Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shocking.........Zero Respect

for the reds, now, before i get slammed I realize we have to earn it but geez. All they talk about on ESPN is the Yanks Red Sox and White Sox Tigers as the two premiere series this week, not one mention of the reds-cards. On baseball tonight they did an entire rundown of the NL central without the reds on it, didn't mention the brewers either but i don't care about them. On Mike and Mike they talked about the two important series this week being the aforementioned

Cards - "just opened up the race"
    Astros - "need to right the ship and take advantage"
    Cubs - "starting to get healthy and may have a shot"
    Pirates - "are the out of it yet, likely but could make a run"

I mean seriously, we are 3 games out....... a sweep puts us in first place. You'd think with us winning 4 in a row, Albert on the DL would make for more attention, guess not oh well, time to put it on the cards and earn it baby.

Re: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Yeah, this weekend I caught a little segment they did on possible trade scenarios involving notable contenders -- Houston, several games back of the Reds, was listed. The Reds weren't. And, as usual, the Yanks and Red Sox were credited as having more needs than the other notable contenders (because, as we all know, it is of the utmost importance that all of the needs of the Yanks and the Red Sox be met immediately, guaranteeing yet another dream postseason matchup of everybody's favorite two teams).

I am not bitter, not bitter at all......

Why should the media care when the people of Cincinnati don't?

Just saying....

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

Just saying....
    unfortunately...........true.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph

Just saying....
    Great post. Maybe the media is waiting for the city to buy in before they do. And if the city doesn't buy in b/c of the summer swoons of the past few years, why should the media?

RIGHT ON. try getting more than 30k in for a game this year. i remember a while back we were like 10 over earlier in the year and there was like 15k in the stands.

PATHETIC

plus, those other teams, excluding pitt(who they threw in to bad mouth) have proven over the years to be winners and to do what it takes to win

the Reds HAVEN'T
    Last edited by NewEraReds; 06-05-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    plus, those other teams, expluding pitt(who they threw in to bad mouth) have proven over the years to be winners and to do what it takes to win

the Reds HAVEN'T
    Exactly. If the Reds are still 3 games out (or better) at the All-Star Break, then you'll hear things like "What do the Reds have to do to stay in the race?".

If they're still 3 games out (or better) come Sept 1, then you'll hear things like "How can the Reds hold off or overtake the Cardinals?".

If they make the playoffs you'll hear things like "The Reds have had a great offense for years, and now that they have the pitching, they can go a long way."

Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Exactly. If the Reds are still 3 games out (or better) at the All-Star Break, then you'll hear things like "What do the Reds have to do to stay in the race?".

If they're still 3 games out (or better) come Sept 1, then you'll hear things like "How can the Reds hold off or overtake the Cardinals?".

If they make the playoffs you'll hear things like "The Reds have had a great offense for years, and now that they have the pitching, they can go a long way."

Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.
    Excellent thoughts. I see that some in this thread believe the fans should have just ignored the flawed intent of prior Reds ownership, and continue to show in droves even if the team were to stink it up. For so many years, the fans in Cincinnati were basically told "buy tickets and we will build a team". It never happened. How can ANYONE blame the fans for feeling the way they do? Every year, right around the All-Star break (if not sooner) it's "here we go again...". Show the fans that you care enough to put a winning product on the field, THEN they will show up. That's how it's supposed to work.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Can't argue this.

If respect is earned, why were Pittsburgh and the Scrubbies mentioned?

As far as television is concerned it is a New York, Boston, LA, Chicago kind of world. Small markets don't matter because that's not where TV makes there money. If the networks had their way every World Series, NBA championship, Super Bowl would be a New York vs. LA or New York vs. Chicago etc... That's where the ratings are so they often discuss these teams without consideration of smaller markets.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    As far as television is concerned it is a New York, Boston, LA, Chicago kind of world. Small markets don't matter because that's not where TV makes there money. If the networks had their way every World Series, NBA championship, Super Bowl would be a New York vs. LA or New York vs. Chicago etc... That's where the ratings are so they often discuss these teams without consideration of smaller markets.
    I agree with you 100%, i just wish they'd *at least* mention the reds/cards as a big series. If anything all the reasons state above seem like it would be an even more reason to talk about it.

Can the reds prove themselves this week in a key 3-game series this week against the cards is a great story, but maybe i'm just wearing my red goggles.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K-GAR
    maybe i'm just wearing my red goggles.
    do those come in the same pack as beer goggles?? If so than you better watch out who you wind up with at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    do those come in the same pack as beer goggles?? If so than you better watch out who you wind up with at the end of the day.

I've never went to bed with an ugly woman.................but then again i have woke up with a few

For a Level Playing Field

This is why I listen to WLW on the drive to work. I get to hear about the REDS every 20 minutes. At 6:50 am I get to hear the Frisch's Big-Boy Big Play of the Game. I hardly ever hear them mention the Yanks or the Red Sox. Hardly anything but the REDS (and Chris Henry... ugh)... and that is the way I like it.

Of course if the REDS had been swept (rather than doin' the sweepin'), I would have been listening to a CD of music this morning...

Turn Off Ads?