Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FSN Hearing the Criticism?

Re: FSN Hearing the Criticism?

To reiterate the points being made about George and his love for the Cardinals, I was watching the game with my sister last night who hates baseball but tolerates it from time to time because we live together. She sat down and had been watching for maybe 5 minutes when she said, "Wow, does this guy (George) always talk about the other teams this much?"

I just busted a gut laughing. When SHE, of all people, notices something like that, you know it's bad!

She also notices my disgust when Rick White comes in to pitch, but that's another story.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I honestly never complained about George. But this year, with FSOH carrying the games, maybe it is because of the over-exposure, but he has actually started to get on my nerves as well. In general I am all for the good guys and really don't care if they have their little quirks. But I find his infatuation with the other teams about as irritating as it gets for me. THat play where Taguchi threw out Ross was a classic example.

And I agree that after a gazillion years watching baseball that he should have a better idea if a ball was well hit or not. Seems to never have a clue, and for some reason this year it is starting to bug me. Actually Steve fits into this category as well - and I like Steve - it just seems he never gives an indication a ball is well hit until it goes over the wall. I am not sure whay this bugs me so much, maybe it is coming from the instant excitement and the anticipation it brings when Marty & Joe would give you that initial hope (even if it eventually fell short) when they thought a ball was well-struck. Whatever it is, it is lacking with these 2. But like I said, I like Steve otherwise and George seems an OK guy too. Maybe y'all are putting too many thoughts in my head!
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Ah, a GG bashing for me is like cake to a fat boy. I can't resist.

Tonight should give this thread more fuel for the fire.

"The Reds and the Redbirds coming up next"
    "You know, you hate to see an injury to a player having a season like Pujols"
    "Eckstein does all the little things right and the little guy plays big"
    "Edmonds.......he got it, he got it!"
    "Juan Encarnacion,.....you know his story."
    You could put together a fabulous George/Creeper drinking game. In fact... let me work on that... hmmmmm
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    I honestly never complained about George. But this year, with FSOH carrying the games, maybe it is because of the over-exposure, but he has actually started to get on my nerves as well. In general I am all for the good guys and really don't care if they have their little quirks. But I find his infatuation with the other teams about as irritating as it gets for me. THat play where Taguchi threw out Ross was a classic example.

And I agree that after a gazillion years watching baseball that he should have a better idea if a ball was well hit or not. Seems to never have a clue, and for some reason this year it is starting to bug me. Actually Steve fits into this category as well - and I like Steve - it just seems he never gives an indication a ball is well hit until it goes over the wall. I am not sure whay this bugs me so much, maybe it is coming from the instant excitement and the anticipation it brings when Marty & Joe would give you that initial hope (even if it eventually fell short) when they thought a ball was well-struck. Whatever it is, it is lacking with these 2. But like I said, I like Steve otherwise and George seems an OK guy too. Maybe y'all are putting too many thoughts in my head!
    The easiest way to tell if its a long drive or not is to watch the fielder, not the ball. They give the best indication if its going to clear the fence or at least be close.

I dont think Grande understands this very easy hint if you arent clear looking at the balls trajectory. Im pretty sure this is how Marty works because his excitement builds when he notices the fielder turn and run towards the wall like a maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    I don't mind Welsch (besides his goofy fake smile) but Grande, to me, is awful. We could do better.
    I wish they would can both of them...not because I wish them any ill will but because I just think they are horrible....individually and in tandem.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Haunted by walks

Maybe it's just me, but I find Grande to be relatively articulate, with a good voice who keeps the pace of the game going well. I've seen and heard lots worse. However, what does annoy me are the Cardinal lust and the problems with the warning track.

Why does everyone hate me? I love my job and just reporting the game. Not everyone who listens is a reds fan. I do not want to offend anyone, I aim to please everyone!
    Its Going to be......GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    You could put together a fabulous George/Creeper drinking game. In fact... let me work on that... hmmmmm
    Good idea. Ever seen the Brent Musberger drinking game? Its hilarious.

Oh, and before I forget, George, welcome to the board. Nice looking site, huh?

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/005660.php

Rule #1: "The Pardner" A person is picked to be the Pardner at the beginning of the game. The first time Brent says "Pardner," the Pardner has to take 1 drink, and then picks someone else to be the Pardner. The next time Brent says it, the new Pardner has to take 2 drinks, and then pick a new Pardner, and so on and so on. The Pardner must wear a special "Pardner" hat.

Rule #2: "Folks" Everyone drinks 1 when Brent says "Folks." However, if Brent says "Hold on Folks", everyone must drink once but the first person to drink has to finish their drink for not holding on.

Rule #3: "It's a foot race!". Whenever Brent says "It's a foot race" everyone has to finish their drink. The first one done becomes "That Man" and gets to punch the Pardner in the arm.

Rule #4: "There's that man again". After someone becomes "That Man," they get to give away 3 drinks to someone of their choosing the next time Brent says "That Man." That person then becomes "That Man." If Brent says "That Man" before "It's a footrace," The Pardner becomes That Man. If The Pardner becomes That Man first, he gets to punch the new That Man in the arm twice after giving away the 3 drinks. There must also be a special hat for "That Man."

Rule #5: "Dr. Pepper". Every time Brent says "Dr. Pepper" everyone has to yell out "I'M A PEPPER!" and take 2 drinks. Afterwards, each person must give out a satisfied "AAAAAAAHHHHH!", as if in a Dr. Pepper commercial. Anyone who fails to do so must drink again.

Rule #6: "Jack Arute". Whenever Brent says "Our ol' buddy Jack Arute" everyone has to say "AROOOOOOT!" Last one to do it has to do a shot. If everyone does it simultaneously, the Pardner must do a shot.

Rule #7: "In the college game". Whenever Brent says this little gem, everyone must say "Shut the **** up Brent", drink 2, and punch the Pardner in the arm.

Rule #8: Mentioning a Big 10 school during a Big 12 game. Whenever Brent does this, the first person who names the Big 10 school's mascot gets to make somebody drink for 11 seconds, since there's 11 schools in the Big 10.

Rule #9: Calling a touchdown before the player actually scores. For example, during an interception return, Brent says "It's a touchdown!" before the player actually scores. In this case, everyone must start drinking and continue to drink until the player actually does score. If by some odd event, the player does NOT score, everyone must finish their drink.

Rule #10: "Gary, my man". Whenever Brent says "Gary, my man", the Pardner gets to choose someone to be Gary. From that point on, that person must be referred to as "Gary, my man" until the game is over. "Gary, my man" gets to give away 5 drinks the rest of the game any time Brent says "Gary, my man". If someone talks to "Gary, my man" without calling him that, they have to do a shot. If there is someone playing the game actually named Gary, that person is automatically "Gary, my man".

Rule #11: "The Major". If Brent has a pet nickname for one of the players during the game, for example calling Major Applewhite "The Major", everyone must drink 5 anytime Brent uses this nickname. However, "Gary, my man" does not drink but gets to give away 5 drinks since this person already has a nickname of their own.

Rule #12: "John Saunders". The first time Brent quips with John Saunders, everyone must drink 1. The next time, everyone must drink 2, and so on and so on.

Rule #13: In the booth. Whenever there's a camera shot of Brent in the booth, the Pardner must make a toast to Brent. After the toast, everyone must drink 1.

Rule #14: "My Friend" Every Pardner gets to choose a "Friend." The friend must always get up to get the Pardner another drink (since the Pardner will be doing quite a bit of that). However, when Brent utters "My Friend" the friend gets to punch the Pardner in the arm for making him get up so much.

Hearing him defend Rolen's average of .192 with Runners in scoring position with 2 outs, was like drinking bleach.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    Hearing him defend Rolen's average of .192 with Runners in scoring position with 2 outs, was like drinking bleach.
    My head almost exploded when he said that. Then to top it off he made sure to mention Aurillia and how he hits the ball hard and has great at-bats. Listening to him tonight has given me a headache and I dont think I can say that about any sports broadcaster ever.

I was doing some quick work in my office last night, but I left the TV on. When Rolen made the play to throw out Encarnacion, I didn't see it, but I heard all the excitement from George. I knew the Reds were hitting, and heard the commotion, couldn't hear what was said, so I ran in to the TV to see what had happened, I didn't know if it was an inside the park HR or what! But I knew George was going nuts.

When I found out that it was the Reds runner getting thrown out, I was angry, and upset.

If I knew where to send a letter I would definately write one and send it. I'd send one to FSN Ohio, The Cincinnati Reds FO, owner and all!

Then my wife says, "What did you expect, you think George would get that excited over a Reds play. He didn't get that excited on Freels homer to win."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    I was doing some quick work in my office last night, but I left the TV on. When Rolen made the play to throw out Encarnacion, I didn't see it, but I heard all the excitement from George. I knew the Reds were hitting, and heard the commotion, couldn't hear what was said, so I ran in to the TV to see what had happened, I didn't know if it was an inside the park HR or what! But I knew George was going nuts.

When I found out that it was the Reds runner getting thrown out, I was angry, and upset.

If I knew where to send a letter I would definately write one and send it. I'd send one to FSN Ohio, The Cincinnati Reds FO, owner and all!

Then my wife says, "What did you expect, you think George would get that excited over a Reds play. He didn't get that excited on Freels homer to win."
    rbutcher@cincyreds.com

He is media relations maybe he can push your letter of disgust to the proper dept.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75

Although this subject has been beaten to death, I think the fact that almost everyone notices George's blatant "love" for the opposition speaks volumes. I'd like to know the solution to this problem--I really would, but I don't have one. My guess is that George works cheap. In fact, I'd bet the whole FSN crew works cheap.

Look at the production on the other Fox Sports networks and compare it to what we get from FSO. St. Louis, Milwaukee, even Pittsburgh has a more professional broadcast. FSPittsburgh and FSMidWest (StL) are even showing about half their games in high definition. It's ironic that Cincinnati was one of the first teams to have their games shown in color (WLW-T way back in the 60's) and now the team's fans can't have decent pbp or production. Heck, I even think the production way back in 1962 was better than it is today, but it all boils down to money I guess.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by George Grande
    Why does everyone hate me? I love my job and just reporting the game. Not everyone who listens is a reds fan. I do not want to offend anyone, I aim to please everyone!
    ned flanders

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    Although this subject has been beaten to death, I think the fact that almost everyone notices George's blatant "love" for the opposition speaks volumes. I'd like to know the solution to this problem--I really would, but I don't have one. My guess is that George works cheap. In fact, I'd bet the whole FSN crew works cheap.
    I don't know, WV. Must be a reason that George emcees the Hall induction ceremonies each year. That is a pretty big gig (and nationally televised). I think some people in the baseball world appreciate George.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?