR #5 Southern California, although in Tuscaloosa, and Auburn had gone to #8 Florida State and won. The results in Omaha showed that dominance, with LSU and Alabama meeting in the title game.

Fast forward to 2004, and we're looking at a much different scenario. South Carolina, Georgia, LSU, and Arkansas made the trip, but USC East and Arkansas had benefitted from RPI-based overseeding, and the toughest opponent any of them had faced was an East Carolina team that had come into the postseason at ISR #11 before bowing out at South Carolina. The results showed the difference, as Arkansas and LSU went 0-2 while South Carolina and Georgia finished tied for third.

Comments about seeding for this year's ACC teams aside, since we've kind of beaten that topic to death, the best team that any of the ACC teams this year have advanced over is Nebraska, who entered the postseason at #6, but Miami didn't actually face the Huskers. After that, it drops down to Alabama, who came in at #14. The ACC has put together a really nice postseason run -- the expected record according to the ISR's would have been 16-6 in the regionals, for example, while the actual was 17-6, with Miami's run just overcompensating for Virginia's collapse -- and it was certainly the top conference this year, but the skids were greased in front of them in the postseason, so we'll see have to watch how things play out from here to fully judge the season.

The probabilities, with the chances of reaching and winning the final series for each team:

Cal State Fullerton 42/27
    Rice 41/21
    Clemson 27/15
    Oregon State 30/14
    Georgia Tech 18/ 8
    Georgia 19/ 7
    North Carolina 14/ 6
    Miami, Florida 10/ 3

Clemson beat georgia Tech 8-4 in the first game of the CWS. Cal state fullerton will be playing North Carolina at 7pm on ESPN2.

These are the Reds draft pics that will be playing tonight at 7pm on EsPN2.
    7 204 Justin Turner 2b Cal State Fullerton CA is the Reds 7th round pick.
    32 954 Danny Dorn of Cal State Fullerton CA is the Reds 32 round pick.

UNC takes a 1-0 lead on a top of the first homerun.

UNC now up 2-0 with 2 outs in top of the First.

Turner leads off the bottom of the first with the single. Turner advances to second on a missed bunt attempt.

CSF is winning 5-4 in the top of the 4th. Turner has scored a run and Dorn has a rbi and a run scored.

Dorn walks in the bottom of the 5th. The score is tied 5-5.

Turner has Two hits tonight and score is tied 5-5 in the top of the 8th inning.

The score is still tied 5-5 with 1 out in the top of the 9th.

Turner doubles with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.

The score is tied 5-5 going to the top of the 10th. Dorn is scheduled to lead off bottom of the 10th. Was the thread to post on the CWS moved?

Turn Off Ads?