Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2006 Official MLB Draft Thread

Here's a little blurb from BP on Buckley, with a bold on the part I liked to see
    Cincinnati Reds
    Scouting Director: Chris Buckley. Buckley learned under Wilken, spending 17 years in the Toronto organization before joining the Reds this year. He was the assistant scouting director in Toronto from 1999-2000, assumed scouting director responsibilities in 2001 when Wilken moved up, and then joined Wilken as an assistant GM in 2004. In the three drafts he conducted, all three of the first-round picks reached the majors, and two of three second-rounders have.
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5153
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: 2006 Official Reds Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    Word out of KC is that the Royals have agreed to a contract with Brad Lincoln and will be taking him #1 overall.

This is going to be a fun draft, especially with rumors swirling about Andrew Miller's contract demands (8 figures?!).
    Jonathan Mayo came out at 4am Eastern today projecting that the Royals will take Hochevar:

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NAS...ives&fext=.jsp

If Miller drops to the Reds, the Reds should NOT be thrown off if Miller's camp is threatening not to sign. He wants to pitch. I think the guy regrets going to college at all.

Plus if I'm wrong, this is such a weak class this year, we'd likely get a supplemental pick next year, who's nearly as good as what's at #8 this year.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 06-06-2006 at 09:43 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

if somehow Miller drops to the Reds at #8, it will be a moment of truth for the franchise.
    It will also mean that teams like LA and Detroit don't feel he and his agent are worth the hassle or the extra $$$. I wouldn't see it as a defining moment at all. The team has ponied up for Dunn. Not ponying up for Andrew Miller would be small potatoes by comparison, in my opinion. There are other intriguing talents out there, and, as we know, the draft is an inexact science. Which is not to say I wouldn't like them to take Miller -- I would. I just wouldn't see it as a sign that the organization is fundamentally screwed up.

I would take it as a bad sign that top talents and their agents can subvert the purpose of the draft by making dollar demands that steer these talents to the big money clubs.

Re: 2006 Official Reds Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Plus if I'm wrong, this is such a weak class this year, we'd likely get a supplemental pick next year, who's nearly as good as what's at #8 this year.
    Excellent point, chili.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    It will also mean that teams like LA and Detroit don't feel he and his agent are worth the hassle or the extra $$$. I wouldn't see it as a defining moment at all. The team has ponied up for Dunn. Not ponying up for Andrew Miller would be small potatoes by comparison, in my opinion. There are other intriguing talents out there, and, as we know, the draft is an inexact science. Which is not to say I wouldn't like them to take Miller -- I would. I just wouldn't see it as a sign that the organization is fundamentally screwed up.

I would take it as a bad sign that top talents and their agents can subvert the purpose of the draft by making dollar demands that steer these talents to the big money clubs.
    Miller's been the consensus top pick in this draft for three years. That almost never happens. I'm not interested in excuses from the Reds, I want the giant dominant southpaw that everyone recognizes as the single best talent on the board. Sometimes greatness falls into your lap. Just because other franchises may be playing hot potato with it doesn't mean the Reds should follow suit.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

On a completely separate note, BA is reporting that incoming Royals GM Dayton Moore leans toward Drew Stubbs, though he won't be involved in the pick.

I don't mind Stubbs as much as some around here, but given some of the arms on the board that seems immensely messed up. It also astounds me that an incoming GM would pass on a chance to determine the #1 pick in the draft. It's probably the biggest decision the Royals will make all year and Moore's washed his hands of the whole matter.

Just when you think the Royals have hit bottom in terms of how messed up a franchise can be they let an outgoing regime make a #1 draft pick decision. Astounding.
    Last edited by M2; 06-06-2006 at 10:20 AM.

That is really messed up.

Probably one of the biggest opportunities to start to mold the franchise in the way you want it to grow as a new GM, and you punt the decision.

That's flat out amazing. Glad we got Krivsky.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Just when you think the Royals have hit bottom in terms of how messed up a franchise can be they let an outgoing regime make a #1 draft pick decision.
    I see your point, but the Royals have made a couple of good #1 picks in the last two years (Butler and Gordon) and it isn't impossible to imagine that Moore would want to keep a couple of decision makers out of that scouting department. In my mind, it makes sense to defer to the guys who have been paid to scout, whether you're picking at #1 or #10.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    That is really messed up.

Probably one of the biggest opportunities to start to mold the franchise in the way you want it to grow as a new GM, and you punt the decision.

That's flat out amazing. Glad we got Krivsky.
    Will you be glad if he takes Stubbs?

On a side note, this whole thing with Stubbs reminds me of Homer Bailey vs Chris Nelson two years ago for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I see your point, but the Royals have made a couple of good #1 picks in the last two years (Butler and Gordon) and it isn't impossible to imagine that Moore would want to keep a couple of decision makers out of that scouting department. In my mind, it makes sense to defer to the guys who have been paid to scout, whether you're picking at #1 or #10.
    While I can see trusting your scouts to an extent, Moore's being paid to make big decisions. I'd say whether to lock up Emil Brown pales in comparison to the #1 overall pick. At the very least you'd think he'd want to make sure the money/talent call being made was in line with his own thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Will you be glad if he takes Stubbs?

On a side note, this whole thing with Stubbs reminds me of Homer Bailey vs Chris Nelson two years ago for some reason.
    Depends on who we passed on to take Stubbs. I like Stubbs, but I think the Reds would be better off nabbing a college pitcher at #8 since there is a drop off fairly quickly (before the Reds 2nd pick for sure) in talent with those college pitchers.

If the Reds go Stubbs and then a high school project pitcher at #2, and a reach MI pick at #3, I would be upset.

I'd like to see them go college pitcher, high school bat, high school or college pitcher in the first 3 rounds. I think if they went that way, they'd get good value with each pick in this draft. Hard to tell who will be on the board to project 2nd and 3rd picks, though.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

What's the deal with the Stubbs buzz? I've only watched a little bit of tape on him but I love his balance, he's said to be very strong, and his approach is good. What's the hangup from scouts?

Is this just a case of other teams trying to bury him so he falls? It happens more than you might think.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

At the very least you'd think he'd want to make sure the money/talent call being made was in line with his own thinking.
    Yes, true. In Moore's case, he's schooled under Schuerholtz in Atlanta, and they've done well drafting HS players -- in part, perhaps, because they've always been at the bottom of the first round. This is his first experience in the stratosphere of the first round, and maybe he's finding himself a little oxygen-starved.

I pray my wireless holds up today, so I can catch the draft. Went out right in the middle of the game yesterday, so I ended up taking off for the bar. Low and behold, I get home later, and the Reds squeaked out a great win.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Yes, true. In Moore's case, he's schooled under Schuerholtz in Atlanta, and they've done well drafting HS players -- in part, perhaps, because they've always been at the bottom of the first round. This is his first experience in the stratosphere of the first round, and maybe he's finding himself a little oxygen-starved.
    Good point. A #28 pick isn't nearly the priority decision that a #1 pick is.

Turn Off Ads?