Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kearns, is anyone paying attention?

Kearns, is anyone paying attention?

This year Kearns is very quietly putting together a really nice season and I'm surprised it hasn't gained any attention. His stats are .291/.371/.539/.910 with 12 HR, 60 hits, 15 doubles, 38 RBI and 37 runs scored. He is on pace to have a monster season in scoring 108 runs, 176 hits, 44 doubles, 35 HR, 111 RBI. Not to mention he is playing Gold Glove right field in only committing 1 error all season while playing extremely good and solid defense and having a cannon for an arm. I think we are starting to see the old Kearns of 2002 shine through after a few years of injuries.
    Last edited by harangatang; 06-05-2006 at 06:15 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns, is anyone paying attention?

If he keeps on his current pace he will be the Reds MVP (not including pitching). It is the OBP that is impressive to me. He has been much more selective of late.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Let's hope he continues to not get attention. Let pitchers think they're avoiding Dunn and Junior. I must say though, I think he's really benefitted from having Dunn and Hatteberg on base ahead of him. He's really doesn't have much pressure on him right now and between that and his health, he really seems comfortable.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He's caught my attention. It's really the Kearns I expect all along. It's not gaudy enough numbers for national attention though. We are so much better off with him and Wily Mo gone. With Freel and even dino down on the farm he was expendable. Boy oh boy has Arroyo worked out. The way Yan looked his 1st two outtings we have a genis at the helm. Knock on wood! I don't want to jinx him.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

All dyslexics must untie!

The last time I compared AK to Al Kaline his career took a dive, so I'm not gonna do that again

(oops)
    Never overlook the obvious

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

That's great news, what's even better news is that he has room to improve. I still believe he needs his eyes checked, sometimes it's as if he doesn't see the ball out of the pitchers hand that well especially w/ sliders away. Marty commented on it (sorta) a few days ago "he swings through so many good pitches" of course I'm paraphrasing as it wasn't his exact words but close enough.

That and if he would quit trying to kill every pitch, but I have seen some improvement there w/ 2 strikes on him as he hasn't been trying to pull the outside pitches he is going with the pitch far more often.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

"So Fla Red"

AK -- I thought FCB had him shipped out of town post haste a couple weeks ago

For the record -- Given his injury history and upcoming bigtime spike in salary, I agree with the idea shopping him to see what kind of haul we could get (sell high) in return.

With Griffey's contract, unless we're talking a meaningful payroll bump next season -- I can't see how the Reds can keep Dunn/Kearns in the fold for '07/'08.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    AK -- I thought FCB had him shipped out of town post haste a couple weeks ago

For the record -- Given his injury history and upcoming bigtime spike in salary, I agree with the idea shopping him to see what kind of haul we could get (sell high) in return.

With Griffey's contract, unless we're talking a meaningful payroll bump next season -- I can't see how the Reds can keep Dunn/Kearns in the fold for '07/'08.
    That being said...trade Dunn

I think Kearns will end up with about 40 doubles and 30 HRs. Pretty good if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    Marty commented on it (sorta) a few days ago "he swings through so many good pitches" of course I'm paraphrasing as it wasn't his exact words but close enough.

he is going with the pitch far more often.
    He is one of the worst mistake pitch hitters I have ever seen! Which makes me surprised everytime he hits very good pitches for opp HR's or gap doubles. I don't understand him period. I think his swing is ugly, he can't hit an inside pitch, yet he has these numbers. I wonder if other teams just don't know how to pitch him. Why don't they bust him in more? I would never throw an outside pitch to him unless it is a setup. I think about 9 of his HR's are to opposite field on outside pitches. He is doing great right now...hope he can keep it up.

As far as the "gold glove" fielding someone mentioned, I wouldn't dare say that. Few errors in the OF doesn't mean good fielding. He had two balls in Washington in his glove and out that could have very easily been errors. But he is very solid anyway. You know who leads the league in OF assists? He must be a great OF'er too. Hint: he was a 2nd baseman last year.

I hope they don't start talking about his great start on tv b/c if everybody starts talking about him I think he will start pressing and ruin what COULD be a great year for him.I hope he stays under the radar b/c if he does then I see a monster year for Kearns.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    That and if he would quit trying to kill every pitch, but I have seen some improvement there w/ 2 strikes on him as he hasn't been trying to pull the outside pitches he is going with the pitch far more often.
    Austin Kearns, when behind in the count:
    Code:
    AB   	 R   	 H   	2B   	3B   	HR   	RBI   	TB   	BB   	SO   	 OBP   	 SLG   	 AVG   	 OPS   	
    54 	11 	11 	4 	0 	2 	5 	21 	0 	20 	.228 	.389 	.204 	.617
    Rich Aurillia is best on the team, incidentally, when he's behind in the count with an OPS of .943 -- followed by Freel (.900), Ross (.895), Encarnacion (.807) and Griffey (.778).

Fun Austin Kearns fact for the day: Austin absolutely ROCKS when he makes contact on the first pitch
    Code:
    AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	TB	RBI	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    26	0	13	3	0	3	25	10	.500	.483	.962	1.444
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I have noticed that is why he has been off my bench in my keeper league for quite some time. With that in mind I still trade him for a solid number 3 starter, due to the fact in my league pitching is gold. This is also true in the majors and Bronson is proof an decent 3rd combined with the right offense can skyrocket a team into contention. I would miss Austin on the Red's alot but this Jim Coombs kid has to get a push now and live up to the hype
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

kind of sounds like some of you are rooting against him. He is an amazing outfielder and becoming the player that I thought he would be. you don't trade your best outfielder and one of your top hitters. I hope he's on the Reds for the next 10 years. Now is the time to lock him up to, at least, a 3 year deal. It would be a sad day if the Reds traded him for anything other than a proven ace starter.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred
    Milton will fall off after next year so that will help, JR will be gone in 09..it's possible to work deals for Dunn and Kearns.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?