Turn Off Ads?

Thread: FSN Hearing the Criticism?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FSN Hearing the Criticism?

I am starting to wonder if the broadcasting team on the tv side are starting to hear the criticisms of fans in regards to George Grande's "impartiality". Not to beat a dead horse, but I have noticed Chris Welsh stepping up on several occasions recently to amend Grande's comments. Specifically, I will cite Saturday evening, when Grande began to lament Pujols' injury as a major blow to the Cardinals. Welsh quickly interjected that, to paraphrase, on one hand, you want to beat the best. On the other, this could be the type of break the Reds need to get back in the race.

In the Cubs series, I distinctly remember Grande reciting and tear-jerking essay on the injuries to Derrick Lee, Prior and Wood. Again, Welsh quickly replied that it was an oppurtunity to bury them.

Again, in the Brewer series, Grande complained that starting pitcher David Bush couldn't quite rediscover the "magic" that helped him shut out the Reds earlier in the year in Milwaukee. Even more tragically, Ben Sheets was on the dl, and "you know his story"... having dominated the Reds regularly in his "brilliant" career. Welsh amended those comments by his partner to say that he hoped such misfortune kept visiting the Brewers so long as the Reds had to play them.

There have been more examples. To me, it is clear that Chris either has a feel for how the game is being presented by his partner, or word has come from up top to extinguish some of the hero worship of our opponents by our broadcasting team. I am by no means an advocate of sugar coating anything. I am a big fan of Marty's, for instance, even as he comes under attack for justifiable criticism. But, I wonder if anyone else has noticed a change in the tone of the television team?

I think the entire franchise is beginning to turn the corner. This may be a byproduct, however insignifigant it may seem on the surface.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 06-05-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Turn Off Ads?