Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Re: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    do those come in the same pack as beer goggles?? If so than you better watch out who you wind up with at the end of the day.

I've never went to bed with an ugly woman.................but then again i have woke up with a few

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

This is why I listen to WLW on the drive to work. I get to hear about the REDS every 20 minutes. At 6:50 am I get to hear the Frisch's Big-Boy Big Play of the Game. I hardly ever hear them mention the Yanks or the Red Sox. Hardly anything but the REDS (and Chris Henry... ugh)... and that is the way I like it.

Of course if the REDS had been swept (rather than doin' the sweepin'), I would have been listening to a CD of music this morning...

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Exactly. If the Reds are still 3 games out (or better) at the All-Star Break, then you'll hear things like "What do the Reds have to do to stay in the race?".

If they're still 3 games out (or better) come Sept 1, then you'll hear things like "How can the Reds hold off or overtake the Cardinals?".

If they make the playoffs you'll hear things like "The Reds have had a great offense for years, and now that they have the pitching, they can go a long way."

Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.
    Excellent thoughts. I see that some in this thread believe the fans should have just ignored the flawed intent of prior Reds ownership, and continue to show in droves even if the team were to stink it up. For so many years, the fans in Cincinnati were basically told "buy tickets and we will build a team". It never happened. How can ANYONE blame the fans for feeling the way they do? Every year, right around the All-Star break (if not sooner) it's "here we go again...". Show the fans that you care enough to put a winning product on the field, THEN they will show up. That's how it's supposed to work.

I think people yearning for ESPN to at least occasionally notice the Reds are still playing good ball are not crazy in their yearning. It wouldn't kill the ESPN folks to acknowledge Cincy's presence in the race, or the fact that they have stubbornly stayed in the race through a rough patch. The easy analysis (Reds' starting pitching blows) has been proven to be off so far this year. They are getting j u s t enough pitching that their still potent offense makes the early success perhaps sustainable. That said, there is no reason why they should not get mentioned while Houston and Chicago (and even Pittsburgh and Milwaukee) do. It was the Sunday morning Baseball Tonight broadcast with Ravech and Phillips that was so egregious (as was alluded to earlier). With Pujols out, they talked about the NL Central race and mentioned every frickin' team but the Reds. Really, it was sloppy as hell. And, it gets old.

Yes, I can get Reds talk on the 'net and XM through WLW. But it would be nice to get a little, especially in features on their division, from the ESPN types as well. That's all. And that's not too much to ask. At least occasionally.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-05-2006 at 02:23 PM.

The Reds and Brewers have a better shot then the cubs or pirates.
    Go Gators!

Zoinks!

I saw that Sunday morning also. When they asked what Pujols' injury might mean for other central division teams "like the Cub and the Pirates" I laughed out loud...then I changed the channel.
    Last edited by minus5; 06-05-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The thing is, the Reds have played out this scenario for the past few seasons. Contenders in May, pretenders by July.

If they are in first place at the All-Star break, you'll see a ton of media coverage.
    Yep. Losing puts you at the bottom of the deck. It's hard to get the stink off an organization.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

If it makes anyone feel better, Charlie Steiner [ex of ESPN current Dodger boradcaster and XM Radio host] on his show this afternoon had Buster Olney [Yankee lover and ESPNer] on and they were discussing Pujols injury's affect on the Central race. Olney immediately jumped to this as being the big opening the Astros needed to overtake the Cards, and Mr Steiner just as immediately mentioned the Reds as the team having the best chance to use this open door.

So while the Great Sporting Power of the North East might not yet be ready to give the team any 'credit', the best baseball network [XM] is willing to recognize that they are at least in the conversation.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    If it makes anyone feel better, Charlie Steiner [ex of ESPN current Dodger boradcaster and XM Radio host] on his show this afternoon had Buster Olney [Yankee lover and ESPNer] on and when they were discussing Pujols injury affect on the Central race. Olney immediately jumped to this as being the big opening the Astros needed to overtake the Cards, and Mr Steiner just as immediately mentioned the Reds as the team having the best chance to use this open door.

So while the Great Sporting Power of the North East might not yet be ready to give the team any 'credit', the best baseball network [XM] is willing to recognize that they are at least in the conversation.
    I'm actually pleased to hear Steiner call Olney on that. I heard Olney on Mike & Mike this morning, and he blew past the Reds again on there as well. Again, if they had not just swept the Astros in Houston, it wouldn't have annoyed quite like it did.

At any rate, did Olney acknowledge Steiner's words? Or did he pretend Steiner was speaking in a different language?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Exactly. If the Reds are still 3 games out (or better) at the All-Star Break, then you'll hear things like "What do the Reds have to do to stay in the race?".

If they're still 3 games out (or better) come Sept 1, then you'll hear things like "How can the Reds hold off or overtake the Cardinals?".

If they make the playoffs you'll hear things like "The Reds have had a great offense for years, and now that they have the pitching, they can go a long way."

Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.
    Can't argue this.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minus5
    I saw that Sunday morning also. When they asked what Pujols' injury might mean for other central division teams "like the Cub and the Pirates" I laughed out loud...then I changed the channel.
    The Cubs and the Pirates are toast. They're done.

Prior and Lee can't save the Cubs now. I think it's too late for them. The Pirates have been out since week 3

Re: the above quote and thought (2 above now), I can argue it a bit. In that example cited earlier in this thread and also recounted by me later in the thread, the Pirates and Brewers were given some run in terms of chatter about their re-entry into the race. So...what exactly have they done in the last 13 years to earn "respect"?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    The Cubs and the Pirates are toast. They're done.

Prior and Lee can't save the Cubs now. I think it's too late for them. The Pirates have been out since week 3
    yes, of course, and yet, the point is that Ravech and Phillips talked about their chances, seriously, along with those of the Astros and Brewers, when sizing up the NL Central, and yet didn't find even two seconds to mention the Reds. It is the reason for the original post on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    The Pirates have been out since week 3
    ...of spring training, you mean.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    If it makes anyone feel better, Charlie Steiner [ex of ESPN current Dodger boradcaster and XM Radio host] on his show this afternoon had Buster Olney [Yankee lover and ESPNer] on and they were discussing Pujols injury's affect on the Central race. Olney immediately jumped to this as being the big opening the Astros needed to overtake the Cards, and Mr Steiner just as immediately mentioned the Reds as the team having the best chance to use this open door.

Steiner is one of the best in the business. He very rarely misses anything. I wish he were a RedsZone member.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?