Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Reds sign Milton Loo!

Re: Reds sign Milton Loo!

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    It's been so long since we've seen simple, everyday basic competence out of the front office and ownership... sigh... even if Krivsky doesn't turn out to be the next great GM, it's good to at least be a functioning organization again.
    I also wonder what part Kullman had in negotiations. From what I have heard in the past, I kind of question his interpersonal skills and ability to stay calm and objective.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is great news. Hopefully - we get more today with the draft. I'm hoping for a Boras-fall out of Hochevar all the way to the Reds' spot in Round 1. Doubt it, but, we shall see.

Getting Loo signed is definitely a bonus heading into today. Hope to see him in Dayton later this summer.

Molokai’s Loo signs with Reds
    By ROBERT COLLIAS, Staff Writer
    Milton Loo has had a busy week.

The 2004 Molokai High School graduate just finished a 70-game baseball season with Yavapai College with a 7-6 loss to Walters (Tenn.) Community College in the National Junior College Athletic Association Division I tournament late Saturday in Grand Junction, Colo.

Moments after the game, with family, friends, teammates and fans watching, Loo signed with the Cincinnati Reds organization for a $220,000 signing bonus. Loo was drafted in the 17th round by the Reds out of high school in 2004, but decided instead to attend Yavapai.

The Reds drafted him again in the 2005 draft, in the ninth round. Loo had a

48-hour window to sign with the Reds after his last game with Yavapai (58-12), re-enter the draft or honor a national letter of intent he signed with NCAA power Louisiana State in December.

He took about 20 minutes to act and it came in a relief role.

“Yeah, it definitely feels good to get it done,’’ Loo said via telephone from Arizona on Monday. “There was so much weight on my shoulders, so many things in my head. I finally got it done and my future is baseball now.’’

As mom, Dodie, and dad, Clarence, looked on with former Molokai standout Kelii Alcon and his family of four, the Yavapai team saluted Loo as he signed his contract.

While doubt has surrounded Loo around draft time the last two years – the 2006 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft is today and Wednesday – this time, he knew it was the right time.

“I just felt like I was ready,’’ Loo said. “I wanted to do it in front of the team, my family and all of the supporters. So I did it right after the game.’’

With Loo’s departure from the draft, Maui’s top prospect is Kanekoa Texeira. Texeira is from Makawao, attended Kamehameha Schools Oahu and has been at Saddleback College, a California junior college, the last two seasons.

Loo, the highest drafted player in Molokai history and the third-highest ever in Maui County behind St. Anthony’s Shane Victorino (sixth round, Los Angeles Dodgers, 1999) and Baldwin’s Kurt Suzki (second round, Oakland A’s, 2004), looks at what his former Maui Interscholastic League brethren have done and gets a sense of what it possible. Victorino is currently hitting .316 with the Philadelphia Phillies after spending most of his first seven years as a professional in the minors.

“I never did think that I would get an opportunity to do this,’’ Loo said. “In Hawaii, back when I was playing ball in high school, you are out there for the team and stuff. I didn’t ever think that I would get this opportunity to play pro ball.

“Just looking at Hawaiian players and seeing what they are doing, it gives me something to motivate me,’’ he said. “Knowing that they can make it, I say, ’Hey, why not me?’ It is all about how much I want it and how much I really desire to play in the bigs.’’

Loo will have to wait a couple of days to find out where his professional career will begin. He injured his right throwing elbow in a game in March and has been playing with an ulnar collateral ligament strain ever since. The Reds sent him to a doctor in Phoenix to check out the injury and Loo expects the report in a couple of days.

A good report will send him to Billings, Mont., of the Rookie-level Pioneer League.

A bad report on the elbow would send him to extended spring training in Florida. Victorino started his professional career with Great Falls, Mont., in the Pioneer League in 1999.

Loo, a third baseman for Yavapai after playing shortstop for Molokai, said he is not worried about the elbow in the long run.

“It happened in a game in March,’’ Loo said. “There was a ball hit down the line and I backhanded it. Halfway through my motion (to throw to first base) the umpire called foul and I just felt something pinch in my elbow. I have been playing with it all year, so I know I can do it.’’

Loo hit 6-for-22 in six games in the national tournament with seven runs, 12 RBIs, a double and three homers. He hit .351 for the regular season with 14 doubles, four triples, five homers, 53 RBIs, 43 runs and 32 stolen bases in 55 games.

In 2005, he earned national junior college honorable mention All-America status after hitting .404 with 14 doubles, six triples, five homers and 38 RBIs as a freshman for a 44-12 team in a wood-bat league.

He started the national tournament this year 1-for-7 through two games hitting with an aluminum bat and then started taking batting practice with his wooden bat. It turned him around in a big way as he had a three-game streak at the tournament with homers in each game and was 5-for-11 at the plate with 12 RBIs.

“It was the best experience of my life,’’ Loo said. “Playing in front of 10,000 people, signing autographs every game, just hearing your name yelled by the crowd, it was all so awesome.’’

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=20401
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?