Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Getting into Dunn's Head? (And not the opposition).

Re: Getting into Dunn's Head? (And not the opposition).

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    That's just the point. You can throw out any stats you want, but I've seen them both. A lot. And there is no comparison. None.
    Did you see Rose prior to 1970?

Because essentially that's where the argument dies with me, because if you are talking Pete Rose career wise it is unfair.

Kinda like you coming into the thread and telling everyone how stupid they are.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Did you see Rose prior to 1970?
    Check out Cyclone's post #72 on this thread. I think it's as fair an analysis as one could make.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Check out Cyclone's post #72 on this thread. I think it's as fair an analysis as one could make.
    I did, and it was.

That said Pete Rose to everyone is not 26 year old Pete Rose in 1967.

If you want to compare guys who just turned 26 then that's as far as you can go IMO, otherwise you're comparing a legend to a 26 year old slugger with 2000 PA's and that's totally askew.

I did, and it was.

That said Pete Rose to everyone is not 26 year old Pete Rose in 1967.

If you want to compare guys who just turned 26 then that's as far as you can go IMO, otherwise you're comparing a legend to a 26 year old slugger with 2000 PA's and that's totally askew.
    I'm not trying to be snippy...

But a minute ago it was 1970... now it's 1967. I'm confused.

I'm not trying to be snippy...

But a minute ago it was 1970... now it's 1967. I'm confused.
    Because I thought he was 26 in 1970

Which he wasn't

OK... I follow now.

I still follow the argument that 9 Peter Edwards would beat 9 Adam Troys. And there ain't no stats gonna back me up. Sorry for that.

I honestly can't believe this has gone on for five pages. I just can't. There is no comparison. None. Throwing stats around for either player is a waste of time. This is a common sense argument. If you can't see that Rose was vastly superior to Dunn, you either didn't see Pete Rose play or you're related to Adam Dunn. I can't see any other options.
    The point I got from Cyclone's post is that they are more comparable than people think. Dunn is that good. If he manages to keep up what he has done so far in his career over 15 years he could be in the same league as Rose. Obviously that's a big if, but DUnn has shown that he has the skill to do so.

OK... I follow now.

I still follow the argument that 9 Peter Edwards would beat 9 Adam Troys. And there ain't no stats gonna back me up. Sorry for that.
    OWP

Offensive Winning Percentage. A Bill James(satan) stat, usually derived from runs created. In EqA terms, it could be calculated as (EQA/refEQA)^5, where refEQA is some reference EQA, such as league average (always .260) or the position-averaged EQA.
    Under the age of 26

Dunn = .647

Rose = .554

Under the age of 26

Dunn = .647

Rose = .554
    Yes, but Dunn would not cut his opponent's guts out and use them to resin his bats like Pete would. Like I said, no stats will support my argument. Except maybe Pete's 3 rings.

Like I said, no stats will support my argument. Except maybe Pete's 3 rings.
    Rings are team dependent... one player can't win a WS all by himself.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Kinda like you coming into the thread and telling everyone how stupid they are.
    I'm not saying anyone is stupid. I know you saw Pete play, but I'd be curious how many of the posters arguing for Dunn in this thread actually did. Because I honestly can't understand how anyone who saw them both would make that argument. I just can't. This is a classic case where certain statistics are misleading, because the two aren't in the same league. The only situation I may choose Dunn over Rose for is if I really, really need a home run... And even then, if I really, really need it ... I'm not so sure.

We're talking about a top-25 player all-time. One of the true giants of the game. A guy who won more games than any player in history. I'm honestly not sure Dunn is even in the top-25 of current players.

This isn't a knock on Dunn. It's just terribly unfair to compare him to Rose. George Foster maybe. But not Pete.

I'm not saying anyone is stupid. I know you saw Pete play, but I'd be curious how many of the posters arguing for Dunn in this thread actually did. Because I honestly can't understand how anyone who saw them both would make that argument. I just can't. This is a classic case where certain statistics are misleading, because the two aren't in the same league. The only situation I may choose Dunn over Rose for is if I really, really need a home run... And even then, if I really, really need it ... I'm not so sure.

We're talking about a top-25 player all-time. One of the true giants of the game. A guy who won more games than any player in history. I'm honestly not sure Dunn is even in the top-25 of current players.

This isn't a knock on Dunn. It's just terribly unfair to compare him to Rose. George Foster maybe. But not Pete.
    I'd say not many.

But Pete wasn't the Pete we know from the 70's when he was as old as Dunn.

I loved Pete as a player a doubles machine, tenacious, smart a damn fine baseball player, a machine...not many players play past age 45 and you can mark down right now that Dunn will be lucky to play past 37. When he's 37 then I'll look at their accomplishments as a whole. But if they were both playing now at age 26 I'd ponder who would have better career batting numbers at the end of their tenure, but I doubt I'd ponder who was a better "baseball player"

Code:
    AGE >= 45

AT BATS                         AB     
    1    Julio Franco                553   
    2    Cap Anson                   424   
    3    Pete Rose                   237   
    4    Jack Quinn                  130   
    5    Charlie Hough                96   
    6    Satchel Paige                69   
    7    Carlton Fisk                 53   
    8    Sam Thompson                 31   
    9    Hoyt Wilhelm                 27   
    10   Hod Lisenbee                 19

I'd say not many.

But Pete wasn't the Pete we know from the 70's when he was as old as Dunn.

I loved Pete as a player a doubles machine, tenacious, smart a damn fine baseball player, a machine...not many players play past age 45 and you can mark down right now that Dunn will be lucky to play past 37. When he's 37 then I'll look at their accomplishments as a whole. But if they were both playing now at age 26 I'd ponder who would have better career batting numbers at the end of their tenure, but I doubt I'd ponder who was a better "baseball player"
    Fair enough, but we knew who Pete was by the time he reached his sixth season in the majors (hard to believe, but this is Dunn's sixth). And I still say if you judge each at the same point in their careers -- their sixth season -- it's no comparison.

If you want to argue that Dunn will have better a better OPS when he's finished, fine. But that's a different argument.

I think the cause for dispute in comparison is because Rose and Dunn are two different kinds of players.

Dunn is a BB-HR-driven OPS guy while Rose hit for a high average (and admittedly walked a fair amount too) and his slugging was driven by doubles and hustle triples. Not to mention Roses apparent intensity level vs. Dunn's phlegmatic approach. So, from an intuitive level, doing a comparison doesn't seem to make sense.

But comparing them from a RC/27 perspective is pretty creative and merits intelligent discussion.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?