Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FSN Hearing the Criticism?

Re: FSN Hearing the Criticism?

I'd like a carbon copy of the Astro's team please.

Understated, informed, free of inside jokes, sunshine blowing and bitterness.

ON Dunn : Adam Dunn is the type of player that you have to really look at the numbers and go deeper, he has an incredible on base percentage and sees plenty of pitches.

ON Dunn by Reds Radio - Well folks, some say look at the home runs and I say look at the strikeouts and batting average.

On Dunn by Reds TV - Adam like fishing, friends and family.

2. Turn Off Ads?

According to Welsh, coming into yesterday's game (where he had no hits), Adam Dunn was hitting something like .365 on the road trip.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I'd like a carbon copy of the Astro's team please.

Understated, informed, free of inside jokes, sunshine blowing and bitterness.

ON Dunn : Adam Dunn is the type of player that you have to really look at the numbers and go deeper, he has an incredible on base percentage and sees plenty of pitches.

ON Dunn by Reds Radio - Well folks, some say look at the home runs and I say look at the strikeouts and batting average.

On Dunn by Reds TV - Adam like fishing, friends and family.
    Absolutely agree. The Astros tv guys were really good. I was very impressed with them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Absolutely agree. The Astros tv guys were really good. I was very impressed with them this weekend.
    Was I the only one who thought Jim DeShaies looked a little creepy yesterday? Maybe so...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Was I the only one who thought Jim DeShaies looked a little creepy yesterday? Maybe so...
    I didn't see them all weekend myself... heard em yep, see em?

No.. but if we're talking "looks" the Jokers grin always creeps me out.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I did not notice that with Welsh, but thank goodness. While totally homer announcers (no objectivity, Harry Caray w/ Cubs) is one end of the spectrum, the other end of the spectrum is Grande and his feigned objectivity, which is really just spending more time building up the opponent or as Welsh has been pointing out, the enemy, than it is building up the Reds, trying to build excitement and gain fans of the hometown team. But then, how many fans do you think are Cubs fans today because Harry Caray convinced them they should love the Cubbies? On the flipside, why would anyone be sold on the Reds listening to Grande tell them all the other girls are prettier?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Far be it from me to sit on the sidelines when a GG rant is rolling.

The thing that gets me is that he doesn't accurately call the action. If you only turned on the audio and couldn't watch the game you'd have an incredibly skewed picture of what did/did not happen.

Lots of lazy fly balls are "hit pretty good", where so-and-so is "back to the warning track", and the "park will hold it". Every fly ball is hit to the warning track, even when the fielder is a good 30-40 ft short of it when he catches it.

Soft, looping lines sound like laser beams.

22 hoppers to short are hit "right on the button" but "right at someone".

etc., etc., etc.

GL

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong

The thing that gets me is that he doesn't accurately call the action. If you only turned on the audio and couldn't watch the game you'd have an incredibly skewed picture of what did/did not happen.

Lots of lazy fly balls are "hit pretty good", where so-and-so is "back to the warning track", and the "park will hold it". Every fly ball is hit to the warning track, even when the fielder is a good 30-40 ft short of it when he catches it.

etc., etc., etc.

GL
    Agree 100%. I'm bothered more by his inaccuracies than by the other things mentioned in this thread. I've also noticed that he is mis-identifying (if that's a word) players. Maybe he always has but I've noticed it more this year. Normally I turn down the sound but my wife has been watching a lot of games and she likes to "hear" the game also
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap
    Another Grande-bashing thread......

I will continue to feed the monster.....

Grande showed absolutely no excitement at all when Freel hit the 11th inning home run. He acted like it was a routine pop fly. I'm not sure he even knew the ball was a homer. He certainly failed to understand the magnitude of a series sweep against a hated rival that is directly behind The Reds in the standings. He then segued into a dissertation about a home run that (Sir) Albert Pujols hit at Minute Maid Park during the 2005 season.

Maybe he and Rick Sutcliffe have been out golfing...
    I seriously think he doesnt know how to judge fly balls from the media box. Sorta like how fans who dont watch many ball games get all excited on pop outs because they cant judge its trajectory from the nose bleeds.

But I agree, he didnt even get sorta pumped at the homerun Freel hit in the 11th.

Everytime I hear that someone has "scampered home" my IQ hurts....

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benny-Distefano
    Everytime I hear that someone has "scampered home" my IQ hurts....
    and every foul ball is "slapped" BTW, Benny, love the name choice
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

My biggest George gripe is is love of the scrappy player and the over emphasozing of their abilities and their contribution to the club, if pumped up Nefi perz, he pumped up Eckstein (This guy is more important to the Cards than Albert.. guess we'll see eh?) he pumps up every middle infielder and scrub like they were Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth combined.

But of course George was a scrappy middle infielder in college ball, so I forgive him for those transgressions, but they still irk me.

I'm just glad that the net feed I'm able to get most nights is generally less than 5 seconds off my TV off the dish. So, I pretty much turn down the TV to where I can't hear it, except with Steve comes on then I turn it up slightly.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

grande is the worst announcer in baseball. not only is he dumb and wrong half the time. not only does he mess up half the things he says. i.e. yest - the reds have 9 runs on 7 hits - no idiot, we have 7 runs on 9 hits.

but his voice is ANNOYING

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong

etc., etc., etc.

GL
    Very nice...I have to say "hit pretty good" is one of the more underated Grandisms!!!

Turn Off Ads?