Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BA updated mock top 15

Re: BA updated mock top 15

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Baseball America called the Reds last year on Jay Bruce.
    Because the draft fell as expected, it may not this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Drabek is apparently good enough with the bat that if he werent so good on the mound, he would be the best positional player in the high school crop. Problme is, he is just that much better on the mound. Even with how "deep" this years college pitching is, Drabek is the guy I would like to see if Miller and Hochevar are not available.
    IF, and only IF, Drabek is a greater talent than all of the college pitchers available would I consider drafting him as a pitcher. Frankly, I really can't get a good idea based on the various scouting reports. All of them seem to say, "Well, he's really good, but he's got these boogemen in the closet that we can't tell you about." They don't really give a good comparison to him versus the rest of the field.

If he is considered a true stud SS prospect, I might consider taking him with the intent of leaving him at SS. I'm a big fan of very high quality SS play. I suppose it has something to do with #11 being around when I really started to learn the game.

I would not, under any circumstances, draft Drabek with the idea that if he fails as a pitcher, you can always convert him. Rick Ankiel was supposed to be a great OF prospect, just a better pitching prospect. We've seen how the move back out on the field worked for him.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    Agreed, but I couldn't believe they had him at 13.
    Ahhhh...I misread your post. I believe they had the Cubs take him because the Cubs have had a thing for guys in HS who ooze tools...no matter their production. They tend to become enamored with power, as seen with guys like Brian Dopirak and Ryan Harvey. They also like guys who are really athletic, although not always.

They have a new scouting director in Tim Wilken, so we'll see what route he takes. As a Cubs fan (*ducks*), I'm hoping he goes for Snider. The Cubs have a ton of position prospects in their system who strike out a ton as it is. Adding a guy like Marrero, Stubbs, Conger, or Rowell (whose height worries me in terms of his ability to hit inside pitches) would not do much to help that image.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    As a Cubs fan
    AAHhhhhhhh

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    AAHhhhhhhh

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    IF, and only IF, Drabek is a greater talent than all of the college pitchers available would I consider drafting him as a pitcher. Frankly, I really can't get a good idea based on the various scouting reports. All of them seem to say, "Well, he's really good, but he's got these boogemen in the closet that we can't tell you about." They don't really give a good comparison to him versus the rest of the field.

If he is considered a true stud SS prospect, I might consider taking him with the intent of leaving him at SS. I'm a big fan of very high quality SS play. I suppose it has something to do with #11 being around when I really started to learn the game.

I would not, under any circumstances, draft Drabek with the idea that if he fails as a pitcher, you can always convert him. Rick Ankiel was supposed to be a great OF prospect, just a better pitching prospect. We've seen how the move back out on the field worked for him.
    His "boogeyman in the closet" was he was emotional on the mound, had a bad car wreck that no one has said involved or did not involve alcohol and he USED to have a big party problem, but apparently that hasnt been a problem since his junior year.
    As for Ankiel, his talent was never in question it was just all in his head. The Reds wont take Drabek, but I know I would like them to.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    I'm in the minority in that I see the value of Stubbs. Apparently, he is a lock to be a plus defender in CF -- and since he's from a big-time college program he could probably step into GAB very soon and provide that defensive upgrade. Then you get the nice offensive tools all around (power and speed).
    My only issue with Stubbs is that, just projecting down the line, if he, Drabek, and Linecum all develop into the calibur of big leaguers they're capable of becoming, then Drabek and Linecum are both going to be worth two Stubbs.

Pitching is the currency by which baseball is played. A surplus of good pitching can bring you an embarassment of riches if you play your cards right.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    His "boogeyman in the closet" was he was emotional on the mound, had a bad car wreck that no one has said involved or did not involve alcohol and he USED to have a big party problem, but apparently that hasnt been a problem since his junior year.
    As for Ankiel, his talent was never in question it was just all in his head. The Reds wont take Drabek, but I know I would like them to.
    There are also the steroid rumors which probably outweigh the other concerns.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    There are also the steroid rumors which probably outweigh the other concerns.
    The steroid rumors, in my opinion are just due to him being a big strong dominating sports athlete, with a frustration problem at times.

Drabek is suppose to be a big head case, with some character issues.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Baseball America called the Reds last year on Jay Bruce.
    I am well of that, just thinking that with a different regime, and an ambiguous write up, that they aren't really sure.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I want Lincecum for the Red's his arm sounds like a young Kevin Browns thus he won't go down in flames and he has a damn decent upside.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I still want the Reds to draft one of the highly rated college pitchers. Stubbs...I really don't know how I would feel if the Reds drafted him. He wouldn't be a total waste of a pick, IMO, but I still prefer a college pitcher. Stubbs could develop into a Mike Cameron(gold glove center fielder, good power, takes his share of walks, and strikesout a lot), which would make him a great player, or he could be the next B.J. Szymanski. We'll see how it plays out.

I wouldn;t be that happy with Stubbs. I've got a new crush on Max.

This morning's update still has Stubbs to Cincy. They also have the Cards getting Max at 30 and Kennedy at 42.

Turn Off Ads?