Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn or _________?

Re: Adam Dunn or _________?

If he were more aggressive he would strike out more and walk less, no thanks

Dunn is a fine player now, one of the best around..we're lucky to have him on our fav team.
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I had someone else in mind, but it's nice of you to step up to the plate.
    What was it Bill Cosby said about an only child? If they start to blame someone else, you have to take them away.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR
    I would love to see what happened if he were aggressive at the plate, .
    See: Dunn, Adam-2003

BTW, I have a very strong feeling that Dunn's going to have a monster set of "hot months" (June, July, and August); I say this because he typically does--fancy that.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR
    this is spot on IMO. Dunn does some great things, but a great player he is not, just too many holes in what he does. I would love to see what happened if he were aggressive at the plate, with his power he could easily add 10+ doubles and 10+ homers per year if he did, so what if his OBP took a 20-30 % knock, the other added dimensions he'd bring being aggresive would far out weigh the negatives, he just takes way too many strikes.
    I disagree completely. From my point of view Dunn's biggest problem is that he swings and misses too much. I just don't see how swinging more is going to help that. IMO he needs to work on making better contact when he does choose to swing. If he does that, then his numbers will surely go up, without the risk of his OBP going down, which is such a huge part of his game.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by 2001MUgrad
    Then Dunn needs to change his role on the team and learn how to run bases and bat lead off. You don't pay someone the kind of money Dunn is making to score runs. His job is to drive in runs, not walk and strikout with runners on second and third.

Dunn's "job" is the exact same job every other hitter has. Help his team create runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Dunn's "job" is the exact same job every other hitter has. Help his team create runs.
    Mmmmm... it is a little bit more than that. They do put em in order (at least in the NL) for a reason.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Adam Dunn or Superman

Adam Dunn or Batman
    Adam Dunn or Da Bears?

Da Bears, by 140 -- but only if Ditka puts in the backups at the end.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    ...and on that scenario you're basing your evaluation of Dunn?

Do you know how many times Dunn has been up in the situation you provided? Hint: It's not that many.

This "productive out" thing is a smokescreen. Basically, people who bash DUnn for this are saying that, sure, he gets a lot of XBHs, sure he's great at avoiding outs, sure he knocks in a lot of runs and hits for power--but in the handful of times every year when Dunn comes to the plate when a "productive out" would be preferable to not making an out, he doesn't come through as often as I would like. Therefore, he sucks.

It's ridiculous.
    it was an example. just like up with risp etc, i dont have the numbers, but just based on my bad memory, he isnt good at being a clutch hitter

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    You may disagree, but you would be disagreeing with the facts. Adam has an OBP of nearly .390 each of the last two seasons, as well as over 100 walks each. His plate discipline is what has allowed him to be successful, up to this point in his career. A high strikeout total is not an indication of a lack of plate discipline, but a high walk total is.

This sounds suspiciously like one of those "I don't have statistics to back it up but I know its true" arguments. Hmmmm...
    like he said, his obp isnt completely do to his discipline. its do to pitchers pitching around him. WATCH THE PLAYERS PLAY. dont just read stats on epsn.com. he takes WAY too many pitches he could hit and WAY to many 3rd strikes.

Gosh, why ever would pitchers pitch around Adam Dunn....hmmmmm?

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Let's review the numbers from the last 2 years. Do you REALLY want this guy to change his approach at the plate?

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SBCS AVG OBP SLG OPS

2004 Cin 161 568 105 151 34 0 46 102 108 195 6 1 .266 .388 .569 .957
    2005 Cin 160 543 107 134 35 2 40 101 114 168 4 2 .247 .387 .540 .927
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Mmmmm... it is a little bit more than that. They do put em in order (at least in the NL) for a reason.

Actually, there is no more to it then that. Batting order matters MUCH less then who is actually IN the lineup.

Adam Dunn and Ryan Freel have the exact same job. Create runs. They may do it in different ways, but they have the same job.

ill try to do for past years when i have time, but so far this year.

dunn is 22nd in obp. of the 21 ahead of him.....

....10 had more than 32rbi's
    ....2 tied him with 32rbi's - dunn would be right in the middle
    ....9 had less than 32 rbi's

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    Let's review the numbers from the last 2 years. Do you REALLY want this guy to change his approach at the plate?

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SBCS AVG OBP SLG OPS

2004 Cin 161 568 105 151 34 0 46 102 108 195 6 1 .266 .388 .569 .957
    2005 Cin 160 543 107 134 35 2 40 101 114 168 4 2 .247 .387 .540 .927
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but more than that, i want him to learn what the word DEDICATION and the word WORK ETHIC mean.

Turn Off Ads?