Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Milton Loo!

Reds sign Milton Loo!

Moloka'i's Loo signs with Reds

By Stacy Kaneshiro
    Advertiser Staff Writer

Moloka'i's Milton Loo effectively took himself out of tomorrow's Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft by signing with Cincinnati for a $220,000 signing bonus Saturday after his Yavapai team lost to Walters State in the national junior college World Series championship game in Grand Junction, Colo.

Loo, an infielder and 2004 Moloka'i High grad, confirmed the signing last night from Arizona. He plans to return home today.

The MLB draft will be held tomorrow and Wednesday, lasting 50 rounds.

Loo was drafted as a shortstop in 2005 in the sixth round by the Reds. He had 48 hours from his last game to sign or be put back into this year's draft pool. Normally, draft-and-follow prospects have a week before the draft to sign, but since Yavapai was in the World Series, Loo had an extension.

"I'm happy," he said in a telephone interview. "I'm ready to get started."

Loo was drafted by the Reds in the 17th round in 2004 out of Moloka'i High, but opted to play at Yavapai, a junior college in Prescott, Ariz. Junior college players are eligible for the draft each year.

With Loo signed, University of Hawai'i starting pitcher Steven Wright will likely be the highest player selected with a tie to Hawai'i. Wright, a junior right-hander, is projected to be taken within the first five rounds. Baseball America ranked him 50th in its top 200 prospects. He was drafted in the 26th round by the San Diego Padres out of Valley View High (Moreno, Calif.) in 2003.

Wright (11-2 with a 2.30 ERA) developed mononucleosis prior to the start of the Corvallis, Ore., regional and missed his scheduled Friday start.

Also, San Diego junior second baseman Keoni Ruth, a 2003 graduate of The Kamehameha Schools, might be selected again. He was a 17th-round pick by the Kansas City Royals out of high school. He sustained a left shoulder injury in Friday's regional opener against Fresno State in Fullerton, Calif. that forced him to leave the game.

A few college seniors might also be selected, including UH catcher Esteban Lopez and Rainbow outfielder Matt Inouye, as well as San Francisco pitcher Patrick McGuigan, a 2002 Mid-Pacific graduate.

Scouts were not high on this year's Hawai'i high school seniors. Only Iolani left-handed pitcher Wally Marciel's name has been mentioned. Marciel, who signed a letter of intent with Kansas, is the only prep name to pop up in national scouting reports.

Reach Stacy Kaneshiro at skaneshiro@honoluluadvertiser.com.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...44/1052/SPORTS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Milton Loo!

Wow...pretty cheap.

Nice -- and for a lot less than I thought would be necessary. Like most signees, he's a long shot to make it, but the more good amateur talent you pull in, the better. Gotta like an infielder with some power, speed and good defensive skills.

Wow! Great signing to get Loo at that price. I wonder if this makes Bill Rowell less likely as the 1st round pick?

Thanks for posting this.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Is 220,000 really low for the 6th round???
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I wonder if this makes Bill Rowell less likely as the 1st round pick?
    Doubt it. Reds like their lefty bats. If he did well in his private tryout, I'm sure he's in the mix. But my guess is that the new regime, with all its talk about pitching and defense, will grab an arm.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

He was taken in the 9th round last year, but was predicted to go in the top 3 rounds this year had he not signed.

Great sign!

I'm surprised he didn't get more.

Great news. Glad to see Loo was not greedy and wanted to be a Red.

Cruisin' for trouble

Some definite signs coming from the front office that this is not a "business as usual" crowd.

That, more than the Loo signing gives us fans hope.

This year Loo, next year Lou?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Updated Reds top prospects list:

1. Bailey
    2. Bruce
    3. Cueto
    4. Wood
    5. Votto
    6. Loo

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Wow! Great signing to get Loo at that price. I wonder if this makes Bill Rowell less likely as the 1st round pick?
    Allows more resources for Hochevar?! ...... I dare to dream
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

where will loo start, billings or dayton? and is he a 3b or ss?
    Last edited by tbball10; 06-05-2006 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbball10
    where will loo start, billings or dayton? and is he a 3b or ss?
    I think he could probably play ss. the kid playing ss for his JC team appeared to cover a lot of ground in the highlights somebody posted in another thread.

Turn Off Ads?