Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex umpire Eric Gregg has massive fatal stroke

Ex umpire Eric Gregg has massive fatal stroke

Sad news. Not entirely surprising with his weight issues.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2470705

Former major league umpire Eric Gregg, known for his wide strike zone and well-documented weight problems, suffered a massive stroke Sunday and was unconscious, his son Kevin told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Gregg was hospitalized at Lankenau Hospital in Philadelphia.

Eric Gregg
    Brian Bahr/Getty Images
    Gregg, whose battle with weight problems became quite public, was one of baseball's most recognizable umpires.

Gregg's outlook, according to his son, does not look promising, regardless of whether he survives.

"There's no sure sign how much better he can get from here," he said. "He has a large amount of blood in the brain right now."

Kevin Gregg said his father complained to family members on Sunday morning at his home in Ardmore, Pa., that he couldn't feel anything on his left side.

"It became apparent to them that it was a stroke and he was rushed to the hospital," he said.

In early March, the former umpire had his right knee replaced. Kevin Gregg said his father was taking blood thinners to prevent clots.

"They think that triggered a leak in the vessels in the head," he said.

Gregg, 55, was one of 22 umpires who lost their jobs in 1999 as a result of a failed labor strategy. In an attempt to force an early start to contract negotiations, union head Richie Phillips called for mass resignations. Surprisingly, the league accepted the resignations, leaving the 22 men jobless.

In 2001, a judge ordered baseball to rehire nine of the 22 umpires, but Gregg was not one of them.

Three years before losing his job, Gregg was given a leave of absence to begin a weight-loss program. Gregg's decision, through consultation with the National League, came one week after umpire John McSherry collapsed in a game in Cincinnati on Opening Day 1996 and died.

When he took leave, Gregg was listed by the league at 325 pounds. The only umpire at the time heavier than Gregg was the 51-year-old McSherry, who weighed 380 pounds when he died of heart disease.

"In light of recent events," Gregg said then, "I feel this is the right time to take a serious look at my weight and conditioning. My goal is to be a major league umpire for many years to come, and to accomplish that I need to take a closer look at my overall health."

At one point in the late 1980s, Gregg lost 53 pounds after the league office ordered its heavier umpires to drop weight.

Gregg called his first game in 1975 and became a member of the NL staff in 1978. He worked the 1989 World Series, four league championship series, two division series and one All-Star Game.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ex umpire Eric Gregg has massive stroke

sad stuff. certainly, thoughts and prayers are with he and his family.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

regg, 55, was one of 22 umpires who lost their jobs in 1999 as a result of a failed labor strategy. In an attempt to force an early start to contract negotiations, union head Richie Phillips called for mass resignations. Surprisingly, the league accepted the resignations, leaving the 22 men jobless.

God I wish Eric would have not blidly followed the ump's union leader and stuck with his job. My pain is for his family and the chancesa he may have had thru insurance to save his life.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

He has always been a very personable guy. I'm sorry to hear about this. My prayers are also with he and his family

For a Level Playing Field

Very sad. A friendly and personable guy. I did not think much of his umpiring, but he seemed to be a great person.

I hate to hear this. Gregg seemed like a good guy even if his umpiring wasn't the best. I think I remember reading that he suffered the most financially from the stupidity of the umpires union that advised all the umpires to resign. I hope he has the necessary insurance to pay for the medical bills.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Gregg always seemed like a great guy, if not a great umpire. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

saboforthird

May God be with Eric.

Sad news
    Go Gators!

I'm going to write about a great memory I have of Eric Gregg: although he struggled with weight problems, while umpiring, he had a great sense-of-humor. Remember when he left the cheeseburger on 3rd base? Then picked it up and ate a bite? I still love that memory.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Gregg and Frank Pulli were my faves. A lot of style and HUGE strike zones.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

One Man Army

Was just listening to the Cubs/Astros game on MLB.tv...he's passed away.

Per several media outlets he has died. God bless him.

Re: Ex umpire Eric Gregg has massive fatal stroke

RIP big guy.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Ex umpire Eric Gregg has massive fatal stroke

That's a shame. I remember when he came on Furball's show back in the 90s. He was a funny dude.

Turn Off Ads?