Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BA updated mock top 15

Re: BA updated mock top 15

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    His "boogeyman in the closet" was he was emotional on the mound, had a bad car wreck that no one has said involved or did not involve alcohol and he USED to have a big party problem, but apparently that hasnt been a problem since his junior year.
    As for Ankiel, his talent was never in question it was just all in his head. The Reds wont take Drabek, but I know I would like them to.
    Yea, I read the article on him once some of the details got out. However, all of the scouting reports deal with the non-baseball issues more than the question of "is this kid a Josh Beckett/Kerry Wood type talent or is he just a very good HS pitcher?"

If he's a Beckett/Woods, then I would consider drafting him. If he's just a very good HS pitcher, then I prefer a more advanced arm like Lincecum. If he's a BJ Upton talent at SS, then I would consider drafting him for that purpose, too. If he's a "might need to move to 3B or OF" type, then I prefer an advanced arm.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The latest BA projection has not only Tim Linecum and Daniel Bard on the board when the Reds pick, but also ANDREW MILLER (supposedly dropping because he might ask for a lot of money).

If the Reds ever wanted to show that a definitive change of regime has occurred, this would be their chance. Miller might be the best pitcher the Reds get a chance to draft in the next decade, they can't let him slide by if he's there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Cruisin' for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    If the Reds ever wanted to show that a definitive change of regime has occurred, this would be their chance. Miller might be the best pitcher the Reds get a chance to draft in the next decade, they can't let him slide by if he's there.
    Even if there are injury concerns?

What exactly are the injury concerns with Andrew Miller?

Provided he isn't damaged goods I'd love to see Miller in a Reds uniform.

He is reportedly asking for a crazy signing bonus, I think I heard 8 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth
    What exactly are the injury concerns with Andrew Miller?
    The only legitimate injury concern I see with him is that he might put a dent in an organization's pocketbook.

Scott Boras is his advisor and I don't think there's any doubt he'd be the #1 overall pick if he'd agree to a pre-draft deal with the Royals. I'm sure Boras will toss out all sorts of crazy numbers, but, as chili noted in the stickied draft thread, Miller supposedly regrets ever having gone to college in the first place and is itching to get into the pros. That sounds like a kid whose price is negotiable to me.

The clandestine injury speculation strikes me as little more than teams trying to innoculate themselves against the question of why they let a kid with that much talent slip past them.

Cruisin' for trouble

Couple of things I saw for the first time today (although I wasn't looking much before)

1- Speculation is that Miller wants to drop to the Cubs and is using the $$$$ as a way to scare off some of the early drafters.

2- Some had wondered if his arm was an issue since his numbers seemed to take a downturn towards the end of the year. In his last start, he through A LOT of sliders.

Could be BS, as far as anyone knows.

The clandestine injury speculation strikes me as little more than teams trying to innoculate themselves against the question of why they let a kid with that much talent slip past them.
    That was my impression as well since these "injury concerns" didn't surface until after the rumors of Miller's huge bonus demands but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any legitimate info on the subject.

The latest BA projection has not only Tim Linecum and Daniel Bard on the board when the Reds pick, but also ANDREW MILLER (supposedly dropping because he might ask for a lot of money).

I'm with M2 - here is the Scouts.com write up of Miller:

Keith Law, formerly the special assistant to the general manager for the Toronto Blue Jays, is the senior baseball analyst for Scouts Inc. He debuts on ESPN.com with his top 20 prospects for Tuesday's first-year player draft.

1. Andrew Miller, LHP, University of North Carolina

Year School ERA IP H R ER HR BB SO Opp. BA K %
    2006 North Carolina 2.26 103.2 82 40 26 1 35 108 .217 26%
    2006 Chatham 1.65 49.0 22 11 9 1 23 66 .133 34%
    2005 North Carolina 2.98 96.2 78 45 32 4 52 104 .230 25%

The consensus No. 1 pick, Miller has been on prospect radar screens since he was a senior in high school in Florida, when he flashed a 94-95 mph fastball but fell out of the first round due to his seven-figure bonus demands. Tampa Bay selected him in the third round in 2003 but failed to sign him -- another parting gift from Chuck LaMar -- which has worked out well for Miller, who finds himself as the top left-handed starter in a draft thin on first-round talents. Miller's fastball sits in the low 90s, but he can run it up to 96-97 as needed, and he complements it with a plus breaking ball that he sweeps to left-handers but throws with more of a two-plane break to right-handers. Because he's 6-foot-6, Miller's delivery also causes trouble for left-handed hitters. And he was easily the best groundball pitcher among college starter prospects this year, with nearly 80 percent of his field outs coming on the ground.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

80% ground outs?!

All right, now I'm totally sold. The Reds are about to have a platter of manna from Heaven paraded in front of them. Eat it for crying out loud!

80% ground outs?!

All right, now I'm totally sold. The Reds are about to have a platter of manna from Heaven paraded in front of them. Eat it for crying out loud!
    I almost went back and bolded that part - I'm glad you picked up on it. That, plus the strikeout per inning, is what really sold me.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

The only legitimate injury concern I see with him is that he might put a dent in an organization's pocketbook.

Scott Boras is his advisor and I don't think there's any doubt he'd be the #1 overall pick if he'd agree to a pre-draft deal with the Royals. I'm sure Boras will toss out all sorts of crazy numbers, but, as chili noted in the stickied draft thread, Miller supposedly regrets ever having gone to college in the first place and is itching to get into the pros. That sounds like a kid whose price is negotiable to me.

Where does it say that Boras is his advisor????? Talking about Andrew Miller

80% ground outs?!

Agreed.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

They picked right cause Stubbs it was!

Turn Off Ads?