Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Re: Shocking.........Zero Respect

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Steiner is one of the best in the business. He very rarely misses anything. I wish he were a RedsZone member.
    Plus we could then follow him, follow him to freedom!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    Re: the above quote and thought (2 above now), I can argue it a bit. In that example cited earlier in this thread and also recounted by me later in the thread, the Pirates and Brewers were given some run in terms of chatter about their re-entry into the race. So...what exactly have they done in the last 13 years to earn "respect"?
    They haven't done anything, but they've been so bad for so long that any kind of resurgence is exciting and semi-newsworthy. The Reds have cried "wolf" too many times -- playing well for two months then falling flat -- so people temper their expectations.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    They haven't done anything, but they've been so bad for so long that any kind of resurgence is exciting and semi-newsworthy. The Reds have cried "wolf" too many times -- playing well for two months then falling flat -- so people temper their expectations.
    The only problem with that is fans shouldn't go to games only if it is September and the team is in the hunt. I can understand if it is September 28th and the team is 25 games back. But when the team is playing well, fans should be enjoying the winning atmosphere and having fun at A BASEBALL GAME. It's still entertainment and still a day at the ballpark. There isn't any rules stating that people can only go if the team is in first after the all-star game.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw
    Plus we could then follow him, follow him to freedom!
    One of the best moments in TV advertising...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    ...of spring training, you mean.
    I'm trying to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    The only problem with that is fans shouldn't go to games only if it is September and the team is in the hunt. I can understand if it is September 28th and the team is 25 games back. But when the team is playing well, fans should be enjoying the winning atmosphere and having fun at A BASEBALL GAME. It's still entertainment and still a day at the ballpark. There isn't any rules stating that people can only go if the team is in first after the all-star game.
    I agree. I wish more people were dedicated to the Reds like you, me, and the other fans on this board.

What's funny is that if the Reds are in contention, those same fans who stayed home in May will be hogging up all the good tickets in September.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I watched BBTN on Saturday and #1 & #2 on the webgems were Freel's catch and Kearns' catch respectively. When the Reds do something good ESPN notices and acknowledges them when need be. Unforunately the past few years the Reds haven't been exactly great and as stated earlier in the thread they'll have a fast start then drop to near the bottom. I think most of us realize the Reds are starting to turn things around starting pitching-wise with Arroyo/Harang as out #1/#2 but ESPN and the national media sees it as if the Reds still had Paul Wilson and his plastic elbow starting off the season 9-0 and than royally (no pun intended) dropping off in a tailspin.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    yes, of course, and yet, the point is that Ravech and Phillips talked about their chances, seriously, along with those of the Astros and Brewers, when sizing up the NL Central, and yet didn't find even two seconds to mention the Reds. It is the reason for the original post on this thread.
    it is the reason, i just don't see how you can have a discussion about 3 things without discussing the reds (which happened):

-How does this affect the NL central race with Pujols out
    -Possible trades for teams in contention (mentioning the stros without the reds is just damn dumb)
    -Most important series' of the week

I"m not asking for ESPN to do segments on the reds and all of a sudden adore us in a redsox/yankee-ish way, just at least friggin acknowledge our presence in the race.

One Man Army

Isn't the Brewers' pitching staff an absolute mess? Capuano's been the only reliable starter while Ohka and Sheets hang out on the DL.

I'd like to continue getting no respect. I do love watching highlights on t.v. and hearing about our improvements, but flying under the radar as long as possible is good for this team. Remember what happened about a month ago when we were in first and on every ESPN, Mike and Mike, PTI, etc.? We starting playing poorly. Now, the media has forgotten about us slightly and we're playing well again. I could care less if we get respect or not. I just want to win and get the respect at the end of the season.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Respect is earned. Once they show the media they're not just a fluke, then they'll get tons and tons of love.
    If respect is earned, why were Pittsburgh and the Scrubbies mentioned?

Who cares? Isnt it better to fly under the radar screen? I hope the media keeps neglecting the Reds and they keep winning.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Why this big concern over whether ESPN gives us respect or a fair shake? Of course we want our team to get props, especially when playing well, but who gives a rip whether they notice us or not. Face it, they are going to focus on the big teams because that is where the money is. The fact that they are on the east cost only adds to things.

Everybody wants approval but to get bent out of shape over it is a waste of time. Put that energy into winning or something productive.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

I just try to avoid ESPN these days. It is pretty sad how bad that network has gotten, but thats when happens when you really don't have any competition. I think that all time worst ESPN moment of the new century was when they tried to crown the 05-06 USC football team as the best ever before they even played the National Championship game, I didn't like Texas but cheered for them just so ESPN would look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    Why this big concern over whether ESPN gives us respect or a fair shake? Of course we want our team to get props, especially when playing well, but who gives a rip whether they notice us or not. Face it, they are going to focus on the big teams because that is where the money is. The fact that they are on the east cost only adds to things.

Everybody wants approval but to get bent out of shape over it is a waste of time. Put that energy into winning or something productive.
    Like posting on a Reds message board?

Look, it is what it is. But there is no shame in asking that the team be mentioned when they are doing a frickin' run-down of the NL Central race post-oblique and talk about everyone but the Reds. It's just something a few of us noticed. But thanks for the lecture, I will now put my energy into "winning", altho I am not sure what I can do.

I know, I will step outside and scream "WIN DOGGONE IT" into the Memphis night air...

Turn Off Ads?