Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BA updated mock top 15

Re: BA updated mock top 15

The best thing for the Reds would be if Stubbs, Drabek, Rowell, and Kershaw were all off the board by the time they pick. That should take away all temptation to pick anything other than a college pitcher.

Seriously, the Reds need to get some advanced pitching in the system. If Drabek is considered a true stud SS prospect in the Upton mold, then I might consider him as a SS. Otherwise, there are at least 8 good college pitching prospects in this draft, insuring that the Reds can get one.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Of all of the top prospects the guy I'd least like to see the Reds draft is Stubbs. I like his speed and defensive ability but the thought of using a top ten selection on a guy who many scouts don't think will hit for average makes me ill.

I'm hoping the Reds take the best pitcher available. I'd be happy with Morrow, Lincecum or Hochevar and I think atleast one of those guys should drop to #8. Drabek is another guy that intrigues me since he has the ability to be an impact pitcher or position player. Given the Reds history with first round pitching prospects I like having the option to convert him to an infielder if he were to run into arm problems later down the road.
    Last edited by nmculbreth; 06-05-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would take Drabek at #8. His stuff is probably the best stuff available in the draft. I wouldnt be to upset with a few other guys. I would like Hochevar and Miller and Lincoln as well. Other than those 4, I wouldnt mind seeing Kershaw or Rowell. I dont want Stubbs. I dont want Stubbs. I dont want Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I would take Drabek at #8. His stuff is probably the best stuff available in the draft. I wouldnt be to upset with a few other guys. I would like Hochevar and Miller and Lincoln as well. Other than those 4, I wouldnt mind seeing Kershaw or Rowell. I dont want Stubbs. I dont want Stubbs. I dont want Stubbs.
    i agree, if certain guys are gone or if he didnt have questions off the field. i just dont think he is so much better than 3 or 4 of the college guys or kershaw to take him before them. IMO

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I love Drabek's stuff (hell, I was amazed and shocked he fell to Washington at 15 in the mock) -- but I hate taking high school pitchers in the first round. It's a quandry. I think I'd be very happy with him if he was selected, though. The only name that's been attached to the Reds that I'm not really not thrilled about is Drew Stubbs, honestly. I'd especially dislike Stubbs as a pick if he was taken AHEAD of Drabek and Linecum.

Having said that, I really don't see the Reds going after Drabek -- just a feeling I have.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I have to agree with you CE. I dont really see them going with Kershaw either if he were available. I think if they go HS it will be Bill Rowell, but even that seems to have cooled down a little bit. 24 hours from now though, we will know who we took and I will feel better, or worse (if it is Stubbs).

I'm in the minority in that I see the value of Stubbs. Apparently, he is a lock to be a plus defender in CF -- and since he's from a big-time college program he could probably step into GAB very soon and provide that defensive upgrade. Then you get the nice offensive tools all around (power and speed).

Interesting that Detroit seems to be the other top 10 club looking at Stubbs (unless the late rumors re: KC are true). Last year it was the same thing -- I really think the Reds wanted Maybin as their future CF, and had to settle for Bruce after the Tigers took their guy.

That said, I wouldn't mind if the Reds took Drabek -- he seems like a profound talent, unlike Kershaw. I could live with any of the college pitchers, but am the most curious about Lincecum, since his fastball/curve stuff is considered so good.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    lets hope not
    Why?

Because you don't want Lincecum closing, promoted to fast, or us playing in October?

I wouldn't have a problem with Drabek, if they decide he's a positional player. I think BA said that his bat is as good as Rowell's, and he might actually be able to stay short, but I'm not positive on that last part.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44
    How about Marrero? Where did he come from? He was top tier, then fell a long ways and now back to the top 15.
    He never performed up to expectations. There's plenty of worry about his ability to make consistent contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    He never performed up to expectations. There's plenty of worry about his ability to make consistent contact.
    Agreed, but I couldn't believe they had him at 13.

Drabek is apparently good enough with the bat that if he werent so good on the mound, he would be the best positional player in the high school crop. Problme is, he is just that much better on the mound. Even with how "deep" this years college pitching is, Drabek is the guy I would like to see if Miller and Hochevar are not available.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck
    After reading that again. I think it is pretty clear that BA doesn't have a good read on the Reds' intentions. They needed to list Stubbs as a Top 10 pick, and they might as well put him there. Don't put too much stock into it.
    Baseball America called the Reds last year on Jay Bruce.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Why?

Because you don't want Lincecum closing, promoted to fast, or us playing in October?
    closing or promoted to fast. whoever we draft, i want them to get every opp as a starter first

Problme is, he is just that much better on the mound.
    I guess I just don't see that as a problem.

Turn Off Ads?