Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FSN Hearing the Criticism?

Re: FSN Hearing the Criticism?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    Freel hit a HR in the 11th? I thought Rich Aurilia hit it....he had such a great at bat before that!

Thankfully CW mentioned that David Ross had a great AB as well, and actually got on base.
    Tracey Jones WENT OFF on this on the post-game with his usual "I played the game so I recognize this and you don't" stuff. I hate that even more than GG's weak stuff.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flynn78
    Don't let it be said that I didn't show up to talk about GG. I have had a horrible time listening to him. He is so much of a fan of the other teams that it clouds his calls of great Reds moments. I would love to know how much it would cost him to get a spotter on flyballs. I don't know how many times I was working on a paper in college listening and watching and a flyball was hit "pretty good. I would look up to find an outfielder preparing to catch a mid-range flyball. His depth perception is comparable to that of a man looking in a funhouse mirror.
    That's well said. If we were just listening to GG and not watching, he'd have us to believe every flyball hit by the Reds was to the warning track or beyond. And, every pop up was a hard smashing line drive that was somehow snared. Welsh has to be close to flipping out. I couldn't imagine working a game with GG, let alone in a small space.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Well I think the GG talk is a little premature cause Edmonds is back now,and we know its a whole new ballgame to GG especialy with his boy back.

GG seems like a nice guy and I thought he did a decent job when he did that Sportscenter anniversary show, but he is one of the worst play-by-play guys I have ever heard. I dont like Welsch either but I agree with others who say he would probably better with a different play-by-play guy. A lot of times it is as if GG isnt even watching the game. He will say something that is completely wrong, the replay will show that he is wrong and then he will say as you can see by the replay <insert GG's initial incorrect statement here>. Which causes me to yell at the tv: WHAT THE **** ARE YOU LOOKING AT GEORGE!

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    grande is the worst announcer in baseball. not only is he dumb and wrong half the time. not only does he mess up half the things he says. i.e. yest - the reds have 9 runs on 7 hits - no idiot, we have 7 runs on 9 hits.

but his voice is ANNOYING
    Ok, you (and everyone else) may not like him, but he is far from dumb!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Far from dumb? Define, far.

Most, non-dumb people I know don't say, "huh" 456 times per day when finishing a sentence.

"That ball was hit a ton, huh?"

"Griffey showed he can still play center, huh."

"Esteban Yan looking for a fresh start, huh."

The best part is when the air goes dead when George backdoors a question in that fashion to Welsch. I LOVE it. I guess from Chris' perspective it isn't as good as slugging George in the jaw but it allows him to keep his job and maybe get an inside chuckle.

What makes George so bad is that he does a horrible job of setting up his partner. He makes statements all day and puts huh at the end instead of just talking to Welsch. If a subject comes up, they don't ever talk about it as George has to go on and on about whatever the subject is and there is no back and forth between the two. He paints his little rosy picture and by the time he is done, Welsch is ready to move on as there is nothing more to say.

Another thing with Grande that I haven't seen anyone mention is when a sign appears to have been missed and the Reds give the other team an easy out and George will say something like:

"We basically have a gag order on that play until we can get downstairs and talk to Freel and Jerry Narron to find out exactly what happened. I don't want to speculate Chris."

DEAD AIR, DEAD AIR, DEAD AIR.

"And speaking of speculation, they'll be speculating down in St Louis on how long Sir Albert will be out. Jimmy Edmonds will be holding down the fort at first until Sir Albert gets back. Sir Albert is expected to miss a couple of weeks. Sir Albert going down is a big loss for baseball, huh?

DEAD AIR, DEAD AIR, DEAD AIR.

My wife could care less about the Reds and she pays very little attention to the sound or the video when the Reds are on TV and she cannot stand George Grande. Usually I have to state my case and explain to her as to why I find certain TV personalities, annoying. I need no explaining with George.

as much as I dislike Grande, he is not a dumb man. He is just a bad play-by-play guy.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by spaethc
    as much as I dislike Grande, he is not a dumb man. He is just a bad play-by-play guy.
    Agree with this. He seems like a likeable guy as well, he just isn't a good PBP guy, but actually, I've heard lots worse on some of the other local crews.

its ok if they don't want them to be homers but why do we always have to hear about the cards even when we're not playing them. it would be like someone from this message board going over to the cards board to discuss the reds during a cards / cubs series.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    Agree with this. He seems like a likeable guy as well, he just isn't a good PBP guy, but actually, I've heard lots worse on some of the other local crews.
    I am one of GG biggest bashers, but only on a pbp stance. I met him at the Winter Meetings this year and when I told him I was from Cincinnati, he stopped and talked to me for about 10 minutes about the Casey deal. He was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg
    I'll gladly put up with George if I don't have to hear those JTM and Red Roof commercials anymore.
    And what's up with the Yogi Berra in the barbershop/Aflac commercial???How may times do we have to see that before we just might start to get tired of seeing it? 5,000 times??? 10,000 times??? I wouldnt do business with Aflac if you put a gun to my head.

If I were King, I would fix the TV broadcasts like this.

The TV games should have two sets of commercials, graphics, music, etc. One set goes one game, the other set works the next game. That would alleviate the same stuff over and over and night after night and day after day.

13 or 14 yrs of George Grande is a bit ridiculous. Time to add another name to the broadcasts.

Here's the plan: Grande is A, Welsh is B, the new guy is C. In Game One A works with B, in Game Two B works with C, in Game Three C works with A. That would help to break up the same ole crap heard game after game. Each broadcaster works 2 out of 3 games.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 06-07-2006 at 12:24 AM.

The more Welsch noticeably sticks it to Grande the better. Anything that will contribute to getting a new PbP guy.

Old Red Guard Reject

My favorite from last night was when Taguchi threw out Ross at home....

"It's not Edmonds out there, but that throw sure looked like Edmonds" or something close to that. GG is giving props to Edmonds for stuff he didn't even do.

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed
    \My wife could care less about the Reds and she pays very little attention to the sound or the video when the Reds are on TV and she cannot stand George Grande. Usually I have to state my case and explain to her as to why I find certain TV personalities, annoying. I need no explaining with George.
    My wife nevers reads this board, but likes the Reds and sports in general. She was working on some work for her Master's Degree class on her laptop and watching the game with me. All at once, she's like "Why don't they get rid of him (GG) if he wants to root for the Cardinals? All he's talked about is the other team. He's even got the other guy (Welsh) doing it! Can you turn off the volume, I can't concentrate with that man talking!" I just smiled.

Pretty much agree with everything on said on this thread. Except for the part about him being dumb. But one "Grandism" I haven't seen mentioned that makes me want to pull my hair out is when he says "nubbed" as in "here's the pitch, swung on and nubbed down to second." How does one "nub" a ball?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?